Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Son and fiance have a new dog

Luvmypitgirls
May 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM
We have a new "grand~dog", Aries is his name. Aries is a 4 month old Boxer/Pit cross.

Aries, was actually a roommates dog, a roommate who has done absolutely nothing with this dog. He hasn't walked him, rarely picks up the poop, doesn't spend time with him, complains about him more often than not.
My son and his fiance, and their other roommate, have been taking care of him, mostly my son since he's home on medical leave. His fiance walks him daily as my son can't walk very far at the moment.

I don't understand why someone would pay 600.00 for a dog, only to ignore it and shirk all responsibility for it. I just can't wrap my brain around it. To top it off he's allergic to dogs and cats.

My son has told me that he kind of had the hots for the "BYB" he bought the dog from and was hoping that by buying one of her pups, he'd make an impression on her...:rolleyes: yeah great reason for buying a dog eh:frustrated:

They have told him that they are taking the dog, since they are the ones training him and caring for him. However, they are insisting that he pay for the neutering and his last shots.
My husband cut his nails, since they had yet to be done:frustrated: even tho our son and his fiance have repeatedly told him to get it done, they just moved into the new house and the pup has already damaged the hardwood floors, no fault of his own of course.

They have nagged about the dog poop building up in the yard, which isn't very big, our son finally went out and did it, crutches and all.

Aries, is an intellegent dog, very sweet but has yet to experience any socialization, which is going to change this weekend when I take Jersey over there to meet him and then I'll introduce him to Kato and then Abby. Once they've met a few times I will bring Aries over for playdates.

When I asked them if they are really wanting the responsibility they told me that they are afraid of what would happen to him if they didn't take him over, so they are willing to take him on to ensure he's treated and trained right, they have fallen in love with him and couldn't bare anything to happen to him.

Going to take some pics of him this weekend, so I can post them for you to see my new grandbabydog :D
Can't wait to babysit him when my son and his fiance go to Vegas this summer for a soccer tourney.

Iggette
May 1st, 2009, 07:43 AM
Oh I just love grandchildren of the furry kind. My daughter is waiting to have kids, so their dog Dexter is my grandbaby...lol:thumbs up

Here is a pic he just had his bath

Sylvie
May 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Well it looks like Aires is going to have a good home afterall. Sounds like your son learned a lot from you. You must be proud.

Iggette looks like your furry grandchild is a sweety.

Luvmypitgirls
May 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Oh I just love grandchildren of the furry kind. My daughter is waiting to have kids, so their dog Dexter is my grandbaby...lol:thumbs up

Here is a pic he just had his bath

Iggette, Dexter is adorable!:D I have another grand~dog Mac, he belongs to my middle son, I babysit him daily while my son is at work, I love having him around, even tho he drives me nuts half the time:D

Well it looks like Aires is going to have a good home afterall. Sounds like your son learned a lot from you. You must be proud.

Yes I am proud of him, because I know he didn't want a dog right now, with recovering from surgery and planning a wedding and the fact that they want to do some travelling this year before they have kids. I am proud of him for realizing that Aries needs "reliable and responsible" people to help him reach his potential, and the fact that he worries about what would happen to Aries if they didn't step in.
I have offered to babysit Aries when they travel, or if they want to go out for the evening or over night, that way they don't have to worry about him.
I have also offered to do some recall work with him, since my son has limited mobility at the moment and his fiance works full time, then once he's able he can take over.

mollywog
May 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Luvmypit- good for your son for taking this dog in when someone had already given up on it. Hopefully it hasn't developed too many bad habits so far with that @$$ :wall: of a first owner. And $600 for a mutt!? Don't even get me started on that!
Your son obviously has a big heart like you. Can't wait to see pics and hear how the first meeting goes. :thumbs up
My parents have 3 GDs (granddoggers), plus their own dog. They love their GD's and spoil them to no end!!! Molly LOVES her visits to gramma and grampas house!!! :laughing: :lovestruck:

MommaKat
May 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
LMP It sounds like you have a wonderful family. I am so glad that Aries will have a happy ending.

Oh and :offtopic: Grats on 1000 Posts :D :crazy:

ancientgirl
May 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
LMPG, you brought up a good kid there! I can't wait to see Aries!

Luvmypitgirls
May 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM
LMP It sounds like you have a wonderful family. I am so glad that Aries will have a happy ending.

Oh and :offtopic: Grats on 1000 Posts :D :crazy:

Huh? me? I have a thousand posts? Are you sure?
Ohhh, "go me..go me..go me":whistle:

:thankyou: for bringing it to my attention:D