Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gryphon is Sick

Dee-O-Gee
May 4th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Gryphon woke me at 6:00 a.m. this morning, whimpering. He NEVER does this and will sleep until I wake up (8:00 a.m. during the week, 11:00 am. on weekends!) We need our beauty sleep you know :thumbs up

Anyway, this behaviour was very odd and then what I thought was him throwing up turned out to be a squirt of poop.

We got up and I immediately let him out. He stayed in a squat position for nearly 10 minutes :sad:

He came in and was fed---bad idea :sad:

After being fed, he had 6 more incidents throughout the day. :sick:

DH stayed home today and cleaned up after the poor little guy. :sad: Fortunately, we have hardwood floors through the entire house so cleaning up wasn't that bad. :confused:

I came home from work and gave him chicken boullion with water (electrolytes) and is on a no food diet for 24 hours. Not sure if I should give him another dose of bouillon/water before bed or not? He seems relaxed now and this whole ordeal really hasn't affected his behaviour or sillyness. :pray:

Tommorrow afternoon, I plan to give him boiled down hamburg with rice as a starter. If this persist beyond Wednesday, we'll seek an immediate vet visit.

We're just stunned on what could have caused this to happen? So far, the only thing we could come up with is that DH cleaned out the BBQ this weekend (on the grass) and whatever little BBQ meat remnants that fell onto the ground--ended up in Gryphon's mouth :shrug:

I guess we'll see how the bland diet goes tomorrow. :sad:

hazelrunpack
May 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Oh, no! Poor Gryphon!! :eek:

Another bouillon/water portion should be okay--you want to make sure the poor guy doesn't get dehydrated. Is he throwing up, too, or is it just the diarrhea?

This time of year is notorious for tummy ailments--could be just a bug, or the BBQ stuff, or even an imbalance of the bacteria in his gut.

Do you know if he has a fever? If he's running a temp, I'd bring him in tomorrow--he might need antibiotics.

Give the sweetheart a hug for me, k? :grouphug:

breeze
May 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM
how is Gryphon this morning??

:fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I hope he's up and at 'em this morning, klm! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
May 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Boy, this is the year for tummy issues! Hopefully he's just caught some 24 hour thing. :fingerscr

rainbow
May 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I hope Gryph is doing better today. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Dee-O-Gee
May 5th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Friends 51631

Thanks for your concerns and thoughts.

I gave him some more chicken broth last night along with 40cc's of Kaopectate before bed (suppose to be 1 ml/pound, he's 45 lbs but only gave 40).

I boiled the hamburg last evening, then made the rice fresh this morning, using 50/50 ratio.

He had a great day today--no diarrhea. :lightbulb:

He's still going to have the hamburg rice tonight and for breakfast, as a precaution and ween back his normal food tomorrow evening that is, if the symptons subside.

We really think it may have been the chard remains from the BBQ cleaning, plus DH did use some sprays to clean it, but a good friend of mine told me that if he was poisoned with the sprays, he would also be vomitting along with other serious symptons (which he hasn't displayed). :pray:

He's scheduled for a vet check up next Saturday so I will still bring up this episode with our Vet if this illness is now on the ammends.

ancientgirl
May 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
It sounds like whatever he had is passing. Hopefully it was just an upset tummy.

rainbow
May 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Glad to hear that Gryph is doing better. :thumbs up

It probably was the BBQ remains and the spray your hubby used could have been just enough to irritate his digestive system and cause the diarrhea.

Hope he is still okay when you put him back on his normal food. :fingerscr

14+kitties
May 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
:thumbs up Glad to hear he's on the mend!

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Whew! Glad to hear Gryphon is feeling better today! :highfive:

:goodvibes: for continued improvement!!

breeze
May 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
so happy that he is feeling better...

:goodvibes: for tomorrow :goodvibes: