Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Sitters!!!

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 09:19 AM
i am going away for 3 days!!!!!! alllll the way to sudbury.. and i am putting rex at a pet sitters home!! ( i am going to check it out, ask for references, things like that before i actually put him there though) and i am going to miss him so much!! i really haven't been away from him, but he doesn't suffer from anxiety and is fine when left alone in the house... do you think he will be fine ?!

sammiec
August 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Just a question?! I thought you didn't travel much!??! LOL! How come Rex can't go with you?
I have only had close friends watch over my dog. So I really have no experiences to share sorry Sexy Rexy (LOL - Empire Records again... :D )
Petsitters... do you personally know them? Have they met Rex? What happens if he chews something? Do they have other pets in the house, children?

I hope it works out for you!!

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 11:15 AM
i didn't end up going before....

i don't know her personally..but she is certified. i asked her about what if rex chews on something.. she just said she is totally use to it and she has a " doggie room " they can go into, and that they have a huge back yard where they can run around. I know she has cats, and i'm going to bring rex to meet her and check out the house sometime next week!!

they have teens in the house... she said that the dog will always be around people, and they have lots of toys ... i told her he is still a pup and needs to be watched!!

he is going only if it looks like fun for him :)

and he is getting neutered on the 18th!!! i finally made the appointment... he is only going to be there for one day tho-- i wouldn't feel right keeping him over night. Poor little guy is going to have to wear the ' lamp shade' lol

sammiec
August 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Sounds alright. Meeting her and letting Rex meet her is definately a good idea! Hope it works out for you!

That's great that he's getting fixed!!! How'd you class go? :D

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 11:21 AM
lol... Sexy Rexy... NEW NICK NAME!! haha thanks sammiec.... my pup is sexy!! ( even though he wont feel like it after the neutering.. lol)

sammiec
August 10th, 2004, 11:24 AM
lol... Sexy Rexy... NEW NICK NAME!! haha thanks sammiec.... my pup is sexy!! ( even though he wont feel like it after the neutering.. lol)

LMAO!!! He'll get over it!! He can still have fun without makin babies!! :cool: LOL!!

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 11:32 AM
his obedience class you mean ?!

well since he is a herding dog... lets just say he was VERY EXCITED too see all the dogs there!! he was definately the loudest!! we had to separate him from the other dogs... but in a matter of minutes we brought him back in and he was being good.. just over excited-- the classes were awesome.. i was soo scared though.. cause its really my first dog and i didn't wanna be labelled as a 'bad trainer' .. but now i know what i did wrong and i'm correcting it!! like the walking techniques are awesome-- i LOVE walking him now.. he has to wear a gentle leader.. but its for his own good.. he still gets excited when he sees other dogs... its so to train that.. and when people come over too... peewww.. its a work out :)

sammiec
August 10th, 2004, 11:41 AM
I think almost every dog gets excited when they see other dogs, that's not an issue!! The most important skills you should learn at this class is POSITIVE enforcement. If he does something you don't like yelling will not solve the problem. My dog is SOOO dramatic when she gets into trouble!! Shaking like she's having a seizure!! I don't scold her, yell, or even touch her - she knows what she did. It's quite amusing actually, the poor thing!! :p
There are many things that take a LONG time to train the dog properly and you might not perfect it before the class is over, don't get down on yourself about it, just keep working on it. Briggs has a REAL hard time with listening when she sees another dog! ALL she can think about it kisses, kisses, kisses!!! I have NEVER seen a dog kiss other dogs so much!!! But we're still working on it! Don't give up! And if you find yourself getting frustrated and upset because he's not listening, stop your session (if you're doing homework) it won't benefit either of you. He can sense you're upset and he gets nervous! (well, some dogs at least)!

his obedience class you mean ?!
well since he is a herding dog... lets just say he was VERY EXCITED too see all the dogs there!! he was definately the loudest!! we had to separate him from the other dogs... but in a matter of minutes we brought him back in and he was being good.. just over excited-- the classes were awesome.. i was soo scared though.. cause its really my first dog and i didn't wanna be labelled as a 'bad trainer' .. but now i know what i did wrong and i'm correcting it!! like the walking techniques are awesome-- i LOVE walking him now.. he has to wear a gentle leader.. but its for his own good.. he still gets excited when he sees other dogs... its so to train that.. and when people come over too... peewww.. its a work out :)

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 11:46 AM
thats true!! he still has a problem with jumping tho.. i just say no, and don't touch him till he sits down...

i just contacted the burlington animal aid and i think i will become a volunteer..i don't think i have ever seen so many beautiful dogs in one place-- and maybe my boyfriend will want to join too.. we are both animal lovers.... esp dogs!! i wish i had a huge farm where i can adopt all the dogs and give them everything-- but i will try to do my best with one at least for now!!

Goldenmom
August 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Did you ask for references from these people? Owners that have left their dogs there before? Extremely, extremely important, I cannot stress this enough.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
i will ask for them today.. i only spoke to her yesterday.... i would never put SEXY REXY- lol.... to a sitter that wasn't qualified :)
thanks for your advice -- shows you care.. :)

sammiec
August 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM
i will ask for them today.. i only spoke to her yesterday.... i would never put SEXY REXY- lol.... to a sitter that wasn't qualified :) thanks for your advice -- shows you care.. :)

That's TOO funny!! LOL!!! Please, Goldenmom is right, ask for references, if she gets upset that you would suggest that, please be careful!!

Goldenmom
August 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM
i will ask for them today.. i only spoke to her yesterday.... i would never put SEXY REXY- lol.... to a sitter that wasn't qualified :)
thanks for your advice -- shows you care.. :)

Please know that there is a difference between being qualified and being responsible. Please check reference. Me, I would not take my dog there if she cannot come up with at least 5 references for you to call. Ask the people if their dog came back healthy and happy. You would do this for your child at a daycare, the same applies to dogs at a daycare.

Good luck, please let us know what happens.

Heather

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM
i will definately keep you posted... i'll call her after work this evening!!

Cactus Flower
August 10th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Just a quick note on dogs freaking out when they see another dog, or becoming too distracted.

What I did with Raja was this:

We have a residential street in town that I swear everyone on it has a dog in their yard. The sidewalk is directly in front of all of these houses. Walking down that street means one dog rushes to the chain-link fence barking like crazy,.....then the next rushes to the fence barking like crazy......as you pass each house, their dog rushes the fence going nuts.

I walked Raja repeatedly up and down this road, every day, for three solid weeks. It was convenient because this road was right next to where I picked my son up from school. So I'd park, then walk to the street, then walk up and down it while waiting for my son.

At first Raj would lunge back at the dog lunging and barking at her through the fence. Eventually she didn't react as much, and she got praised every time she didn't. By the end of the three weeks, she acted completely bored with their antics. Now she has only a mild interest when she sees another dog, and doesn't lunge on the leash or anything. She more like "Oh. A dog. Whatever".

rexdoggieowner
August 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM
OH NOOOOO

2 days till he get NEUTERED ( i booked it sooner )

AHHH.. i'm so scared for the little guy :(

glasslass
August 11th, 2004, 04:15 PM
It's much easier on the males than it is for the females. You're going to suffer more than he ever will! :p If you need some reassurance, read back through some of the previous threads on this subject, especially the last few posts. You'll feel sooooo much better! :D

Goldenmom
August 12th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Have you contacted the dogsitter? Did she give references?

Heather

rexdoggieowner
August 12th, 2004, 09:51 PM
i am going to call her tomorrow.. just because i have had A CRAZY couple of days, but when i go in the morning tomorrow to the vets with rexy ( he is getting neutered On a FRIDAY THE 14TH.. ahhhh) and i'm going to ask what they think of her and see if she is any good... cause if the vet says no... then its a NO, no matter the referrences.. right ?!

but i have another one that is GREAT.. its really popular and a friend used them before!!

Goldenmom
August 12th, 2004, 09:56 PM
( he is getting neutered On a FRIDAY THE 14TH.. ahhhh)

Friday the 13th, not the 14th! Its Port Dover day for Bikers :eek:

Good luck with your boy. He will do just fine. The owners are always worse than the dogs!

Heather

rexdoggieowner
August 13th, 2004, 12:04 AM
haha.. oopps... sorry about that one!!

yeah, bikers from all over. its crazy down there!!

thanks i'll keep you posted on how tomorrow goes :)

thanks for caring

Writing4Fun
August 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Friday the 13th, not the 14th! Its Port Dover day for Bikers :eek:

What's wrong with bikers?? :( We're not all a bunch of beer-swigging, tire-burning hoodlams, ya know! :D

Let us know how Sexy Rexy is feeling after his operation! Bet you'll have a hard time keeping him quiet! :p

Goldenmom
August 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM
What's wrong with bikers?? :( We're not all a bunch of beer-swigging, tire-burning hoodlams, ya know! :D

Let us know how Sexy Rexy is feeling after his operation! Bet you'll have a hard time keeping him quiet! :p

I didn't say anything wrong with bikers, mostly because we ARE bikers!!!! :p

My husband left for Dover this morning. We are definately not hoodlums!

Writing4Fun
August 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Excellent, another biker on the board!! :D

Wish we were in Dover, too (sounds like an Irish folk song, doen't it?).

Sorry, Rexie! Didn't mean to digress on your thread! :o

rexdoggieowner
August 13th, 2004, 12:30 PM
oh its okay :)

my sister does security at port dover on the friday the 13th.... her and her hubbie-to-be own the security company... they have their hands full tonight :)

Goldenmom
August 13th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Have you called the vet to check on your furbaby?

Heather

rexdoggieowner
August 13th, 2004, 02:37 PM
yes, i JUST did.... she said he was barkering a lot but now he is looking around saying " hey, what happened" lol

i am going to pick him up at 4... hopefully he will calm down a little bit after this... do you think he will ?

I feel soooooo horrible.. i never told anyone this... but i bought my pup from a pet store... i am SOOO sorry, i NEVER EVER thought that all pet stores have puppy mills or BYB.. i feel so bad that i sent that " from a puppy mills point of view... " a couple threads back.. via email to everyone that i know.... and i tell everyone NOT to buy pets from pet stores.. and i am going to volunteer at burlington animal aid... i just keep on thinking that I bought a puppy from those KILLERS... MAKE ME SICK...

Goldenmom
August 13th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Great to hear he is doing well. He will be just fine, like nothing happened. He is barking for him mom :D

The great thing is that you have found out about Pet Stores and you can educate those that don't know. Spread the word everywhere you go. Its a great idea volunteering at the Shelter, you will be inspired.

rexdoggieowner
August 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM
just that the guilt is taking over me... its sooo sad... i never thought people were ALLOWED TO DO THIS... how does this happen ?

Goldenmom
August 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM
just that the guilt is taking over me... its sooo sad... i never thought people were ALLOWED TO DO THIS... how does this happen ?

I'll sum it up in one word MONEY
-and no heart obviously

Heather

Lucky Rescue
August 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM
but i bought my pup from a pet store.

Yes, but you were willing to listen and to be educated and you'll never do that again.:)

Keep spreading the word!

rexdoggieowner
August 13th, 2004, 02:56 PM
but isn't this illegal ?

Luba
August 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM
You got that right

The need for greed kills!