Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kidney failure

leahtravaline
May 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hello. My 14 year old silky terrier's kidneys have recently (in the last week) stopped working. I am wondering if anyone has tried "Tripsy" and if they recommend it. Also, where i might find some recipes for some meals I can make for her. any help would be greatly appreciated. :ca:

Frenchy
May 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hello. My 14 year old silky terrier's kidneys have recently (in the last week) stopped working. I am wondering if anyone has tried "Tripsy" and if they recommend it. Also, where i might find some recipes for some meals I can make for her. any help would be greatly appreciated. :ca:

I don't know about Tripsy but for the food , your dog would benefit from raw diet. Here's some infos on this :

http://www.dogguide.net/raw-diet-basics.php

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

leahtravaline
May 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks very much. I will certainly look into that and see if she'll eat any. She's been very fussy about what she'll eat.

Frenchy
May 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM
You added a pic ! She's too cute ! :lovestruck:

I don't know too many dogs that won't eat raw , they usually love it. You can also ask to get samples of holistic kibbles , grain free one and see if she likes it. If you have good pet stores near you. Those food are expensive but yours is such a small dog , a bag should last you for a while :thumbs up

ScottieDog
May 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I just wanted to offer a shoulder :grouphug:. I've been through kidney failure with a dog and it is very hard.

Make sure she is staying hydrated. I was given some canned food that was very thin and I had to attempt syringe feeding. You may want to see if you can get an anti-nausea medication if she is strong enough to take that. Kidney failure causes toxins to build up in the system and makes the dog feel nauseated and she won't want to eat.

Many of the members here are very knowledgeable about foods and nutrition. I found good advice here while my dog was sick. Sending my prayers to your girl and strength for you too. :pray:

Added: I'm sure you've had blood work done. I was told that if the Creatinine levels were too high (and BUN as well) that a dog just won't eat. My little girl was hospitalized on fluids for an extended period. We were able to get her home for a brief time (that's why I know about the syringe feeding) but she was too weak to pull through--she had multiple health issues that lead to the renal failure.

Your girl is a cutie-pie. I can tell you cherish her. One food I got Tipper to eat some if I hand fed was called Fresh-Pet Select. It wasn't easy to find, but was very gentle on her stomach. You might want to see if you can locate a supplier.
http://www.freshpetselect.com/

This food had carrots in it and my little girl really liked carrots. Again, sending my best. Please make sure you are taking care of yourself too. Giving care to a very sick pet weakens you as well.

leahtravaline
May 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ah thanks. She's my baby and this has been very hard on me. I can't stop crying! I see you recently lost one of your babies. I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm sure you know what I am feeling.

there is a pet food store near me that specializes in natural/holistic foods, so I will go there today and see if they can help me out with some raw food for her. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it. :thumbs up

leahtravaline
May 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Thank you Scottie Dog. It's really hard. We have been administering fluids to her every day. She's on anti-depressants which is supposed to help with the nausea and vomiting, and make her want to eat. She's also on Fortekor, which she has been on for months since we first noticed her kidneys were showing signs of weakening.

We are just taking it day by day. giving her lots of love and making sure she is comfortable. Vet said she has weeks, possibly months left. :cry:

She too was hospitalized for a few days, on I.V. Thanks for the added advice, I will see if I can find the Fresh-Pet Select. Kayla used to love carrots.... all she's eaten over the past few days is chicken, and black forest ham. Just giving her a little bit at a time, every few hours and she hasn't thrown up for a couple days now. And she's hydrated, the fluids we are administering are working, plus she's drinking water.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this. It sucks bigtime. thanks so much for the support.

ScottieDog
May 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Here is another link that I had saved. It deals with the appetite:
http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#Inappetence

My girl had 6 weeks--3 weeks were in ICU. I really understand what you are facing. It is so hard. My Tipper was only 11, but she was in such poor health that all the medications she was given caused her kidneys to fail. Fourteen years is a wonderful life for a dog, but it isn't ever enough time. I have a 14 year old as well. The people on this board are wonderful support. We will be here for you.

