Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Michael Vick spokesperson for PETA!!????

babyrocky1
May 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
http://adage.com/article?article_id=136403
How discusting is this????

Jim Hall
May 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
the purpose of incarcerating someone is to rehabilite them. Once thier sentence is up Theya have the right to work were they chose unless other wise sanctioned by the court
Before any one hires him as the article points out he will be evaluted very carefully

I persoannly would want nothing to do with him as is my right , just as his right is to attempt to restore his name and fortune.
As for PETA well lol w/ever they pretty much a laugher these days

babyrocky1
May 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Heres the thing.. both PETA and VICk have exploited "Pit bulls" to make money... and if they forge this unholy alliance it will be both of them doing the same thing for the same reason AGAIN!

PETA exploited the VICK situation already.. got lots of publicity! translated into lots of donations.... and then called for the VICK dogs to be put down.. they were not put down, thanks to Best Friends and despite PETA.. and most of them were rehabbed and adopted... NOW the two parties are looking to get publicity out of "pit bulls" AGAIN.. I don't care if he has paid his legal debt to society.. there is nothing he can do to pay his moral debt to those dogs.. he tortured them remember???

I would agree with you if it were him being hired for an other job that did not involve animals.. I do believe that people should be given second chances but not by exploiting their victims.. !

This is about Vick trying to repair his image so he can get his bazillion dollar career back and PETA .. more publicity.. more money.. more dogs to kill..

I liken this to people who commit horrific crimes and then write books and profit from the sale of the books or movies.

BUT that is illegal and so should this be.

TeriM
May 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Before doing a deal, however, PETA wants Mr. Vick to undergo a psychological evaluation for antisocial personality disorder. "We're suspicious this may come from a place of simply wanting to repair his public image, rather than genuine remorse," Mr. Shannon said. "He was dishonest all the way up the line until he finally had to admit to what he did, which is a hallmark of [antisocial personality disorder]. If he can't tell the difference between right and wrong, we can't get in bed with this guy. At this point, he hasn't chosen to submit to an evaluation. We hope the NFL will require that evaluation as a precondition of reinstatement. The bottom line is: Everybody knows he's going to apologize, go on Oprah and Larry King and say he did wrong, that he learned his lesson. But there's no reason for anybody to take his word for that based on the pattern of dishonesty and the severity of cruelty he took part in."

Wow, I think I actually agree with PETA on something :eek:.

However many people actually support PETA (I don't) and anything they do to help repair this mans image is just another abuse against the dogs in my opinion.

Luvmypitgirls
May 2nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Peta, doesn't care about "where" Mike Vick is coming from whatsoever. They support BSL and Pitbull bans, infact they felt the dogs saved from MV's property should have been immediately euthanized, they didn't feel anyone should try to rehab these poor beautiful dogs who were subjected to the horrors of Mike Vick and his ilk.

I take serious issues with Peta, I believe them to be a bunch of hypocrites.

The fact that they would even entertain the idea of Mike Vick being a spokesman is evidence of how out of touch they are.

ownedbycats
May 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
I remember reading somewhere, I don't know if it was a link here, or somewhere else, that of the animals PETA "rescues" each year, and this article was quoting their own published statistics, PETA euthanizes something like 80% - 90% of the animals it "rescues". IF I am remebering this correctly and the article I read did proper research, why am I not surprised that they are willing to have Michael Vicks as their spokesman?

chico2
May 2nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
MV,should go and hide under a rock somewhere the"I'm sorry"carries no weight with me,he's only sorry he got caught and lost $$$$.
After all,he's was torturing dogs since before he became a big"football star"and made millions.
Hiring MV,will only put another nail in Peta's coffin,so in a way I hope they do:evil:
Serious animal sanctuaries,like Best Friends should get the money now given to Peta.

babyrocky1
May 2nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
My sentiments exactly Chico!

ancientgirl
May 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
This monster is only interested in one thing, making money and rebuilding his career. I don't care how many times he "apologizes" or how remorseful he may seem to be, I don't believe it!

babyrocky1
May 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Peta, doesn't care about "where" Mike Vick is coming from whatsoever. They support BSL and Pitbull bans, infact they felt the dogs saved from MV's property should have been immediately euthanized, they didn't feel anyone should try to rehab these poor beautiful dogs who were subjected to the horrors of Mike Vick and his ilk.

