Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swine flu at my kids school

Diamondsmum
May 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
well.. note came home from school letting us as parents know that there is 2 kids who tested postitve for swine flu (although 1 not in my kids grade She was in mexico and when resturned home and got sick) My sons best friend got iill (Test results for him came back as postitive)

Both of MY kids were really ill just 2wks ago it started first my son & then my daughter last week. My son was quite ill kept him from school & he recovered then My daughter is still getting over it. (cough) I think as well I got a touch of it but recovered.

The school is implemting a cleaning but who is to say how many more up here will become infected? As I know of 8 kids + families who got ill just after my sons buddy got ill after visiting him:yell:. As well as night before I posted about the HUGE fire here there was a party that all who attended got sick.

Looks like York region is going to see a spike in cases.

Dog Dancer
May 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Wow, that's terrible. I thought I heard that it was steadying out now though, so hopefully with your area it will just be a small blip. Sure hope everyone recovers fully.

hazelrunpack
May 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Now is actually the best time to get it. Swine flu often comes back in a more virulent form the following fall--anyone who gets this milder version of it will likely be immune to it if it morphs and comes back this fall.

So far, swine flu north of the Mexican border is pretty mild--chances are that all the kids will be okay :thumbs up

CDC is no longer recommending that schools be closed due to confirmed cases of swine flu among the kids. Instead, they're now recommending the protocol used for regular flu--schools are only closed if so many kids and teachers are out sick that it doesn't make sense to keep it open. :shrug: No schools have been closed under the new recommendations that I've heard of.

14+kitties
May 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Excellent report hazel! :thumbs up Exactly what I listened to yesterday too. Thanks for being the voice of reason.
I have had a rotten chest cold for the last week. Do you know how tired I am with customers asking if I've been to Mexico? :frustrated:
If we are going to be nervous about a flu then try the regular ol' run of the mill flu that's been around for years.......

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/

Diamondsmum
May 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks hazel :)

I spoke with with health dept they said that the immunity even getting it now means next time you still could get it worse.. (As the virus mutates with each new person) that was confirmed when the parents all laid out the symptoms of there kids. 1 had the runs 1 had vomiting another fever was longer sore throat etc etc. When the kids got sick mine included We all (parents) just figured a bug and although connected (being around each other) I think the different symptoms kinda threw us off.

And well I can say they all survived:)

My daughter is being tested today as she still has a cough from it (school called and asked permission)

lUvMyLaB<3
May 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Happened here too... A friend of mine went to Mexico and a teen girl that was with her has been confirmed with it. Her youngest child goes to my kids school, and is in my daughters class. They have all stayed home since the diagnosis. Everyone else is fine so far, I am not really worried about it at all. The regular flu hurts a lot more people every year, it is natural for viruses to mutate and begin to transfer from human to human. I think the best thing is to carry on like normal, wash hands, stay away from snotty sneezy people and you should be ok.

The symptoms I believe are the same as a normal flu, fever, aches, coughing and respritory infection.. There could be more people with the H1N1 flu but are not tested for it if they have had no reason to be, like being in mexico. The only reason the girl here was is because she was just in mexico, otherwise they would not have even tested for H1N1..

SARS and the Bird flu both started like this and died down, it is possible that after the sustained human to human transfer ( level 5-6 ) it will peak, and then go past peak and stay that way.

Because I said bird flu i should mention that it is believed that H1N1 is a combination of bird flu, and swine flu, that mutated with human flu so it now tranfers from human to human rather than only from animal to human ( that would be level 2ish, level 1 is animal to animal only)

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
We luckily have had no reports here in Florida.

Magicwildwolf69
May 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM
we've had reports of it here in CT. My work place is going full drive into extra cleaning but i agree with it because we have hundreds of people go through each day.

obamaviva
May 27th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I think as well I got a touch of it but recovered.

babymomma
May 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hope the children are doing better!

We havent had any cases in Newfie land..