Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teeth Cleaning and Newbie Question

asgardner
May 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Will RMBs such as chicken quarters do an adequate job of teeth cleaning or do I need to add in knuckle bones, pigs feet, etc. . . ? I have a corgi and 3 australian shepherds. One has a "soft" mouth and the rest would probably eat through a lead pipe if given the chance. What size bones should I be giving them?

My dogs eat a holistic kibble supplemented with green tripe and yogurt, and I give them chicken bones once or twice a week as a "treat." This seems to keep both my husband and the dogs happy. Since they look great I have no complaints. Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the board, asgardner! Just bumpin' your thread up so it doesn't get lost over the weekend.

We don't feed raw at my house, so I can't offer any advice, but :fingerscr one of our raw food gurus will be on in the next few hours to answer your questions. :D

bendyfoot
May 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
personally, the heavy bones like knuckles or any weight-bearing bone of a larger animal like a pig or cow make me nervous. We have a "lead-pipe" type too, and she's chipped teeth before. I like to stick with the smaller, softer bones, the heaviest I'll feed is beef ribs. They all have beautiful white teeth!

Mat&Murph
May 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I agree with Bendyfoot. Beef rib bones make the teeth come out great!!

asgardner
May 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much!