Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Winston has a lump near his pads on his paw...

ssegreti
May 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone,

Can anybody please provide me with their advice or experience with any similar situation. My 3 y.o. (Winston) has a tiny lump behind the large pad on one of his paws (diameter of probably 4-5 mm). I believe it came upon quite suddenly as he came in from outside one day and immediately started licking it. This same day, the tiny lump was very red, but has since become a more "normal" color. He has no pain when walking or running, but still licks it (I am assuming to ease the pain) and the lump has not changed since. He does feel pain when I touch it or put pressure on it.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with anything similar. At first, I thought it was a bite, but I have a feeling that it might be something like a splinter or other object of that size lodged in there and the paw is reacting to this, but when you read some other blogs, its just worring a little. He does have a vet appointment on Tuesday which will be about a week after first noticing this. Thank you so much if you can provide any personal experiences to help out.

Winston
May 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
You really should take your guy to the vet to get it checked. Maybe soaking it in some warm water to see if you can see anything visibly lodged in there?

What about a bee sting?

Cindy

Bina
May 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
If the lump is hot there could be an underlying infection. If it was a sting, he would benefit from holding an ice cube on it, but that would have been a few days ago.
There is still a possibility that it is a small tumour, but don't worry about that yet.
Can you post a pic of it? what kind of doggie?

ssegreti
May 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hello again,

He is a small bichon maltese. Here are 3 pics...

Melanie1010
May 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
My dog had something very very similar about 4-5 months ago. A vet visit should be in order as I noticed Nitro was licking his toe to the point where it was almost raw. The vet aspirated it to ensure it was not a potentially cancerous tumor (which it wasnt thankfully!!!!).
But it was a Histiocytoma - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_(dog)
He needed a 10 day course of anti-biotics to help clear it up. Our vet also recommended soaking his foot twice per day in epson salts. It eventually cleared up but our vet did explain sometimes they dont clear with antibiotics and need to be removed. Your best bet is to get to your vet to get it checked out and if it is a Histiocytoma get antibiotics started before it gets worse!

Good luck!

mummummum
May 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I would favour a very hot soak with epsom salts followed by a topical of tea-tree oil 3x daily between now and your Vet appointment. I like using a magnifying glass for this kind of stuff ~ sometimes it's darn tuff to see the the hair for the coiffure (sp? Frenchie?).

Lumps and bumps are funny things. I never discount them but, I try to think sensibly about all the trouble my rotters cause and the possbile things they get into.

For instance, today, my darling old boy Declan was walking along when all of a sudden his hips collapsed. He tried to drag himself along with the grrrls for a few feet but, it was clear his back legs weren't going anywhere soon. When I got him up and "copped a feel" as it were, he had a brad ~a nail ~ in his paw. Once it was out, he was fine. (No worries everyone :thumbs up, no puncture apparent, all the needed natural pro's and anti's admin'd)

Your little guy could have an ingrown hair, a thorn you can't see, an allergic reaction or it could be cancer. If detected the first two are no-brainers unless infected. Allergies are more difficult. Cancer can be a long journey.

A good diet and (something like) MilkThistle added to his diet will help build his immune sytem. And that, regardless of his diagnoses and treatment is what you need to do to help him fight anything that comes.