Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Domestic Rabbit Dumped in my Yard ?!?

boxerlover2008
May 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Good morning,

Coming to you for help, as I am not sure what to do

Yesterday I came home, to find a beautiful big white and brown rabbit in the yard. We have a big yard not fenced in with a forest in the back. We get rabbits regularly, all year long, but none that look like this one. Ususally they are brown or grayish, smaller, and much quicker. This guy was plump and pretty slow and bright white and brown.

He stayed in our yard the whole evening yesterday, just munching on grass. When the dog seen him, he ran off to the edge of the forest and stayed there. This morning I woke up, and found him just sitting in our drive way (even though it was pouring rain). He stays put till your just a few feet in front of him and then hops a few feet away never sprints as all the other rabbits Ive seen do. He just seems pretty happy.

But I am worried, Im scared he is not just another wild rabbit and that someone may have dumped him there. If he is a domestic that was dumped, Im not sure he will be able to survive. Among rabbits that we have in the yard, we also get cats, raccoons, ground hogs, deer, etc I looked on petfinder to see if there are other rabbits that look like him, and he looks similar to American, Rex, and or English Rex?

Anyone have experience with rabbits, wild or domestic? And advise on what I should do?

cpietra16
May 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Can you catch him? he may not survive the cars, cats or dogs. You can ask a local rescue of you can borrow their trap.

boxerlover2008
May 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I want to try and catch him, and am willing to keep him, but just want to make sure he is a definite domestic rabbit before taking him in. I wouldnt want to remove a wild rabbit from his natural habitat. Has anyone ever seen white and brown wild rabbits?

Also, worried about trapping him. Could that scare him to the point that in can have negative affects?

cpietra16
May 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
If you're not sure call or email www.secourslapins.org. I assume that if a tame rabbit was released in the wild and reproduced, then a wild rabbit could come in many colors....but to be sure just call the rabbit rescue and ask them for info. There may be info on their web site as well.

Melinda
May 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
if you can get within a few feet of him, he's not wild....squat down with a carrot, if he's tame he'll eat from your hand...grab him by the scruff (leather or work gloves is reccomended)

Bina
May 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yes, it does sound like an English rabbit....they are strong and quite tough, but really should not be loose outdoors. He was dumped or is lost.
At this time of year it can be hard to catch him because he has lots of new grass and sprouts to nibble on.

If you can set up a food and water station in a quiet area, it may help to keep him in your yard and he will
get confidence in you. Sometimes, drastic measures are needed and if you can get a couple of friends
to hold some blankets, then just throw the blanket over him and tackle him.

He won't be thrilled, but if you do it fast it can sometimes be a better solution than setting
a live cage trap and waiting for days and days when the bunny is busy chewing down the buffet
in your garden. ;)
Keep us posted. Good Luck.

animaladvocate
May 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
BoxerLover-I private messaged you as well-with my contact info. I can help you with any questions you have on catching/keeping the rabbit!

"I have a lot of experience catching dumped domestic rabbits, and with domestic rabbits, as I own four and run a rabbit shelter.

It's quite easy to catch a rabbit-they can run fast, and turn on a dime-but only for short periods. They are not distance runners.

You've probably tried to catch him/her a couple of times-so now you know which way he/she will run. Block those areas off with anything that a bunny can't wiggle through -fibre boards work great-remember they can jump quite high too.

(you'll want to herd the rabbit into those areas by standing quite far away with the rabbit inbetween you and that area-and slowly approaching)

Now grab at least two partners and get ready to spend 20-30 minutes in sweaty frustration. Make sure everyone has a towel or blanket (of manageable size)-this is for if you get the rabbit cornered in the slghtest you just toss it over the rabbit and bundle him up. Get him secured as quickly as possible as they are quite capable of hurting themselves or you while thrashing around.

Since it's a domestic they should not be too terrified of being caught-once caught.
Secure him in a cage/kennel in the house and give him a few quite hours of no interaction to calm down."

Just email me (contact info in pm) for any questions you have!

Great rabbit resources are www.rabbit.org www.binkybunny.com http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

boxerlover2008
May 21st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hi again Everyone,

After trying to catch the rabbit for a few days, the Friday (the 8th of May) my bf let the dog out at around 9pm and it was very dark and she spotted the rabbit and chased him into the woods… We never seen him again and have been hoping since that he was alright.

Now this morning as I’m walking to my car, who is sitting in my drive way – the rabbit again! Almost 2 weeks later! I don’t know where he’s been or how he made it back, but he did. I didn’t have time to try and catch him again, as I was already late enough this morning. All the other times I seen him, he stayed in my yard the whole time – so hopefully he is there again when I get home tonight. So I will make another attempt tonight when I get home. I still can’t believe he is back after two weeks!

My problem is with trying to trap him, if the forest is my back yard. I couldn’t possibly block it all off. The neighbours yard next door is also not fenced in, and he often runs there under their deck or shed for shelter. Our dog Stella is still crated while we’re at work, but Friday night I can take her crate outside and put some stuff in there to try and tempt the rabbit in.

I’m not on here often as I don’t have the internet at home, but will try to keep you up to date on the progress. If you have any other hints please let me know.

Also, I really don’t know how the dog will get along with the rabbit – so if anyone is interested in a beautiful white and brown rabbit with big beautiful eyes – let me know!

He looks almost identical to this, just change the black for choclate milk coloured brown, and he's bigger :)
http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/469933/i/LA_OreoCookie_071006_ezr.jpg

Melinda
May 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
have you checked at any shelters to see if someone reported missing a pet?

boxerlover2008
May 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
I live in a small subburb outside of Montreal and we don't have a shelter here. Our animal control is in a neighbouring town, and I heard they aren't very good. There's always posters up at the local deps about missing dogs or cats, but never seen for a rabbit...