Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rest In Peace Penny - High Park

vegan_girl
May 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM
It is with my deepest regrets that I am unfortunately informing you of Penny’s passing.

May 7th, five months after she went missing her body was discovered. She wasn’t far from our home and it seems like she passed suddenly, very soon after she went missing. Toronto Animal Services picked her up and my boyfriend confirmed it was her. They said that she had been hit by a train or a car on the Queensway, moved to the side in some bushes and passed on very shortly after. They told us she probably did not suffer.

It appears that she had passed on shortly after running off, she was still wearing her collar and jacket. No “sighting” of Penny was ever of her with the jacket still on. Still, those sightings and every single one of our efforts in the last five months gave us the hope and the time that we needed to be ok. We never gave up, and so many of you stood by us the entire time. Somehow over those months we slowly came to understand that we might not ever find her and although this is the most heartbreaking ending, we finally have our closure. We had hoped that the sightings were true, but the thought of her being outside alone for months was heartbreaking, perhaps it is better that she went right away. I only hope that she continued to bounce around, run and play until the very end. And I pray she knew that our love for her is, and always will be, immense.

I cannot describe how devastated we are. Penny spent only a short time with us, but changed our lives forever. She also gave us an incredible amount of hope. Losing her brought us to so many truly incredible people, people who have hearts of gold, just like she did. Despite her physical presence being gone for five months to the day, we have felt her with us all along and only wanted our happy ending. Still, animals seem to teach their lessons with ease compared to us and they need less time to make a huge difference in the world. I don’t doubt that Penny has affected many of you and I know that our never-ending love for her has reached thousands.

I want to thank everyone for their efforts, thoughts, prayers and hope. I don’t think I could have asked for a better group of people to rely on. You all helped us stay strong though this and I know we couldn’t have done this without each of you. If you see any posters for Penny, please take them down and please notify anyone you may have contacted.

As Scott and I continue to grieve for Penny we will be making some changes too. We had decided before receiving the news of Penny’s passing to bring another dog into our home. We had hoped that Penny would still return and we could have two dogs. There is a dog that needs us and although we hurt so much for Penny, our pain has been there for five months. We hope that another dog will keep us strong, we need her as much as she needs us right now. We know that she won’t be Penny, no dog could fill those pawprints – ever, but she’ll be different and she’ll give us new reasons to love her and new reasons to stay hopeful.

I don’t doubt that Penny was needed somewhere else more than she was with us. If there ever was an animal meant to be an angel, it is our sweet Penny. I hope and pray that she is somewhere with no pain, lots of toys and many other dogs to play with. And I hope that she knows that each and every one of you cared for her.

Thank you for not giving up, for being there for us and for helping Penny. Wherever she is, I’m sure she knows that so many people love her.

She will be missed forever and remembered with a smile always.

Alana Cowl and Scott Simon

chrism
May 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM
So so sorry to hear this. The only consolation is, as you say, that it may have so quick that she wasn't outside alone during that awful weather. When Gracie went missing this year the worst for us was knowing she was out in -30 temperatures. While you'll never find another Penny, know that rescuing another dog will bring light into that life, as you did with Penny's, and that's a wonderful thing to do. :dog:

chico2
May 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Alana my condolences to you and Scott,it was heartbreaking news:cry:
It is sad that Penny in death was awarded the front-page of the GTA section in the Star,where she should have been in the first article.
But it's too late now..
Through your valiant efforts and love for Penny,we got to know and love her,hoping for a better outcome:cry:
:rip:Sweet Penny,you were very much loved:candle:all the other angel-pups are waiting for you at the Bridge..

Winston
May 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Penny's Mom & Dad...you are so right she touched the lives of sooo many and maybe that was Penny's purpose in life. Besure to know she is running free of any pain and waiting for you to greet her some day!

RIP sweet Penny!

