Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih Tzu

card0519
May 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hi, I'm new. Was wondering if anyone has a Shih Tzu with back problems.

BusterBoo
May 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hi and welcome.

I have a tzu/bichon and also had a tzu.....

not sure what type of back problems you are talking about, or how old your dog is...but have you talked to your Vet about the problems? That would be the first place to start. :shrug:

Got pictures of your tzu???

card0519
May 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
He's 3 yrs old and we did take him to the Vet. She said it's common with that breed. Just wanted to know if anyone else is dealing with that or has. He has some paralysis in the hind leg - one worse that the other. His appeptite is normal and still loves his treats. He is on prednisone right now. I just want to know if anyone has gone thru this and did their their pet recover.

Magicwildwolf69
May 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I don't have any doggies but wanted to welcome you to the board!

card0519
May 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Thank you. Nice meeting you

card0519
May 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thank you. Nice meeting you :)

card0519
May 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
thank you -- nice to meet you too

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I am the Queen of back problems, but with mini Dachshunds. However, there are many posts all over this board with people who have had issues with your breed type - you should do a search. Or, what you might do is see if you can find a breed specific board because you will find all sorts of info there I am sure. I frequent this board and the American Eskimo specific board. But to answer your main queston, yes, I suspect your dog has a disc problem - and if your finances permit it, I would ask for a referral to a neuro - the X-Rays are very expensive - but the General X-Ray taken by your vet should show the number of discs that are affected - one or 2 to me is nothing - my guys had full body so everything is relative. If you have a animal teaching hospital near you that would help. I would keep your pup off the stairs and allow no jumping on to the bed or furniture - ramps would help or picking up. And it is harder to go down the stairs than up. The steroids will help some but eventually not be enough. 3 is not "young" for this - my first guy totally paralyzed at 1 1/2. Hope everything works out - but do a search - put in your breed type - type disc problems, back problems etc. and then work your way through. But if you can find a breed specific problem that would help. Your vet should already have discussed Plan B - the neuro with you.

diandpat
May 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi and welcome to the board :)

I have a shihtzu mix who is probably about 10 now. He had his first "episode" in Jan 2005 and the second in Jan 2007 and has been fine since.

If your pooch is suffering an episode now it is imperative that his movement be totally restricted, especially if he is paralyzed right now. The prednisone will bring the swelling down but will not "cure" him. He will however feel fine and want to go back to normal...don't let him. This can be a very serious condition and you need to take proper care before it escalates.

We have built steps to get on/off all the furniture and Hobo is lifted in/out of the car. Fortunately he is older now and is somewhat less interested in all the hoping around like he used to be.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Also, pictures would be nice!!!