Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litterbug neighbor

SuperWanda
May 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have a neighbor, a couple who are in their 70's that still have two sons living at home. One of the sons smokes and drinks and basically litters his butts and beer cans on my front lawn or behind our house in the lane. We noticed in the winter that he would be pacing in front of our house smoking and when the snow melted there was literally hundreds of butts on our boulevard. At night he drinks out in the back lane and throws his beer cans behind our garage. My neighbor between us has asked him to pick up after himself and has offered her recycle bin for the cans but nothing has changed.

I would like to say something but honestly feel uncomfortable around the son. I do like the parent's and I have thought a million times to say something but just don't know how to approach the subject. I don't want to make them or myself feel uncomfortable but it's driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?

TacoGrl
May 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Gather everything up into a garbage bag and give it back to them...again with the inconsiderate people! :frustrated:

JennieV
May 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I would say you'd have to literally catch him in the act. Just knowing that he does that - wouldn't get you far. For example, the neighbour down my street came out and yelled at me one day, that I don't pick up after my dog, which I RELIGIOUSLY do. So I told him that the poops he is talking about are definitely not from my dog, and suggested he kept an eye open for other dog owners, which I assume he did, because he never bothered me again.

I completely understand your frustration, but other than confronting the litterbug - there isn't much you can do. I don't even know what you could do legally, I mean, there must be some legislation about littering in your neck of the woods?? its a big annoyance, but there isnt much I could suggest, unfortunately.

Dog Dancer
May 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Not to offend, but I hate smokers who think the world is their ash tray. My tenant downstairs throws her butts all over our driveway. We're going to put out a butt container for her. I would suggest you pick up the cans and the butts that you can and toss them right back into their yard. If they see you, just say "just returning these things to you, I saw you drop them by mistake."
Good luck to you. Pigs are just pigs. (ps I love real pigs...)

aslan
May 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I AM a smoker, i don't smoke in the house, but i also don't flick my cigarettes all over the place. Seriously how friggen hard is it, to either have an ashtray which to me still looks kinda gross, or jeez a friggen timmies cup with the lid still on, knock the heater off drop the butt in the cup. This isn't just a smoker thing, this is just ignorance, like throwing tissues or cups out the car window. I agree with the others, flick it all back on their property.

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I am a smoker as well and do the same as aslan, I have "Butt Contaniors" everywhere. (The whole family smokes) I hate butts all over the place and see no need for it.

SuperWanda
May 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've thought about collecting it all and taking it back to their yard but I don't want to look like I am directing my anger towards the parents. I do like them (the parents) and they keep their yard and home very neat and clean so I'm pretty sure he is trying to hide all of this from them (even though he must be 40! :eek:). The drinking and tossing of the beer cans always happens at night.

I can muster up some courage to confront him but I think I've convinced myself that he might be a little crazy.

Mat&Murph
May 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
poor thing...mybe talk to the parents in a nice way. Just because the parents are nice doesn't mean you have to put up with a mess. Mybe just bring it up with them

BrownEyedGirl
May 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
My 2 cents, but then again, I'm kinda a you know what, I would very nicely and politely say, maybe you didn't realize it but you dropped a beer can and cig butt in my yard. I'm sure someone as intelligent as you would do something like this on PURPOSE so just wanted to point it out to you.

Littering is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. If I see someone drop something on the ground I will call them on it, I'll say "excuse me, you dropped this" usually they are too stunned to be rude back to me.

Dog Dancer
May 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Well if you think he's a bit off the nut then maybe confronting him directly isn't the answer. I'd very nicely talk to his parents about it. Maybe say, I notice your son is smoking and drinking out in the back and it's kinda messy and spilling into my yard, would you mind putting out a cigarette container and garbage can for him so his garbage doesn't end up in our yard, or you could offer to put it out for them. I'd be careful if you're not sure of him. He may escallate things if you're direct.

TacoGrl
May 13th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I do like them (the parents) and they keep their yard and home very neat and clean so I'm pretty sure he is trying to hide all of this from them...

THEIR yard is clean cuz all their garbage is in YOUR yard!

I still say gather it all up and give it back to them...perhaps if the parents SEE how much lands on YOUR property, they may do something about it. :fingerscr

JennieV
May 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I thought, maybe, if you are nice about it, and polite, he may not go cuckoo on you...and you can always call on his parents for back-up. That way, you will have more leverage, you can say "look, I talked to him myself, but nothing changed, could you please do something....."

Hope it works out

Dracko
May 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
THEIR yard is clean cuz all their garbage is in YOUR yard!

I still say gather it all up and give it back to them...perhaps if the parents SEE how much lands on YOUR property, they may do something about it. :fingerscr

EXACTLY! :thumbs up