Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hey!

Luvmypitgirls
May 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ok so I took a online break to do some reno's, well not much got done because first of all my window supplier brought the wrong windows, then informed me my windows haven't yet been fabricated, somehow our order got misplaced:frustrated: (we ordered these windows 6 months ago).
We went to get more of our laminate flooring, only to find out that the manufacturer discontinued it.:frustrated: Which means, I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of the unfinished floors, I guess I'm going to tile, not my first choice:frustrated:
I'm so sick and tired of this house I can't even begin to convey my frustrations.
So while reading my local newspaper the other day, I came across an ad for an inner village acreage for sale.
My heart lept up into my throat, just a lil.
How was I going to approach my hubby about it because, I made a deal with him just a few short weeks ago, that I would stop talking about buying a new house for a couple years if he bought me new livingroom furniture.
I got the furniture, and now I was about to break my end of the deal, for good reason tho, this property is a great opportunity. My biggest draw to this place is the fact that I can once again foster more Pitbulls, several more if I choose to.
It's an old 1940's farmhouse, it was renovated in the 90's, it still has some issues but over all the character and opportunity it would provide, makes those issues a mute point.
So today hubby is talking to the bank, we were already prequalified for a new mortgage amount, however we have not been preapproved for this property as of yet.
We will keep this house, our son is going to rent it , I'm hoping we can re-write this mortgage for a lower interest rate to make it easier for him.
He already has roommates lined up (pre approved by me of course, I know which of his friends are trustworthy and the ones that well lets just say I wouldn't let them darken my doorstep let alone live here).
So I'm going to continue with my painting and other minor reno's here for now, but I'm hoping and praying that by the end of the week, we will own a cute lil farmhouse with a massive yard for our furrybutts.:pray:
Anyhow, hope all is well with everyone, got a lot of reading to do to get caught up!
:)

SIL
May 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Luvmypitgirls...Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out for the new house.:fingerscr:fingerscr

Mat&Murph
May 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hey Glad to hear renos are going well. Keeping fingures and paws crossed for you and the new farm!!!

Luvmypitgirls
May 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Luvmypitgirls...Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out for the new house.:fingerscr:fingerscr

Thank you, I so want to move! This house has sucked the life out of me, perhaps if I had an "aslan" to help me, it wouldn't be so bad :)

I have an urge to become a "country bumkin", this place has a huge garden that I want to get dirty in.
I also have a desire to plant sunflowers!
There is a heated detached garage at the back of the property where I can really delve into my hobby of refinishing antiques.

The nice thing about this place is it is so quiet, no revving engines and boomboxes blasting, just birds singing and the odd dog barking, (sigh) it was heaven.
I'm trying not to get to excited tho, I hate disappointments.
If we don't get it (financing and home inspection will be deciding factors), I will take an equity loan on this house (can't call it a home cuz I hate it so much), hire a contractor to come in and finish the job, cuz I just can't do it anymore.

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear you're having yet more issues with supply companies/stores :grouphug: first the furniture now the windows/flooring :rolleyes:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr for getting the new house :goodvibes:

Luvmypitgirls
May 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Sorry to hear you're having yet more issues with supply companies/stores :grouphug: first the furniture now the windows/flooring :rolleyes:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr for getting the new house :goodvibes:

Thank you for the goodvibes!
Apparently I'm not the only one having issues with suppliers and such, my neighbor hired a company to reroof his house, they were supposed to show up yesterday but they were a no show.
A friend of mine who is building a new house, was informed that the company she chose for her kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities, shut their doors for good, and took her deposit with them. :frustrated: Sign of the times so it seems, with the sagging economy.

We should know sometime today or tomorrow if we are approved for the second mortgage. Our broker prequalified us for an amount based on hubby's income, but now it's all in the banks hands and whether they want to lend us the money.
I'm researching home inspectors, I'm hoping to find one that specializes in houses that old. There are some sagging floor issues that need to be addressed, not uncommon for old farmhouses, but I need an idea about how expensive it will be to fix for negotiating purposes. I'm thinking it's probably going to be pricey to fix, if I can get that cost knocked off their asking price I'll be happy.

I have knots in my stomach, as much as we want this property, I'm also a tad worried about finding reliable experienced help in addressing some of the issues.

luckypenny
May 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
All I can say is, "go for the tiles." :D

Sorry your renos weren't going as smoothly as they could.

In regards to the house you're interested in buying, is there an association of engineers in your area? If you call them, they may be able to refer you to a recent grad in building/structural engineering (less expensive than a company) to take a look at the structure of the house. If any major repairs/improvements need to be done, call around for estimates. We found that small companies where the owner actually does the estimates and the work, comes to a lot less expensive than places who both send out sales reps and sub contract the work. We've found differences as high as 50%, same work, same quality of materials too. (Don't forget to verify that they're licenced and insured for such large jobs).

Oh, and don't forget to keep all your receipts for the renos. The federal gov't (the prov gov't in Que as well, not sure about elsewhere) is offering a deduction for any costs related to home improvement for 2009.

Good luck :fingerscr

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Oh wow! That new place sounds wonderful! I'd love to be a country bumpkin too. I really hope you get it!

Reno's suck. I lived for almost 9 months in a condo that was being renovated. Of course the minute I moved in, all reno work stopped for lack of money, so I lived in this place with no kitchen, a half finished bathroom and my bedroom and walk-in closet stuffed to the gills with boxes.

To the floors. I'd go for the tile. If you get different laminate it would be too noticeable. People expect wood/laminate to match if you are doing the entire house.

aslan
May 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hey LMPG...LP is absolutely right, if you have to hire a contractor, go for one who does the work, not one who hires sub-contractors,,they don't 100% guarantee a subs work, and it also jacks up the prices. Also ask for references.. Sagging floors may not be a huge issue. If you can do a walkthrough of the house with your dh, and can get in the basement, check the exterior walls for cracks. Main thing you want to look at is the floor joices. dh will know what i mean. Could just be and age sag and hubby could repair it himself.

rainbow
May 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't have any advise to give you but just sending lots of good wishes that everything works out in your favour ......good luck. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Luvmypitgirls
May 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS our financials are in order!:D
Going for a second walk thru tomorrow, as well as looking at another property that recently came on the market.
Also have a home inspector lined up for the older house, 40 yrs experience, and specializes in heritage homes.
I know it's going to be the older house but I have to look at the other one too, ...just incase.
Thanks for all the good vibes and well wishes, it's paid off!:D
Ohhh I can't wait to get outta here!
Son is going to rent this place from us, and we have a friend that is going to move in as well, (to make sure everything is well and bills are paid).
whoooohooooooooo so excited !

growler~GateKeeper
May 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
:highfive: good news!

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for tomorrow

ancientgirl
May 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Good luck!