Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it safe for dogs to be swimming in extremely cold lake water?

MissyMouse
April 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
My dog loves to swim. She even swam in the river in the middle of winter. I try to discourage her. Is it safe, it does not seem to bother her. She was in lake again. Some lady gave me a lecture but I figured if the water was too cold she would get out.

She is chocolate lab crossed with a wired terrier. She has web feet.:goodvibes::goodvibes::confused:

Jim Hall
April 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
i have no clue on that you would think it would be uncomfortable does she seem ok after , no signs of being cold? my lab used to swim in prettty cold water a lot too

this is another one for the " a lab will do anythng " file

MissyMouse
April 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
In the summer she stays in the water for hours, there is a Beaver she like to bug it is quite the site. The beaver bring sticks across the lake and My dogs brings them back to shore.

Right now she swims for a short period of time. I threw a stick in the water after she started bugging me too. When she wants to quit she usually hides the stick.

She went through the ice when she was a puppy, I thought she was a goner but she popped out of the ice and ran and ran and ran.
She was fine even after that. I avoid the ice but now she at least comes towards me when I call her back then she run the other way.

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
A dog can get hypothermic just like people can, so letting her swim in very cold water can be dangerous. And ice is a hazard that should always be avoided.

Even after the ice is out, the water can be too cold. I've known a couple of labradors that have sprained their tails swimming in too cold water. Although it's not a life-threatening condition, it is extremely painful for the dog and can take weeks to heal. For some reason, the sprains seem to occur more often in cold water :shrug:

mummummum
May 4th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Ya gotta love dogs....Bridie does the same thing. Just dives right in no matter the ice flows threatening to swap her completely.

It's up to us to provide guidance.

In addition to Hazel's wisdom, I will add "complete heart stop". Not a medical term, but one we all can understand. Immersion in sub-zero temps can cause this, SNAP ~ just like that.

With that said, Bridie is now nine and has welcomed Spring every year in this way. But now she picks and chooses how far she'll go out.

Fortuitously, my throwing arm will never be twenty again.