Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats in the sun?

TacoGrl
May 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Spring is here!

My two have found their spots, but I wonder about Messina sitting in the sun too long...she is very fair in colour...should I be moving her?

First a pic of Seth all comfy...I just want to pounce on him and give him a hug he is so cute!

14+kitties
May 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I don't think you have too much to worry about. If they get too hot they would move. I love the pics though! They look very comfy and lovable! :cloud9:

onster
May 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I think all kitties love to subathe :cloud9: Very cute pics.

I know that some cats, especially the light coloured ones/white ones can get skin cancer from the sun exposure. I'm not really sure what is 'too much' though and how youre supposed to get a cat who wants to be in the sun out of the sun :shrug: cuz u know theyll just go and find another sunny spot :rolleyes:

Love4himies
May 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Kitties need some sun. I wouldn't worry about skin cancer, unless they are outside in the blazing sun during the peak of the day.

Jim Hall
May 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
mmmmmm i know a liitle black kitty named janet taht gets so hot youd think she would melt she loves it esp short and med haired cats tey are like a heat sink

ancientgirl
May 8th, 2009, 01:30 PM
They look so comfy and cozy!

I would think their fur helps keep any bad sun rays away.

onster
May 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ok so i looked it up...

from http://www.petplace.com/cats/skin-cancer-in-cats/page1.aspx

The skin is the second most common site of cancer in the cat. Skin tumors in cats are more likely to be malignant than those in dogs. Skin cancer frequently occurs in cats that are middle-aged to older (six to 14 years of age), although there are several types of skin cancers that occur in young cats. There are no breeds of cats that are more commonly affected with skin tumors than others.

The cause of the majority of skin cancers is unknown. Exposure to the sun has been shown to cause a higher incidence of two types of skin cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and hemangioma.

Cats that are white and live outdoors have a high incidence of squamous cell carcinoma, particularly in parts of the body that have a thin haircoat such as the ears, nose and eyelids. The feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) has also been linked to the development of squamous cell carcinoma in cats, although it is unclear what role the virus plays in the development of these tumors. There may be a genetic basis for the development of certain cancers.

So basically, like everyone has said, I wouldnt really worry about it.

TacoGrl
May 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone!

I guess I could have stopped being so lazy and searched too, but I can't resist posting pics of my sweeties! :whistle: :D

onster
May 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
lol and thank u for posting them :thumbs up more please :D

TacoGrl
May 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
lol and thank u for posting them :thumbs up more please :D

These guys are going to throw my camera in the toilet if i don't stop taking pics of them LoL!

:D :D :D

chico2
May 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ohhh,I love their Tabby-faces,so very special:lovestruck:
When my cats are outside with us in the summer,they usually find a shady spot to lay down,but in the winter they'll do anything to find a sunny spot inside.
I think they know themselves when it;'s too hot for comfort.