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Love4himies
May 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am so sorry, vegan-girl :grouphug: to you and your family.

hazelrunpack
May 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I'm so sorry about Penny, vegan-girl :grouphug:

:candle: Penny

diandpat
May 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM
:cry::cry::cry: This is so sad and thought the closure must be of some comfort the result is heartbreaking.
:rip: sweet Penny :pray:

14+kitties
May 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I am so sorry your closure had to come this way. :grouphug:
:candle: :rip: sweet Penny :candle:

Mat&Murph
May 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I am sooo very sorry for your loss...Your girl knew how much you loved her... Thank you for rescueing again!!! :grouphug:

mollywog
May 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM
what a touching tribute to your sweet Penny. :rip: :cry:
Thank you for rescuing again. :highfive: When you are ready, we would love to see and hear all about your new pup.

SIL
May 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
vegan_girl...My deepest condolences for your loss to you and your b/f. I first read your article in craigslist and couldn't believe my eyes.

Penny became a part of our lives and we are all grieving along with you :cry:

:rip: sweet Penny :candle:

Shaykeija
May 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I am so sorry for your loss...
Candles to help Penny over the bridge....

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh219/blackrose3k2009/HAUNTING/236584jw2r8d9a8j.gif

Sylvie
May 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure your new baby will add a touch of joy to your life. Penny was loved and that is wonderful.

Some things are not meant to be. :rip: Sweet Penny

hezbglad
May 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Alana and Scott;

I am so sorry..i don't even have the words. My dog means everything to me and i don't know what i'd do if i lost her.

Penny looked like such a sweet soul. I hope she is running and playing over the rainbow bridge..

Heather & Willow:angel:

lUvMyLaB<3
May 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
She was a beautiful dog! I know I was looking for updates often hoping along with everyone that you would get your girl back. Nothing will ever replace her, but I hope that if you do get another dog, your healing process will continue and you will find happiness with another dog that needs you until it is your time to see her again. My thoughts are with you both.

the gang
May 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
my heart goes out to you!!! penny was here for reason, god bless you and everyone that kept looking for her!! penny rest and have fun, run to the bridge with your friends and have a blast, mom and dad it will take time, god speed brenda and the pins :candle:

cpietra16
May 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I am so sorry vegan-girl. My condolences to you and your family. Penny was their for a very good reason. She was their as a link or their to teach or both....be free little one. :rip:Penny

TeriM
May 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :sad: :angel:. It is very obvious how much you loved Penny and I am sure she would approve of you opening your heart and honoring her memory by adopting another dog :).

Dee-O-Gee
May 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear this of Penny. It's very sad.

I'm sure she is now running pain free at the bridge.

:rip: Sweet Penny :candle::candle:

angeldogs
May 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

:rip:Penny

Stacer
May 9th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm so sorry. Penny. I'll take down posters in High Park when I come across them.

I was tending to some of the trees along the Queensway near High Park a month or so ago...to think she could have been so close :( And I looked at her poster everyday last week on the Colborne Lodge bulletin board wondering where she could be. Heartbreaking.

growler~GateKeeper
May 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Penny :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

mastifflover
May 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I am so sorry for your loss I was truly hoping she would get home safe and sound. She will always be with you. :sorry::rip:

LYNNNNNNN
May 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I know exactly how you feel....it hurts so much ...Penny:candle:
But now you know...not knowing is even worse...now you can get closure
and with time you will heal...
And by saving another little one you will both help each other through this difficult time So sorry for your loss:grouphug:

happycats
May 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
:rip: Penny :candle:

rainbow
May 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Penny. :sad:

You and Scott must be completely devastated :grouphug: .....please accept my heartfelt condolences. :grouphug:

:rip: Beautiful Sweet Penny :candle:

raisingcane58
May 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I am so so so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine.

My thoughts are with you

Belinda:sorry:

Maer
May 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
How sad, I'm so sorry for your loss. Penny looked so lovely.

Maer