-Sandra

leahtravaline
May 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks so much Sandra. You are right, it's never enough time. I am grateful that she has lived 14 glorious, healthy, happy years, but it's still so hard. She's been so healthy all her life - 10 days ago, she was running at the off leash park with the big dogs! I'm really glad I found this website/forum, and in turn, great people like you, who understand and know what I am feeling.
I hope your 14 year old is healthy. :dog:

ScottieDog
May 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
One thing I learned from Tipper's illnesses was to not take a day for granted. Every night I say a prayer of thanks that I had that day. My 14-year-old is physically strong, but as you know at this age their health can change rapidly. I know and accept that our future time together is shorter than the time that has past by. I treasure and cherish our time and know that it is golden and has a finite end point. It is the whole "circle of life" thing but it still sucks having to say goodbye.

I can really relate to you and Kayla. I stopped by a grocery every day when Tipper was in ICU and picked up a couple of slices of Boar's Head ham for her. I would make homemade dog muffins and take her chicken soup (with carrots) in a thermos. I carried in two tote bags full of cookies, treats, food--anything--just to try to tempt her.

Cherish your time. Know that Kayla can understand how deep your love is for her. And please, try to take care of yourself. I was really worn down while my girl was sick--she was taking something like 21 pills a day and needed medicines multiple times a night. Being a caregiver is something you do out of love, but it is very stressful. You and Kayla are in my thoughts. :grouphug:

kandy
May 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your Kayla. I too lost a dog to total kidney failure. She was 19 months old and the vet said that her kidney's never developed properly. By the time we knew there was a problem, it was too late to save her.

I hope that you find a food that she will eat and that you are able to keep her comfortable. My heart goes out to you.

leahtravaline
May 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Sandra,
yep, I am definitely treasuring these "stolen moments" I have with her. she's really not doing well today. She threw up this morning, just that yellow bile, and she won't eat or drink anything. I had her sleeping on my chest all morning, just cuddling her. i've tried so many different things, and she just won't eat. I will keep trying though. Will give her her fluids when my husband gets home. Maybe that will help. She can't walk very far anymore, so I've been putting her in a baby Snuggli and taking her out when we walk our other dogs, and the fresh air seems to help. We get quite the looks and comments though! = )

Kandy, thanks for the support. This website is amazing, as I have found people like you and Sandra, who understand, completely understand what i am going through, and know just how frickin' much it hurts. Wow, your girl was only 19 months old. that's so sad...you were looking forward to many years and they were stolen from you. I am grateful I've had my Kayla this long,and she's been so healthy. that's the thing I've discovered in my research since Kayla's been sick - that usually by the time they display the symptoms of kidney problems, it's too late. Frickin' sucks.... Thanks again for the concern and support.

kandy
May 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Because kidney issues don't show up in bloodwork until there is a significant loss of function, most times it is too late. We were devastated when we were told there was nothing to be done. The vet offered to flush Lacey's system and estimated it would give her a few more days with us - but she was in pain and suffering so we made the choice to end that pain. And whether it's 19 months or 19 years, letting go is never easy.

Because my current newf, and my son's newf, also come from the same line as my first newfie - my vet understood my need to find a test that would detect kidney issues very early. It's called an E.R.D. test - and it tests the urine for minute traces of proteins. I recommend it to people who suspect a kidney issue that isn't confirmed by bloodwork. I am also a bit anal about having bloodwork done on a regular basis.

We also had a terrible time getting Lacey to eat. Maybe if you hand fed Kayla bites of boiled chicken?

