Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My first attempt - warning - raw food shown

14+kitties
May 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
As the title says, my first attempt at making raw for my furries. Thanks Onster for the push to get moving!! :highfive:
Finished product - chicken legs/liver, Instincts TC powder, water
TT sniffed, walked away. So did Mittens. But Mittens had eaten a small amount of chicken before I ground it.
Dayle testing it out. She actually ate a couple of teaspoons of it. :thumbs up

14+kitties
May 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Keesha licked out the container I had put the ground liver into.
And then I went outside............

14+kitties
May 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
None of them ate a huge amount but I think every one of them tried it!
Spazzy ate the most but he's my little butterball. He never turns down food.
And finally even Sammy got a chicken leg to mow down on.

So all in all I think my first attempt was a success! I am freezing the rest of the food and will take a small amount out every day. I'm sure they will get the hang of it soon.
Next........ hamburger!

hazelrunpack
May 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yum! :cloud9: although I do prefer mine cooked a bit... :o

The outdoor kitties sure did gather round, didn't they! :highfive: I'm sure the indoor kitties will soon, too.

The Pack is hoping Sammy will share. :D I told them not a chance...Sammy is gonna eat the whole thing! :dog:

chico2
May 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
OMG,all those tabby gathered around just amaze me:lovestruck:
I hope they get used to the food,but could it not get awfully expensive with sooo many cats:confused:
I tried the frozen pucks and my cats would have none of it.
They will eat one or two little pieces of raw meat,but that's it,no more than that:frustrated:

Brandykins
May 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Aw, 14+Kitties, well done!! You can come here and make that for Loki!! The cats look as though they are enjoying it. Good for you!!

ancientgirl
May 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
That's great! At least they tried it so maybe with a few more times they will like it more.

TeriM
May 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Instincts is a great product for helping to switch cats to raw :thumbs up. I used it years ago with Bud when I first switched him and from there was able to progress to more simple methods.

Love the pic with all the outside kitties :lovestruck: and it was great to see your canine furries :cloud9:.

growler~GateKeeper
May 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Looks promising for a first try :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
May 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Lookie at all those kitties!! That is very good that they all tried some!

My two kittens will eat raw chicken giblets or cut up chicken, but then I also give them canned food to make sure they get all the other stuff they need. Willie won't eat the chicken cause he doesn't know how to chew his food. LOL

Debbie

Love4himies
May 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I think it looks very promising, they tried it, which means they know it is food :thumbs up.

I find it is much easier to get kitties to change food by giving it to them when they are really hungry.

14+kitties
May 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Yum! :cloud9: although I do prefer mine cooked a bit... :o

The outdoor kitties sure did gather round, didn't they! :highfive: I'm sure the indoor kitties will soon, too.

The Pack is hoping Sammy will share. :D I told them not a chance...Sammy is gonna eat the whole thing! :dog:

Sammy doesn't know what sharing means. Please explain....... :rolleyes:

OMG,all those tabby gathered around just amaze me:lovestruck:
I hope they get used to the food,but could it not get awfully expensive with sooo many cats:confused:
I tried the frozen pucks and my cats would have none of it.
They will eat one or two little pieces of raw meat,but that's it,no more than that:frustrated:

Actually chico, right now it costs me around $11.00 to $14.00 a day to feed the kitties. Depending on what canned food they get. If I was feeding a better quality canned to my outside ones it would cost tons more. They also get dried to nibble on but I have noticed lately they aren't eating much of it.

The liver cost me a little more than $4.00. I only used about 1/3 of it for this mix. The chicken legs and thighs cost me $4.50 a pack. I used one pack to get 2 pounds of meat. No bones in this mix because with the Instinct TC you don't need to add bones. Onster was sweet and send me on the Instincts so that was free. I figure if the kitties would have all eaten the raw it is still cheaper for me to make it than it is to buy canned for them. Once this bag of Instinct is gone I will hopefully find them some other recipes using oysters and clams. We sell them cheaply sometimes so I can stock up on them. All in all it should work out a little cheaper and a lot healthier for my kitties. :thumbs up

Aw, 14+Kitties, well done!! You can come here and make that for Loki!! The cats look as though they are enjoying it. Good for you!!

Awww, I'm on my way! Would love to meet Loki in "person"! :cloud9:
That's great! At least they tried it so maybe with a few more times they will like it more.

Not much interest in it this morning but that's ok. I'm in no hurry. Tinker loves it though!

14+kitties
May 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Instincts is a great product for helping to switch cats to raw :thumbs up. I used it years ago with Bud when I first switched him and from there was able to progress to more simple methods.

Love the pic with all the outside kitties :lovestruck: and it was great to see your canine furries :cloud9:.

If you can let me know some of those simpler methods I would appreciate it muchly! :D Simple is good!

Looks promising for a first try :thumbs up

That's what I thought too.

I think it looks very promising, they tried it, which means they know it is food :thumbs up.
I find it is much easier to get kitties to change food by giving it to them when they are really hungry.
Lookie at all those kitties!! That is very good that they all tried some!

My two kittens will eat raw chicken giblets or cut up chicken, but then I also give them canned food to make sure they get all the other stuff they need. Willie won't eat the chicken cause he doesn't know how to chew his food. LOL

Debbie

I have fed them hearts and giblets all along. That probably helped a lot when it came to them knowing it was food.
L4H - I took this out to them for their breakfast. They were hungry. :thumbs up

Frenchy
May 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Lucky kitties ! Give them time 14+ , they will get use to raw , and will never want to go back to the other food !!! :cloud9:

Tundra_Queen
May 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
14+ what did u use to grind up the chicken? And how many kitties do u have now? I just want to scoop them up in my arms and give them all a huge hugs!!!

Debbie

14+kitties
May 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Lucky kitties ! Give them time 14+ , they will get use to raw , and will never want to go back to the other food !!! :cloud9:

They are getting hamburger and liver tomorrow. I have a feeling that will go over pretty well!!

14+ what did u use to grind up the chicken? And how many kitties do u have now? I just want to scoop them up in my arms and give them all a huge hugs!!!

Debbie

I bought myself a meat grinder Tundra. Same amount of kitties as before. Just the two ferals in the garage who are going in this week to get fixed. :fingerscr There are 16 at the moment in the catuary and 5 in the house. Three more ferals go in and out of the greenhouses. And I have no idea how many more are back in the bush that come in to eat. And our tenants cat comes down for food now too. :rolleyes:

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I've never seen"Instinct"anywhere:confused:what is it???
You are making me want to try again with raw,I have an old meat-grinder somewhere,it's a manual one..

Love4himies
May 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I think you can order Instincts TC online, chico.

Once cats are on raw, they don't want to go back to cat food that is for sure.

I have moved from using the meat grinding attachment on my mixer to a manual one that attaches to my table and it grinds the chicken bones so much better. I bought it at hendrix, so it is a heavy duty one. I chop the meat with my cleaver (including the bones) and DH does the turning of the handle, lol.

It takes about 30 minutes to do about 8 lbs of meat with bones and liver at a cost of about 50 cents for a 5.5 oz size can which lasts about 2 weeks, Rose and Rosebuddy eating about 2/3 of it, lol. I save about 30 dollars a week on cat food so well worth the 30 minutes.

14+kitties
May 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Question for you raw feeders. If I mix a little raw in with their canned food how long can I leave it sitting? I think that may be the best way to get them to eat the raw. But a lot of them don't eat as soon as I bring the food out. I really want to get them on raw food but I don't want to kill them doing it.
Thanks. Will probably have lots of questions as I go along. :o

Love4himies
May 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I leave the canned mixed with raw out all night for all the cats to munch on and have never had a problem. Their noses are pretty good at sniffing for any "off" smells in meat.

14+kitties
May 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I've never seen"Instinct"anywhere:confused:what is it???
You are making me want to try again with raw,I have an old meat-grinder somewhere,it's a manual one..

chico - this is the site for the Instincts. It's a powder supplement you add to the meat so you don't need to add bone, taurine, etc. Some vets sell it. Onster got the bag she sent me from her vet a while back. :cloud9: A bag makes 100 meals.
Once the kitties get onto eating raw I want to add clams, oysters, egg shells, etc for the taurine and not use the Instincts. I'm sure L4H has lots of "recipes" she can share. :fingerscr

http://www.feline-future.com/index.php?map=CANADA

Love4himies
May 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
:laughing: I have only one recipe, 80% meat (4kg), majority chicken (legs and with backs attached), sometimes pork or beef depending on what is on sale, 10% bone (400-600 grams), 10% liver (400-600 grams), 4 egg yolks (no whites). It is the same recipe on catinfo.org.

14+kitties
May 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
That works for me!! Thanks! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
May 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Question for you raw feeders. If I mix a little raw in with their canned food how long can I leave it sitting? I think that may be the best way to get them to eat the raw. But a lot of them don't eat as soon as I bring the food out. I really want to get them on raw food but I don't want to kill them doing it.
Thanks. Will probably have lots of questions as I go along. :o

You can leave it out for several hours & it's fine. When I leave for work in the morning either 9 or 10am I leave a teaspoon or so for Duffy to snack on during the day, until I get home 7 or 8pm. If there is any left in her dish after dinner I will leave it out over night & occasionally if I'm not quick enough with prepping breakfast she will munch on what she's left there the previous night.