Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I couldn't believe this!!!

rg_girlca
May 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
When I was at the vets yesterday this woman came in crying while holding a beautiful silver Main Coon tabby. It broke my heart to see her crying so hard over her cat that I asked my husband to find out what was wrong. To make a l-o-n-g story short, this woman had brought her cat in to be PTS because he has had diarrhea for 2 weeks and she couldn't afford to have him vetted. "HUH!!!!" She can't afford to have him vetted, but can afford the cost of having him PTS. :frustrated: I told my husband to ask her if she would surrender her cat over to me and I would have him taken care of. Nope she wouldn't do it, because she said that he is too use to her and he doesn't like other people. When I was up at the counter she came to me and thanked me for the offer. I said, "That's okay, if you're willing to kill your cat, rather than give him to me, that's your problem not mine, but if you should change your mind, I will be outside." Not 10 seconds after I was outside, she came out and surrendered him to me. There's more to this story, but I won't go into it.
Anyway he is at my vets right now under observation to find out exactly what is going on with him. I didn't want to bring him home just in case he had something contagious. Having 6 cats and a dog and 2 foster kittens, I didn't want to put them at risk. I'll know more tomorrow when I call to find out what is what with him.

The main reason for my post is, if anyone knows of a Main Coon rescue here in Montreal that I could contact because we don't know if we are going to keep him or not, I would appreciate it. His name is Nino, is 5 years old, weighs 15 lbs, is on CD diet due to crystals from 2 years ago and is FULLY DECLAWED!

Frenchy
May 10th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I told my husband to ask her if she would surrender her cat over to me and I would have him taken care of. Nope she wouldn't do it, because she said that he is too use to her and he doesn't like other people.

:wall: :wall: omg I hate it when they think like that ! Like an animal is better off dead than to try to rehome him !!!! :wall:

thank you so much for saving his life ! I know cat rescues are full capacity but , if he's neutered , and vaccination is up to date , some of the cat rescues will post them up for adoption on their website and on petfinder for you. I will pm you my e-mail, in case you need any help to find rescue help.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I hope the poor boy just has a tummy virus and recovers quickly :goodvibes:

Thank you for stepping in the way you did, rg_girlca. He'll never realize how close he came :eek: And now he'll have a long and happy life :highfive:

ancientgirl
May 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
You're an angel for taking him. The logic of this woman was crazy!

That poor cat! I hope you or a rescue is able to find him a loving home.

Mat&Murph
May 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I hope the cat just developped a food allergie. That would teach her. I have never heard of anything sooo crazy in my life. Hope he finds a wonderful forever home

chico2
May 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
OMG,what an experience,but thank you,thank you for saving him from death:grouphug:
This woman had him declawed on all four paws and wants him killed because he has tummy-problems,well,she did not deserve him for sure.

Maine Coon cats are the most beautiful big cats,wonderful temperament,if you cannot find a home for him,I am sure he'll compliment your crew and it would be no problems.
I had a Maine Coon many,many years ago,you could not find a sweeter,calmer cat.
Hopefully the fact he has no claws at all:evil:,has not altered his naturally wonderful temperament.
If you can,would you post a pic for us,I LOVE Maine Coons,wish I could take him:cat:

lUvMyLaB<3
May 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
*aww* That cat is lucky.. you are his ANGEL for being there for him!!!! I am SOoOO Happy that crazy changed her mind! How can she live with herself if she did not??

happens too often.. that is why I have my foster!! left at the vets to be pts because they could not afford the care, they signed her over to the vet, and now she is here for awhile.. isn't it sad?

again.. you are awesome for having the courage to do what you did, there will be special rewards for you one day! please keep updates about the poor baby!

rg_girlca
May 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I just happen to have my camera on me and took 2 pictures of him while waiting for the vet. :)

Frency, the vet pulled his file and the last time he was brought in was in 2007 when he had bladder problems. He is neutered and he will be up to date on his shots while he is at the vets. I will give an update tomorrow once I speak with the vet to find out what is going on with this gorgeous boy.

Introducing Nino.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/Pictures449.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/tiger04/Pictures452.jpg

What I couldn't get over, was that I had offered to even pay for the treatment with no strings attached so that she could have her cat back because it broke my heart to see how upset she was to lose her cat. She said, "No, you keep him." I was stunned by her answer. I don't know about you people, but if that were me and someone offered to pay for my cat to get better, I would be kissing the persons feet.

Also, so much for her saying he wasn't use to other people, well, he gave no resistance what so ever when I was holding him or when my husband held him and when the vet picked him up to put him on the scale, he wrapped his paws around her neck and she gave a big "AAAAAAWWWWWW" and gave him some lovings before she set him down to weigh him.

