Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rub-a-dub-dub, 6 duckies in the tub!

Gail P
May 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
The ducklings are growing so fast! Every few days I put them in the tub for a swim and a bath while I clean out their pen downstairs, and they have a splashing good time. They love it if I throw in pieces of bread and lettuce that they can eat out of the water, and will dabble around to see if there's anything on the bottom. They also like to dip their heads under water and then splash water over their backs. I think I'm going to soon move them out to the chicken coop, they're getting big and their feathers are coming in. Plus, I will have to get their pen cleaned up and dried out (they splash a lot of their drinking water around!) before the next tenants arrive. In a month I've got meat chicks and turkeys on the way that will need to be brooded in the basement under the heat lamp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2009%20dog%20pics/DSCF1835.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2009%20dog%20pics/DSCF1840.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/2009%20dog%20pics/DSCF1842.jpg

Jim Hall
May 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
lol so funny they look so goofy

Gail P
May 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
lol so funny they look so goofy

They sound pretty funny too. Up til now they've been just making peeping noises like chicks but some of them are starting to make a faint rusty sounding quack now too. It almost seems like they surprise themselves when they hear it.

They get themselves nice and wet and do a lot of scratching, splashing and sometimes even try to dive under the water. After I put them back downstairs they spend a lot of time preening and getting themselves all dried off and fluffed back up. In beteen more splashing in their drinking water. The booklet from the hatchery sure wasn't kidding where it says ducklings are born thirsty and stay that way.

hazelrunpack
May 8th, 2009, 12:03 AM
They really are growing fast! Love the one standing up out of the water, exercising its wings. :cloud9: So cute!

growler~GateKeeper
May 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
The one standing in the 2nd pic is too cute! :lovestruck:

Brandykins
May 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Aw those are right wee cuties. Love the 2nd pic with the wee one trying to get out! Lovely pics:)

Take care.

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM
They're so cute! I must have missed an original thread about them. Are you keeping them in your yard?

onster
May 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Awwww how cute!!!

Now I want a duckie :lovestruck::cloud9:

Gail P
May 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
They're so cute! I must have missed an original thread about them. Are you keeping them in your yard?

I got them 3 weeks ago and posted a few pics that I titled "Quack, quack!". They're supposed to be both pets and (when they grow up) for herding practice for the dogs. Right now they live in my basement in a pen with a heat lamp because our chicken coop has no electricity. I've been debating when to move them out to the coop, was thinking about it a couple of days ago but I decided to postpone it for a few more days. I hear we have some cool nights coming and I don't want them to get chilled out there. However, I now am in a quandry and am more undecided. We've recently been having coon trouble at the coop. Last week I had a migraine headache and spent the day in bed after doing morning chores and letting the hens out to free range. By the time I was feeling better it was late and dark and the coop was still open. A coon went in and took away 3 chickens that night. Since then I've been making a point of closing everything up before dark but last night the coon was back and snuck in through some cracks. The coop is old and out of square so there is space around the door. When I went to do chores this morning I had 2 dead hens and 4 more alive but mangled with their necks and backs of their heads bitten. When he gets home dh is going to try to block up the cracks around the door for me and maybe sit in wait for the coon tonight with his gun. I don't like to have to do that but this is one bad coon. Once before I had one living in the loft over the coop that would take a chicken up there to eat, but it was only going after one a night and we blocked up the area where it was entering the coop and that problem ended. I've also had weasels and they're really nasty. They'll kill a bunch and cache them in the walls for later eating. If I cleaned up the carcasses they'd just kill more and hide them. I finally got a live trap and dealt with them, I actually caught a long-tailed weasel, a mink and 2 coons that spring. Those 2 coons weren't killing but they were going after the chickens that I had put in bags and were awaiting disposal. With where this coon is getting into the coop it would be difficult to try to live trap it I think, but I might set up the trap tonight and see. It's actually not a trap sized for raccoons, it's supposed to be for smaller animals like weasels, squirrels, etc. but the other coons did manage to fit in.

pbpatti
May 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Those little duckies look like they are having the time of their lives, I see some of them with their heads under the water and preening. Must be fun to see them grow. Look forward to some more pics with the dogs herding them.

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Wow, I really hope you can find a way to keep those coons out. Poor chickens.

Gail P
May 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Gaps around the chicken coop door are now filled in so hopefully that will keep the coon out. The live trap is set just in case. I really hope this solves the problem, I'd like to soon get the ducklings moved out of the basement. The bigger they get the messier they are and they love to splash water around and soak their shavings. Their pen is going to need time to dry out well before I put my little chicks and turkeys in there when I get them in a month. I guess this fall I'll also now be raising more chicks of a laying variety so come springtime I have more eggs. At one time I had between 40-50 hens but I scaled down quite a bit and had only 12 more recently. After last week's coon raid I was down to just 9 (two of which are older and don't lay well). Now there are just 7, four of which are injured and of the 3 healthy ones 2 are the old girls. One of the old ones is gone tonight, after being out free ranging for the daytime she found somewhere else to stay tonight. Can't say I blame her for being too spooked to go back into the coop for the night. She did this for a couple nights after the last raid as well. Fingers crossed :fingerscr that it will now be safer for them in there.