- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


My New Dilemma Inbred Basset

May 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
These are the legs of a terribly inbred basset.. BYB'er .. I've seen 2 orthopedic surgeons.. both are of differing opinions from remove the worst leg.. fix both legs at a cost of $10,000. + euthanize her.. Let her be and when pain begins just manage it.. So now I'm taking her to Saint Hycinthe on the 25th of May.. so I can hear all my options.. and see what they might do for a rescue.. the BIG problem is that this 7 month old.. once the multiple surgeries begin.. he will need to be crated for approximately 1.5 years.. before ALL is fixed and rehab done..

May 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
How about the byb pay for the surgery :frustrated: :wall: :sad: Are the surgeons sure he will end up in pain?

May 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
If the dog is not in pain and has little to no problems with mobility, then leave it.

If you have the coin (which I assume as you are a rescue and money is difficult) then go for another opinion first.

It's amazing how a young dog will adapt as long as he is not in pain.

Just my :2cents:

Best to you.

May 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Aww the poor thing..she looks happy though. mybe wait and see how the pain is. If not in pain now then hold off as long as possible

May 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I think Quality of life is most important. Many of us want to fix everything we can regardless of cost, but crated for approx 1.5 years??? Honestly what kind of a life is that.
I vote for leave it until painful, sometimes the kindest thing any of us can do is to let them go.

May 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
If this were my rescue I would have her enjoy each day as best she can and when the time came I would deal with it. I think considering the healing time for surgery and what she will go through just isn't fair to her and having a major joint totally rebuilt myself and going through a year of recovery I can tell you it was hell and I am a tough gal.

I think it's amazing what vets can do today but we have to consider what the animal has to go through and we can't explain it to them. Quality of life is way more important to me, money aside.

May 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well his appointment at Saint Hyacinthe is Monday.. then I will make the best decision I can.. his Foster Mom wants to adopt him.. so at least have someone to disguss this with.. and between us we will put his best interests first.. and I do agree.. 1.5 years crated is overwhelming to think about..

May 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
I agree with leaving it until pain sets in and then managing that. 1.5 years in a crate would be just the pain from the surgeries anyway. I'm glad there is someone who wants to adopt and love him....sounds like he needs that more than anything :sad:

What a sweet looking puppy :cloud9:

May 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
OMG Nut-Meg,I agree with everyone else,the pain of the surgery and rehab 1 1/2 years,maybe with other complications would be too much for any animal.
I vote for letting him live the way he is and hopefully with painmeds(if needed),he will live a long time.:pray:
He's already loved and cared for,so that's half the battle won.:lovestruck:

the gang
May 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM
how did the appoipment go today???? brenda and the pins

May 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
JJ's Appointment
Today I was up in Saint Hyacinthe Vet College.. I saw their orthopedic guy this morning.. they anesthetized JJ did a set of XRAYS.. so 45 minutes later he called me in.. showed me the legs.. and a plan of action.. cat scan then he will do a cut scrape reshape and pin both bones in the right leg.. remove some bone on both to try to get the over stretched ligaments to pull the ball of the joint into a better area as its way off center .. they truly are in bad shape .. this will hopefully allow the joints to be more solid .. there is already signs of degeneration/arthritis due to the malformations .. he gave me a way to fix this right leg at a reasonable cost of $3000. thats a hole lot better than the $10-12,000.. the other surgeon wanted.. mind you he spoke of joint replacements.. plates ectra.. and a year and a half recovery.. this way with the pinning.. it should be 8-10 weeks.. crated.. then full XRAYS again .. I spoke with his foster to see if she was willing to do this for him as its a BIG job.. cleaning the pins daily.. carrying him in & out to the toilet.... check for oozing of any sort.. he'll have a cone on.. pain meds.. ectra.. Much to my delight.. she agreed.. and asked if she could adopt this boy.. as he has won her heart.. she will schedule vacation time for after his surgery.. she's going to take a course in Tellington Touch therapy.. so I'm pretty confident with her..

Now I just have to raise the funds.. for this leg..

May 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
8 - 10 weeks crating and a reasonable cost for the surgery--plus a future home!!!

Sounds like JJ's luck has changed, Helen. :thumbs up