Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cosequin

Blackdog22
May 10th, 2009, 09:46 AM
My GSD, Eva has been diagnosed with HD.
On a scale of 1-10, it would likely be rated a 6. It's not crippling and is not yet affectng her quality of life, but could never pass the OFA. You would never guess she has bad hips, just looking at her. Surgery is not an option for her right now, as the HD is not severe enough and her age is a factor (vet said if she was younger, or older we may consider surgery). The vet prescribed a supplement called Cosequin.
I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with Cosequin. Any bad side effects? Was it effective?

I have not ordered any yet, as the vet agreed I should take time to research the product so I feel comfortable.

HD really sucks. While she was at the vets waiting to be picked up, I met with a local flyball trainer and was going to set her up with classes. Unfortunately, the vet said absolutely no competition. She can 'play' flyball, but can never actually be on a team, or do too many runs. I guess flyball is out the window now....
:cry:

sugarcatmom
May 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I've been giving my cat Cosequin (along with MSM) for his arthritis for the past few years. It has made a difference and there have been no side-effects. Here is the Nutramax website with some FAQs if you want to read more about it: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/cosequin/cosequin_jointHealth.asp

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
We're supplementing 4 of our dogs with Cosequin DS. We've tried cheaper brands, but have had the best luck with Cosequin.

No side-effects that we've noticed, other than the desirable ones. :D

As for Eva--many dogs have hip dysplasia and never show symptoms. So tailor your treatment to the dog, not the xrays, if you get my drift. :D Cosequin is a great start but watching her weight is also important (keeping her on the light side of the normal range is easier on joints :thumbs up) and talk to your vet about possible NSAIDs for those days when she overdoes and needs a little something to make her comfortable.

How old is Eva? We had a dysplastic springer who had two total hip replacements at the age of 5 and lived another 10 years with no signs of discomfort.

Blackdog22
May 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Good to hear about the Cosequin!
So far I have only heard good things...

As for pain management, we have talked about Metacam and another pain reliever....I cannot for the life of me remember the name (I'm sure it starts with a 'T' though). If I understand correctly the latter is made specifically for her at a pharmacy, tailored for her needs. I'll call on monday for the name so I can look into it as well. At this point though, I'm more concerned with getting her on the proper supplement. Her hips don't seem to be bothering her much (we took her in because we were noticing some stiffness after rather vigorous games of fetch) and now that we know she has bad hips, we will definately be more cautious with her excersise.

Eva is 4 years old, in the prime of her life. She is also very lean and active. It's going to be hard to convince her to slow down, I hope she can get use to it. She is a very high drive dog, I don't know how I'm going to be able to meet her excersise requirements now.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Will she swim? It's an excellent, low-impact exercise for dysplastic dogs. :thumbs up

Chris21711
May 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Blackdog I think the other medication you mentioned might be Tramadol. The makers of Cosequin have now come out with another supplement called Dasuquin.

Kandy in a thread the other day mentioned it and has had much success, if you go to post #36 in this thread this is where it is mentioned http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62222&highlight=hunnybunny&page=2

kandy
May 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hazel was only on the Cosequin for about 6 months before we switched to Dasuquin. The Dasuquin has ASU's and MSM - which in studies has proven to be more effective than a g/c supplement alone. Hazel has been on the Dasuquin now for about one year - no side effects that I've seen. Hazel has Rimadyl for pain when she needs it, although that isn't very often. We also started Parker (son's newf) on Dasuquin when he was diagnosed last spring with degenerative arthritis in his elbows. Within a few weeks he quit limping, and he hasn't shown even a hint of a limp since then.

While it's a bummer that she won't be able to compete in flyball, in terms of her future comfort, it's probably for the best. Along with keeping her a bit on the thin side, also make sure that you don't allow her to jump in and out of vehicles, or on and off furniture, keep stairs to a minimum and try to keep her from slipping on floors or ice. With just a bit of adjustment in these kinds of things, she'll be comfortable and happy for many years to come. :)

Blackdog22
May 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think the other medication you mentioned might be Tramadol.

Your absolutely right!

Kandy thanks for the info on Dasuquin, I will definately look into it before ordering the Cosequin.

kandy
May 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Just so you know, Dasuquin is more expensive - and you have to go through your vet to get it. Cosequin you can buy in pet supply stores or online but not Dasuquin.