I take serious issues with Peta, I believe them to be a bunch of hypocrites.

The fact that they would even entertain the idea of Mike Vick being a spokesman is evidence of how out of touch they are.
Exactly.. I have some fact links on PETA somewhere... I will try and get them later today.. their kill rate is shocking and they absolutely DO support BSL!

ownedbycats
May 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Babyrocky1 - if you could post their kill rates that would be great. I know I saw them somewhere, and would like to know if my memory of what they arewas accurate.

mastifflover
May 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
As far as I am concerned they are a good match. They both are exploiting this to make money they are not advocates for the dogs. Peta is always on the side of money. How can an animal rights group advocate killing a breed?? Then hire an animal abuser?

WantingToLearn
May 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
*Said in a quiet voice*

Forgive me, as I know that this is a very touchy subject; but are we really discounting a human's capacity for change, rehabilitation, remorse and growth? Maybe his time behind bars has forced him and rehabilitated him? I know it's easy to say it's a publicity grab....but what if maybe... it isn't, and he's just trying to make amends, and trying to learn from his past deeds? Maybe the PETA solution isn't the greatest, but he'll learn.

Just my :2cents: short of a nickel.

On a side note: 80-90%! My gosh PETA, WTH man!

babyrocky1
May 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
theoretically I believe what you say.. people hopefully can make horrific mistakes and then change.. but to have the cold hearted ability to torture an animal.. well thats something fundamentally off in ones personality as far as I am concerned..

Vick also knows full well that PETA wanted to have the dogs put down.. and certainly knows that they ended up with Best Friends.. so why not volunteer to do everything he can to support and publicize Best Friends.. ???

I would assume that thats cuz most folks haven't heard of them in the general public.. and so his own purpose of bringing attention TO HIMSELF rather than to the evils of dog fighting would not be served..

PETA is a horrific organization.. I am sorry I have not gotten the links together.. one of my very close friends is very sick and I am having trouble concentrating.

WantingToLearn
May 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Vick also knows full well that PETA wanted to have the dogs put down.. and certainly knows that they ended up with Best Friends.. so why not volunteer to do everything he can to support and publicize Best Friends.. ???

I would assume that thats cuz most folks haven't heard of them in the general public..

Fair enough. I would have preferred that he volunteered and worked with Best Friends.

PETA is a horrific organization.. I am sorry I have not gotten the links together.. one of my very close friends is very sick and I am having trouble concentrating.

Believe me, I'm no fan of PETA....I find them questionable in the least and at their worst...terrifying.

I'm sorry about your friend. I hope things improve for you all. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

14+kitties
May 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
While I have no love for PETA; after all, this is the organization who wanted to make George Clooney's sweat into tofu :yuck:; I just did a search and found this........ Posted May 1, 2009

http://blog.peta.org/

Setting the Record Straight on Michael Vick
Posted at 06:37 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

weblogs.baltimoresun / CC
Now that he's about to get out of jail, it looks like Michael Vick is trying to revamp his image, according to Advertising Age. But it won't be with any help from us.

PETA withdrew our offer to do a TV spot with Michael Vick last December when a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) report on Vick's dogfighting activities revealed that he enjoyed placing “family pets” in the ring with fighting pit bulls and that he laughed as dogs ripped each other apart. PETA believes that this revelation, along with other factors in the report, fit the established profile for anti-social personality disorder (APD), so in January we called on NFL Commissioner Goodell to require that Vick undergo a brain scan and a full psychological evaluation before any decisions are made about the future of his football career.

What can I say? You can't believe everything you read.

Posted by Shawna Flavell

:shrug:

ancientgirl
May 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
One of the big problems with his "change of heart" is according to his own father, he's always been like this. Not to mention, when he did admit to the dog fighting he apologized to everyone but the dogs. He never once said how bad he felt for any of the dogs. Basically, he apologized for getting caught.

babyrocky1
May 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
PETA withdrew the offer only cuz of public outcry! How could they have offered it the first place??/ well I know how.. but there withdrawl of the offer doesn't show any merit on their part.

Melinda
May 4th, 2009, 06:20 AM
didn't part of his sentence state that he can't own any pets or be around any??

chico2
May 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I honestly don't think a cruel,selfish person can change,rehab might work with a drug-addict or an alcoholic,compassion for other living beings cannot be taught.
An apology is only words.
MV went from being an over-paid football"hero"to a pariah in society,all his own doing.
As for PETA,they have made"animal-activist"a dirty word:evil:

kandy
May 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't put it past PETA to 'get into bed with' MV. What better publicity for an organization that wants to eliminate the ownership of all animals than a man who stands for everything that PETA wants people to believe about bully breeds??? You know they will use him to show how easily a bully breed can be trained to be vicious - it won't matter that any dog can be trained to be mean, it won't matter that it was men like MV who put these loyal and wonderful dogs on the media radar to be vilified and feared. What will matter to them is that the message will underscore what PETA has said over and over again - that the whole breed needs to be eradicated. I hate PETA. While they do have the manpower to bring to light some of man's worst atrocities on animals, their open support of extremist groups and ultimate goal of ending any kind of pet ownership drown out any good they might do IMO. You mention the name and people quit listening - they have destroyed their own ability to be seen as anything other than terrorists IMO.

And yes, his own father said in an interview that this was not a passing fancy for MV, but rather a lifelong pursuit. His father said that MV and his friends would leave the dogs bloodied and wounded and he (the father) was the one that would tend to their injuries. I would have to agree that while some behaviors can be rehabilitated, a lack of empathy for other living, feeling creatures cannot be instilled where none exists.

chico2
May 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
It's not like he needed the money,he did this out of pure sadistic pleasure,watching dogs fighting for their lives,IMO MV can never be forgiven.
His vet should also have been prosecuted,a vet who pulls a female dogs(georgia) teeth out,so she cannot defend herself,is highly unethical and cruel,not fit to be called a vet.:evil:

mastifflover
May 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with Chico not the kind of person you would want to have to take your pets to. He should have faced charges of cruelty also. I would hope people could change but I do not believe Vick has one ounce of remorse other than the fact he got caught.

Love4himies
May 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I believe as people age, they do change and mature, but I don't believe in a couple of years you can go from a cold hearted person with no empathy, to a kind soul. Maybe he regrets what he did, but only because he has lost so much, not because he caused so many dogs so much pain, big difference :sad:.

Golden Girls
May 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM
As for PETA,they have made"animal-activist"a dirty word:evil:Exactly! As far as Vick doing time doesn't instill empathy, morality and respect for living beings. He need not be brain-scanned ... his profile is simple: A psycopath who takes pleasure from profitting/controlling and torchuring animals and should be listed as a "Dangerous Offender"

According to L.A. Times http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/05/peta-denies-michael-vick-in-talks-to-be-spokesman.html

I agree with everyone he's only sorry to of gotten caught. He may have paid dearly ... but what a message - he's done!

babyrocky1
May 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=83375532653&h=VaMdr&u=Xrlf-&ref=mf

Sorry this took so long guys... just ran across this and thought it would explain a lot.. there are many more articles etc. explaining the evils of PETA..

I am going to leave for BC to see my friend next week.. thank you for your kind wishes and thoughts! Much appreciated!!!

chico2
May 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
OMG,Babyrock and they call themselves"animal-activists":evil:

Golden Girls
May 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM
I'm with Love4himies, I don't believe anyone can go from being a cold hearted person with no epathy to a kind soul. Also what Chico said: he didn't need the money he did this out of pure sadistic pleasure.

I don't know what to think of this email

From: Humane Society of the United States (humanesociety@hsus.org)
Sent: May 20, 2009 4:31:48 PM

Dear wendi -- You may have seen the news that Michael Vick has been released from prison, and that The Humane Society of the United States is going to provide an opportunity for him to get involved in some of our anti-dogfighting outreach programs. Animal advocates might be skeptical, as I was, about whether a man who committed such horrible acts to dogs could do anything positive to help animals. But I want to give him the chance to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem. If he is serious -- and we’ll soon find out -- then Vick can help HSUS reach young men in urban communities and tell his story about dogfighting being a dead end. Our on-the-street programs teach at-risk kids that pit bulls are friends, not fighters. I wanted to share with you my blog which I've just posted today http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2009/05/michael-vick.html which elaborates on my thinking.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

http://www.examiner.com/x-2113-Phoenix-Pet-News-Examiner~y2009m5d20-Michael-Vick-now-working-with-the-HSUS

Melinda
May 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
yeah, I received that this morning also, I'm sorry, but I would want that man no where near my children (teaching them right and wrong) or near my dog if it ended up lost at the spca, dogs aren't fools, they'll know the care isn't being given to them with love.....

ancientgirl
May 21st, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm with Love4himies, I don't believe anyone can go from being a cold hearted person with no epathy to a kind soul. Also what Chico said: he didn't need the money he did this out of pure sadistic pleasure.

I don't know what to think of this email

From: Humane Society of the United States (humanesociety@hsus.org)
Sent: May 20, 2009 4:31:48 PM

Dear wendi -- You may have seen the news that Michael Vick has been released from prison, and that The Humane Society of the United States is going to provide an opportunity for him to get involved in some of our anti-dogfighting outreach programs. Animal advocates might be skeptical, as I was, about whether a man who committed such horrible acts to dogs could do anything positive to help animals. But I want to give him the chance to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem. If he is serious -- and we’ll soon find out -- then Vick can help HSUS reach young men in urban communities and tell his story about dogfighting being a dead end. Our on-the-street programs teach at-risk kids that pit bulls are friends, not fighters. I wanted to share with you my blog which I've just posted today which elaborates on my thinking.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

http://www.examiner.com/x-2113-Phoenix-Pet-News-Examiner~y2009m5d20-Michael-Vick-now-working-with-the-HSUS

GG, I got the same email too. I would have preferred Wayne to not have sent it, because it makes me think he's going to allow this loser to have a platform at some point to get himself into the good graces of society once again. Something he does not deserve.

Golden Girls
May 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM
You know I seen him on the news and seriously could not look at him, I shiver at the sight of him. I don't think there should be any place for him anywhere much less trying to educate ...

He should just crawl under a rock somewhere

ancientgirl
May 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
The only purpose he serves is to educate kids on how to NOT be like him.

kandy
May 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
I also got that email - and I went to the blog and entered a comment. It won't be posted unless it's approved, but basically I said that Mr. Vick is not remorseful about anything other than getting caught and to allow him and his publicity team to use the HSUS as a platform to spread his lies for the purpose of getting back into the NFL is a mistake. What really irked me about that email is that it sounds like Mr. Vick is making the excuse that he got involved in dogfighting because of his upbringing. Puhleez!!!!! Many, many people are raised in horrid conditions, violent households, etc - there comes a time when you have to choose what your ethics and values will be - you choose to either rise above it or continue the cycle. He chose to embrace dogfighting. He could have chosen to use his wealth for some productive purpose but instead he used it to build a bigger dogfighting operation. The only thing he's sincere about is wanting his multi million dollar career back - he doesn't give a rats behind about the dogs or about the HSUS. :frustrated: :mad: :wall:

chico2
May 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Kandy,you are so right,that the Humane Society would even consider MV for anything goes against anything they should stand for.

GG,you are right,some people would maybe consider MV attractive,but to me all that's missing on his head are the horns:evil: