Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

elderly english setter

psych_65
May 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM
My English Setter gets into 'moods', he's legs start to twitch, usually his left front leg and he slumps down. Sometimes he starts to drool, but he usually tends to look past us when we try to call him, it's like for a minute or so he's not there. After a bit he seems ok. I know he has arthritis because of his breed and age (9 years old). Does anyone know what this could be?

Dee-O-Gee
May 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
51895 to the board psych_65.

We have a 5 YO English Springer however; we have not experienced this with him. Its strange that his left front leg starts to twitch because I always thought that I trained our Springer (Gryphon) to be a south :pawprint:

Everything he does it starts with his front left paw. While I can't help you with your guys behavior, it makes me wonder if this is something to watch out for :shrug:

When you have a moment (o.k. moments over) we would LOVE to see pictures of your Springer. What is his/her name?

TeriM
May 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the board :).

I would schedule a vet check for your pup. It almost sounds to me like he is having some mini siezures or alternatively maybe he is having some painful muscle spasms. Good luck :goodvibes:.

psych_65
May 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I put some pics of my two puppies and my cat (had to give her up) on an album on my profile if you wanna see them
Thanks for the input, I was thinking something along the line of mini-stroke, but its weird because of a minute or two, he's back to his old self, absolutely no signs of what had happened. Even when he's in the middle of his episodes there is no pain that I can see at all, but he is very still, but I have noticed he does #1 a lot more now, so I;'m wondering if it may have something to do with his kidneys...or it could be stress from having a puppy around, but it does still worry me, thank you for your responses

hazelrunpack
May 12th, 2009, 12:59 AM
First of all, welcome to the board, psych_65.

What you describe sounds like mild seizures. Best to have him vet-checked since seizures can worsen with age and the faster you get him diagnosed, the better his prognosis. Increased urination can be an indication of kidney problems or diabetes, so he needs to be checked out for those, as well.

How is his appetite and water intake? Is he still playing with your younger dog?

CarolynInPEI
May 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the Board!!!!

I agree that I trip to the vet would be a good idea. It also sounds to me like your dog could be having mild seizures. I'm not a vet or anything, but what your describing sounds very familiar to me because my dog had seizures. I would definitely go for a check up with your vet.

psych_65
May 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
thanks to all of you, he'll be heading to the vet as soon as the vet can take a look at him. As for your question about food and water intake, he's got a little winter weight, i was thinking that could be part of the shaking legs, so we're taking him for short walks and hopefully it can get longer and longer till he's back down to about 60lbs again. His water intake has been normal, if he's outside in the hot weather he'll drink a bit more, but that's too be expected. But how much he pees is nowhere near his intake, every chance he gets he goes. He plays with Cuda when they're outside, but not int he house anymore, we have hardwood so it's too slippery for him.

Thanks for all the welcoming!

hazelrunpack
May 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
So he's lifting his leg...are you sure he's peeing? Is the stream strong or weak and pulsing? Maybe he's got a bit of a bladder infection and is only peeing a little bit each time out. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, if he's intact, have his prostate checked out. Prostatitis can cause similar symptoms to a UTI.

I hope he checks out okay and is back to his old self in no time! :goodvibes: