Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible rat poison ingestion?

blackandwhite
May 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hello, our 9 year old border collie cross female has been sick for four months now (starting in January.) It began with vomitting, general weakness/ trouble walking, dull behaviour, difficulties breathing and lack of interest in food and progressed to bleeding from the nose, blood in the stool, some hair loss, and trouble getting up/ occasional limping. She also has a carnassial tooth abscess which had been treated with anitbiotics months before, but began to flare up again and bleed occasionally (the vet is reluctant to remove the tooth).
She was taken to the vet where she was said to have a respiratory infection, and was treated with anitbiotics. There was no real improvement accept in her appetite to some degree. We recently discovered our neighbour's dog had similiar symptoms in January when out dog first got sick, but he has since recovered.
We suspect the dogs may have ingested rat poison. Is this a plausible explanation, and is there anything that can be done to help her this far after the initial ingestion?

Mat&Murph
May 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I would take her back to the vet and tell them the concern of rat poisen ASAP. Not sure if they can do anything. but might be able to deal with some of the health issues. Hope all the best for you and keep us posted :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Sounds like you and your dog have been through the ringer :grouphug: Have you tried consulting a specialist? If there's a veterinary teaching hospital in your area, your vet can give you a referral. At the very least, having new eyes looking at the problem might lead you to a new solution.

Where are you located? Are you in an area with a lot of ticks? Just wondering because many of the symptoms you describe can occur with anaplasmosis...

kandy
May 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
There are many different kinds of rat poison, and warafin is sometimes included which causes the blood to thin and stops the clotting process - it will cause internal bleeding, sometimes the animal will bleed from the nose, gums or rectum - but vomiting is not normally a symptom. Ingesting it is normally fatal if left untreated. There is a blood test that will detect the poison.

I would suggest the blood work be done ASAP - it will give the vet a good place to start in determining what the problem is.

blackandwhite
May 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hi! Thanks everyone for your advice and support. The dog is actually my mum's, and she lives up in northern Ontario.. so in January ticks wouldn't really be possible. I'm not really sure what my mum is planning to do, but I have passed along your guys helpful advice! Thanks again !

AnnHFashion
May 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hi all

I had the same problem with my dogs. Both had
weakness in the hind quarters and could not get up.
The shepherd was first to start and the weakness was
the only symptom for about a week, then she went
down hill on March 20th. By midnight she was breathing
hard ,with diahhrea and died early in the morning.

The poodle started about a week after the shepherd was gone
and he had the weakness, then would not eat and I tried
everything to get him to eat. Then he started to bleed from the
nose and mouth and died the next day.

Both were healthy for their age and everything went downhill fast.

I was thinking poison but do not know how they would
have got it. Vet was called but we live too far from a vet for
immediate care ( a 5 hour drive ). Autopsy is $400 and I am
on disability pension.

I am still looking for answers but realize there may not be an answer.


Ann
AnnHFashion