Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to go about taking care of problem I probably caused myself!

krdahmer
August 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Being the big hearted mush that I am....
When we moved into our apartment last December I noticed two young kittens eating out of the garbage. I went out and purchased a garbage bin and started putting out a small amount of cat food. Now of course they visit around the same time every day, and one has since had kittens (about 4 weeks ago). I have not been able to figure out where they come from by watching them to figure out where to look for possible owners or the kittens. Is it wrong to go door to door in the neighbourhood to see if anyone owns them? I was also thinking of making and delivering flyers with the pictures I have taken of them. They are darling little cats, but very affraid of people. I will put the pics up here as well. I would call the local Humane Society but do not have much faith in them and am worried that they may catch the Mamma and The Little Guy, and not bother to find the kittens. I know that I am the cause of this and that once an animal is tamed like I have done with the food they are my responsibility, I am just affraid that I may have started my very own feral population or at least added to it.
If anyone has any advice or possible solutions, I am listening. Just please no preaching, I know it's my fault and am looking to right it! :o
I live in Niagara Falls near the Hospital so if you recognize these little ones, please contact me through here. :)

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I know that I am the cause of this and that once an animal is tamed like I have done with the food they are my responsibility, I am just affraid that I may have started my very own feral population or at least added to it.

No need to preach.;)

You must trap these cats and get them spayed and neutered. If you don't, you will have a hundred cats outside your home. They will also be out there having litters in the dead of winter, and suffering incredibly.

You can get humane traps (rent or borrow) and trap them.The kittens can be tamed and rehomed. If there is no adequate shelter for the adults outside, they cannot be left out there. The Humane society will euthanize adult feral cats.

Go to Google and type in - Ontario cat rescues - and contact them. They may willing to help you with the kittens and the adults as well!! IF the adult cats have no other option, you can ask a rescue for plans to built a simple feral cat shelter. If the cats are spayed and neutered and have shelter you can just continue to feed them.