Rottielover
May 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
OMG is he gorgeous, Main coons are very dog like and one of the easier breeds o adjust to new situations. Sounds like the woman just did not want him anymore :(
Thank you for being his little angel.

sugarcatmom
May 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Nino is gorgeous!! :lovestruck: What kind of callous owner would be willing to murder their own cat over some diarrhea? There was some higher power looking out for him yesterday, thank goodness you were there.

He is neutered and he will be up to date on his shots while he is at the vets.

Any way you can hold off on the vaccinations for now? Only healthy cats should be vaccinated (even says so on the vial) and it might be a lot for his immune system to handle right now. I'm sure that if he was neutered and declawed, he's also been vaccinated at some point in his life, and that's likely all he really needs. To put your mind at ease, you could have him tested for the main transmissible diseases to make sure he isn't harbouring anything.

Thanks for saving him!!! :grouphug: You're an angel. :angel:

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Oh, he's absolutely beautiful!!! :flirt: Sounds like just a lovely temperament, too--huggin' the vet like that :cloud9:

rg_girlca
May 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thank you all very much for your lovely compliments, but I wouldn't call myself an Angel, just someone who loves cats so much who couldn't see a beautiful soul such as Nino being needlessly PTS.

Sugarcatmom; The thing is, that the vet said that she wasn't even sure if he even had diarrhea for 2 weeks, because his rectum didn't show any signs of it and his fur was clean back there. Unless the woman cleaned it herself.
Also, he had no temperature, his eyes were clear, no haws showing and all in all seemed completely healthy. That's why I agreed on keeping him at the vets for 2 days for observation and for her to do any blood tests that she feels he should have.

What kind of quality canned food do you recommend?

Any way you can hold off on the vaccinations for now? Only healthy cats should be vaccinated (even says so on the vial) and it might be a lot for his immune system to handle right now. I'm sure that if he was neutered and declawed, he's also been vaccinated at some point in his life, and that's likely all he really needs. To put your mind at ease, you could have him tested for the main transmissible diseases to make sure he isn't harbouring anything.

Thanks for saving him!!! :grouphug: You're an angel. :angel:

mollywog
May 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
wow! He is absolutely beautiful!!! :lovestruck: Do you think he is purebred Maine Coon? Those don't come cheap!!
Thank you for saving this handsome boy. Do you think you will try to keep him?? :p

Rottielover
May 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Uretic by wysong mixed with a high quality wet food as a suggestion. My cat is prone to blockages, and ever since I have done this, not one. :) just a suggestion

pattymac
May 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
OMG!! He's just what I'm looking for!! He's absolutely stunning!! How is he doing? I would sooo love to have him! I have 1 Maine Coon and a Manx and of course the dog...she's good with the kitties. I had 3 cats before Baxter passed away last winter. Could you PM me more about him and if you have some more pics...I know my Mom would fall in love with him in a second!

He looks like he's nice and healthy in his pics! I'm amazed a vet would declaw on the back.

sugarcatmom
May 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
What kind of quality canned food do you recommend?

Wellness is a popular one that's easy to find, although you should probably stay away from the fish flavours, which can exacerbate urinary tract issues. Other options are Innova Evo 95% meat, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature, Merrick, Precise....... I wouldn't recommend feeding any dry, not even the Wysong Uretic. Because cats have a naturally low thirst drive, they need moisture with their food. Crystals become a problem when urine is overly concentrated, as it tends to be when eating dry food. More info here: www.catinfo.org

14+kitties
May 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM
What a gorgeous kitty! Thank you for being his angel! What a loser of an owner he previously had. Did the vet witness her handing him over to you? Just in case she changes her mind. :wall::wall:
He doesn't look like he's been too sick. I would think a kitty who has had diahhrea for two weeks he would look quite a bit sicker and run down. Love his mane!! He could match Ms. Atty with hers!! :cloud9:

Dee-O-Gee
May 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
14+ is right...I sure hope that the previous owner signed something to relieve her/his pitiful duties of being a pet owner--shame on them :frustrated:

Mat&Murph
May 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
He is BEATIFUL!!! How could that woman do that???:wall: I just don't get it. He looks healthy enough!! Good for you saving this boy

Love4himies
May 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thank you for saving that cat's live, you are his :angel:.

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Oh my,what a beauty,he's missing the ear-tufts my Maine Coon had,but he's stunning:lovestruck:also looks a little smaller,my boy was a large 18lb's but not fat.
Nino's silver-color is just beautiful and what a face:lovestruck:I am sure he will have a wonderful future with someone who appreciates him,even if you cannot keep him.
and yes,you were his :angel2:of mercy:thumbs up

BMDLuver
May 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Looks more like a silver shaded persian mix to me. Either way, it's great you were able to help him.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
He's absolutely gorgeous! I get the feeling his former owner was just looking for an excuse to dump him. Shame on her.

rg_girlca
May 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you again everyone for your lovely comments. :)

Well, I spoke with the vet and apparently Nino has had a fever since yesterday, so he is on antibiotics for that. They don't know what is causing it at the moment as he is not showing any signs of not being well. He still hasn't made a poo for them to analize but she said that could be the technicians fault by not reading the card as it is stipulated they need a stool sample. Apart from that he is eating & drinking well and upon another examination seems very healthy and in no pain. He will be staying another night for observation and will be having a blood test to check for Feline Aids/Leukemia. She also talked about FIP, :eek: but said she will put that on the back burner for now.
She also thanked me so much for stepping up and rescuing Nino as he is so loveable and beautiful.

May I have some prayers that everything turns out well for this gorgeous boy.
I would hate my efforts to turn sour on me.

Melinda
May 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
*sending up prayers for Nino and crossing all fingers, paws and fins here*:grouphug:

ancientgirl
May 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Good luck to Nino! I hope he doesn't have anything serious. Could it be he's just under stress?

Mat&Murph
May 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Poor Nino, Praying all is well is with him. Hopefully is it just stress

rainbow
May 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just read this thread now. Nino is gorgeous :lovestruck: and you are such a wonderful person for stepping up for him. :angel:

I hope that his elevated temperature is nothing serious. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rg_girlca
May 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Thank you all for your prayers.

I forgot to mention that the vet said he had a temperature of 40C. I don't know if that is high for a cat or just slightly elevated. I will see what I can find about this.

I just want to address some of the questions put to me.

Mollywog, I don't know if Nino is a purebred and I still haven't decided if we will keep him or not as I am WELL over my limit now.

Sugarcatmom: Thank you for the list of foods and the link. I really appreciate your help.

14+kitties; No the vet did not witness her handing him over to me, but we both went to the counter and spoke with the receptionist and she wrote in the woman's file that she surrendered her cat over to me.

Ancientgirl; I asked the vet if his temperature could be due to stress and she didn't think so because he is too relaxed.

SolaMio
May 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
What a beautiful cat he is! I had a Maine Coon for 14+ years, and she was a darling- super mellow, quiet cat. Gorgeous silver markings, I've never seen one like this. Mine was the black and brown tabby type.

I have witnessed too many PTS over rehoming lately- what is with this? One I found out about 'too late' to do anything about. I will not threadjack but the whole story was just heartbreaking and would make you :wall:

I don't understand this phenonmenon one bit. At LEAST try a shelter, where the animal could have a second chance...

joeysmama
May 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
He's so beautiful. I love the expression on his face!!

I'll keep praying that he is healthy and can have many happy years in his forever home!:pray:

14+kitties
May 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
14+kitties; No the vet did not witness her handing him over to me, but we both went to the counter and spoke with the receptionist and she wrote in the woman's file that she surrendered her cat over to me.

That is good. As long as there is some sort of witness/documentation you are ok. We all know owners who have a change of heart and try to get their pets back. The courts deal with lots of them. It's great the receptionist at least knows and made note of it. :thumbs up

krdahmer
May 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
:grouphug:Bless you Bless you Bless you for talking some sense into that woman! And thank her for coming to her senses in time! I am sending lots of :pray::goodvibes: that Nino has nothing serious and that this is his last unnecessary brush with death! :frustrated:

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Lots of:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:from here too:grouphug:
I guess I should know what a normal temp is in a cat,I've had cats all my life,but I don't:confused:
This woman had the evil deed done on all his paws,probably not cheap,but she could not afford vet-care,people just baffle me:wall:
Nino sooo deserves another chance at a good life,please,please let him be healthy:fingerscr

pattymac
May 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I've got my fingers crossed for him too. His face is very similar to Coco's although different colour. Coco's also a very mellow cat..well except when he gets playing!!

pattymac
May 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Normal temp for kitties is between 38.7 and 39.8 c. So he's got a little tiny fever.

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
:lovestruck: Nino is gorgeous :lovestruck:

:goodvibes: for healthy results :goodvibes:

Is the vet going to run a urinalysis and culture & sensitivity? Would be a good idea to make sure he doesn't have a blockage/stone reoccurrance :fingerscr

allfurlove
May 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
WOW what a stunningly handsome boy :lovestruck:
Bless you for saving him :angel2: and good luck with the vet work, hopefully today will bring some answers for him :pray:

rg_girlca
May 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.

Good news & Bad news...

The good news is that his blood tests for Feline Aids/Leukemia is NEGATIVE!!!! Also stool sample is, NEGATIVE!!! For any parasites or virus.

The bad news is that he is still running a fever with unknown cause.

I went last night to the vets because Willy is still having problems peeing even after 16 days on medication. The hubby found blood in the bathtub this morning and it could only be Willy as I noticed last night that he started going in and out of the litter box again. I know he's not blocked as he is able to pee out about a teaspoon, if that. I will find out more on Nino then.
Oh I hate to see my vet bill this time.....The past 3 months, I've paid out $300.00 between 3 of my cats and now Willy has to go back and God knows what it's going to cost me for Nino. Well, there goes my Income Tax refund. LOL!!!!!

More of an UPDATE in next post.

ancientgirl
May 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
These little ones really worry us don't they?

I hope they can find out what's causing Nino's fever. And I hope Willy will be okay.:pray:

rg_girlca
May 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Well this cat went from a Dr. Jekyl to a Dr. Hyde. He is NOT a happy camper at all. Everyone who had contact with him at the vet said what a loveable cat he is and so sweet natured, YEAH RIGHT!!!!!! He did nothing but hiss and growl last night and this morning at me. I couldn't even get near him without him looking like he was going to tear my throat out. I understand this poor guy is scared and I am willing to give him a few days to settle down, but he has medication that I have to give him and I don't know what I am going to do, if he won't let me. I sprayed some Feliway around the room in hopes to calm him down. So it's a wait and see situation with him. Well, well, well, my hubby just told me that the previous owner did tell him that Nino DOES NOT like other cats. Gee that would have been nice if he told me that.

On top of this my poor Willy is still not doing well. After being on medication, Baytril, 1/4 of a pill for 16 days for his bladder infection, it hasn't cleared up. I noticed Monday night that he was going in and out of his box again and in the morning there was drops of blood in the bathtub. Brought him to the vet and they took an x-ray to make sure he didn't have a stone in his bladder or crystals. Thankfully there was neither. Also she said that his kidneys and liver looked good. She couldn't take a proper urine test because there was too much blood in it. She said that if he doesn't get any better, then they will have to express the urine with a syringe where there are no germs. So he is back on medication for 20 days, Bioclav 125 mg., which is what he had the first time he got a bladder infection back in November. I'm praying it will work again.
I am so stressed out right now I could pull my hair out. First Mooky starting up with his sores again, Poppy's behavioral problem peeing around, mostly on my things, because of foster kittens being here, Willy with his bladder infection and peeing around, poor baby can't help it though and now Nino. Oh Calgon, take me away.

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Holy..Well awsome news that Nino doesn't have any of the known problems. Hopefully the fever will break soon!!! Is it very high or just mild?

Poor willy, hope he is ok. Good thoughts your way

BenMax
May 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
You are an angel for saving him. Why not exhaust everything before putting an animal to 'sleep'. I don't understand this way of thinking.

I say try to re-home before making a hasty irreversible decision. Good for you for stepping up yet once again.:thumbs up

rg_girlca
May 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Thank you Mat & Murph. I spoke with a different vet on the phone when I was given Nino's results, but saw my regular vet last night and she said that his fever is borderline and she thinks it could be from stress. He's so stressed out now that I pray it didn't shoot his fever back up. My main concern is getting his medication in him. He is to take Amoxil, in case of infection, 100g, 1 1/2 pill morning and night for 7 days and Apo-Metronidazole 250 mg, 1 pill a day for 7 days, for diarrhea. He is to take these for preventive measures.

Thank you Ben Max.

I won't give up on this boy.

BenMax
May 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
:offtopic:Your persian that you saved is doing great BTW.

I am certain you will find someone for this beauty as well.

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
you have done a great thing with nino and your own kitties...keep your head up, hopefully you will be able to get nino a home soon.

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I am so sorry about Willy and everything else,you are having one of those weeks for sure,hopefully it will get better:pray:
Nino's behavior is probably pretty normal for a dis-placed cat,I know my cuddly sweet cats,would turn evil if they had to go to another home,at the vet they hiss and growl too.

If his fever is from stress,maybe he won't need the antibiotics,if the vet found nothing wrong with him:confused:
The easiest way pilling a cat is to mash it in a spoonful of canned food,that's what I do and have done for a couple of years with my Rocky.
Him not liking other cats is also pretty normal,my cats do not like other cats either.
But I am sure you know all this,if you are fostering.

rg_girlca
May 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
:offtopic:Your persian that you saved is doing great BTW.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU BenMax, I needed to hear some good news tonight. I've been meaning to contact you to see how he was doing.

Thank you all for your advice, concerns, prayers and well wishes. I really appreciate it.

Chico2, yes I know this is normal behaviour for Nino to be going through and I have had fosters who didn't get along with other cats that I had to place as an only cat. Hopefully I can find another one soon for Nino. Thank you for the advice on the canned food for his medication. I went and did it right away and took his other food up for now, in hopes that he will be hungry enough to eat it. But I was like, "DUH", i've done this before, why didn't I think of this now. It must be this blinding headache that has dulled all my senses.