Sending good vibes from all the furries to comfort you and Kayla. :goodvibes::goodvibes: :grouphug:

ScottieDog
May 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry you are having some rough times. It was the vomiting that scared me so much. I knew it would accelerate the dehydration. I was going to get one of the dog baby strollers for Tipper, but her illness took her so quickly. She loved to be outdoors too! I would walk her as far as she could go then carry her in my arms. All my neighbors knew she was very sick so I quit getting comments about carrying my dog.

Kidney failure does suck. It is a hideous disease. Because my little girl had so many other health issues (loss of her spleen, immune system breakdown, suspected bladder cancer) she had blood work nearly every month. She took a horrible medication for just a few days and it destroyed her kidneys. But since the blood tests don't pick up the damage until so much function is lost, I wonder if she had some problems before her medicine. Even though I know I did everything I could for Tipper, I still have so many "what ifs" that plague me. I guess you can tell that it is still something that is very emotional for me.

If she is in a vomiting stage, it may not help, but I had to syringe feed Tipper Hills A/D canned food for a short time. This was after her first hospitalization when they thought the condition was acute and she would be able to recover (they were wrong). I will say that syringe-feeding was one of the most demoralizing things I've ever done. I also was able to feed some meat baby foods (no onion powder though) and scrambled or boiled egg. I drew the line at a feeding tube. I just could not do this to my Tipper. It really hurt because this was a little dog who loved her food and to see her waste away broke my heart.

You are right. It frickin' hurts. And there is nothing you can do about it. I hope you will have better days with Kayla.

And Kandy, I'm sorry for your ordeal. Lacey was too young. I will check on this E.R.D. test so I will know about it.

:pray: for Kayla.

-Sandra

leahtravaline
May 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
We put Kayla down this morning. Thank you all for your care, concern, love, and support. It was really really hard to do but we had to. She was getting confused and scared. Plus she started shaking. The time had come. And my heart feels like it's in a vice grip. Thanks again to all of you for being there, listening, and sharing your stories, even though i know it was painful for you.:cry:

diandpat
May 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
:cry::cry::cry: So very sorry to read this thread and the sad inevitable conclusion.

Obviously Kayla was loved very much and well taken care of.
:rip: sweet Kayla, painfree and puppy like again. :angel:

ScottieDog
May 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell how much Kayla meant to you. I so understand that this is the hardest thing you can do for a beloved pet. By ending her suffering, you end up taking the pain upon yourself. It hurts so bad. When I faced this, I decided my heart hurt so much because my girl needed to take a piece of it with her to the Rainbow Bridge.

You will be in my thoughts. :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet Kayla :candle:

leahtravaline
May 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks again for the kind words and suppport. It really does provide some comfort, and validates my feelings. I'm a bit of a mess here. I think she's taken all of my heart to Rainbow Bridge, as I feel as though it's been ripped out. I know that it won't hurt this much forever, as I have lost many people close to me. And I have to say, that this hurts as much as it did when I lost those loved ones. doesn't matter if they have 4 legs or 2, they are all family and it hurts. Thanks again for the love and for caring. :sad:

kandy
May 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Kayla. The pain will lose it's edge - and I hope that knowing that she is now pain free and healthy on the other side of the bridge helps.

:rip: Kayla

Libbii
May 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have used Tripsy for my dog and my friend used the feline version for her cat. I swear by this stuff!! My dog has completly turned around and surprised his 'conventional' Vet! My holistic Vet recommended it and I am so happy she did.

Here's what the website says:

Natural, herbal treatment: Tripsy for dog kidney disease is particularly helpful, especially in combination with traditional treatments. Tripsy contains a powerful combination of herbal extracts proven to:

Promote healthy kidney functioning
Fight kidney infections
Improve urinary flow
Reduce the pain and discomfort of kidney stones
Tripsy is high effective, yet is totally natural and 100% safe for long-term use.

http://www.petwellbeing.com/dog-kidney-disease-p91.cfm

leahtravaline
May 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Kandy, thank you for your condolences. I sure miss her. She was my "shadow". it sucks.
Libbii, thank you for your response.