Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost my mother yesterday

Dog Dancer
April 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I had a call from my sister on Monday that my mother in Toronto was not doing well. While she had been recently diagnosed with lung cancer, a new issue had developed with stomach bleeding that they were unable to control. My son and I flew to Toronto on Monday night and arrived Tuesday morning. Mom suffered catastrophic drops in her blood pressure due to loss of blood and in the process sustained organ damage. On Tuesday night her organs began to shut down. She was on a respirator the entire time we were there, and heavily sedated and non responsive, but I do believe from her breathing pattern that she knew when my son and I got there and spoke to her. Her breathing just seemed to change a bit like she knew.

Tuesday night the family gathered and saw her again and we each told her how much we loved her and gave her our blessings to let go. She had fought hard for five days and even if she had pulled through this she would have had to face the cancer fight. We were ready to let her go peacefully and with her dignity. Two hours later she was gone.

It was terribly sad and yet relieving that she wouldn't have to do battle again. We are still in Toronto right now until the weekend. I really need to go home soon and hug my husband and the furbabies. I am however so grateful that my son came to Toronto with me. Glad that he got to see his grandmother one last time and so thankful for all the moral support he gives to me. He is my rock. This closes a chapter in my life as I lost my father when I was very young and now my mother is gone too. It's a very sad time for our family.

Thank you all for the prayers and support you offered me when I told you my mom was ill. God speed now Mom - I love you.

Chris21711
April 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
So Sorry to hear the news Dog Dancer...you know we all hoped for a better outcome for your Mum :sad:.

bendyfoot
April 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
my condolences to your family :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
April 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks so much Chris and Bendyfoot. This is not how we expected this to happen, and much sooner than we had thought. I'm just grateful like I said that I got to see her before she was gone. She really went fast and with all the other scenarios available she didn't suffer much at all. Family is staying strong together. Thanks. Please don't mind if I'm not too responsive on here, I'm not online much right now, I won't be home until next week.

BenMax
April 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
My deepest sympathies Dog Dancer. Please know that I am thinking of you and your family.

Peace to you all.:grouphug:

14+kitties
April 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Dog Dancer, I am so sorry for your loss. It hits hard as my mother passed less than a year ago of the same thing. I also lost my father at a young(er) age. :grouphug: I know how painful it is. Please know she is at peace. Not suffering. If she had to go faster than expected it means someone needed her more than we did on earth. The pain will get better. It never entirely goes away, but it does get better.
Please, take care of you. Your mom would want that. :grouphug:

rainbow
April 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Dog Dancer, I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. :grouphug: I'm glad that you and your son got to see her before she passed and I'm sure she knew you were there. :grouphug:

My deepest condolences to you and your family. :grouphug: :candle:

God looked around his garden
And He found an empty place.
And then He looked down upon the earth,
And saw your tired face.

He put His arms around you,
And lifted you to rest.
God's garden must be beautiful,
He always takes the best.

He knew that you were suffering,
He knew you were in pain,
He knew that you would never
Get well on earth again.

He saw the road was getting rough,
And the hills were hard to climb,
So He closed your weary eyelids,
And whispered"Peace be thine."

It broke our hearts to lose you .
But you didn't go alone,
For part of us went with you,
The day God called you home.

Anonymous

cpietra16
April 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Dog Dancer, My condolences to you and your family. I'm so sorry.:sad:

TacoGrl
April 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
:grouphug:

You will always cherish the fact that you got to say goodbye...it is so hard when you don't get to, but no matter how prepared you are, it is still so painful. I am sorry you are going through this and my prayers are with you.

Melinda
April 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM
*huge huggers* I'm here when you need me DD

Winston
April 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
DogDancer my heart goes out to you and your family! Your cyber family here will be thinking of you and we are always here! I am so happy for you that you were able to say goodbye! I never did with my father and wish I could have!

Hugs MF

Cindy
:candle:

chico2
April 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Dog-Dancer,I am so sorry,losing my mom when she was only 53 years old,half a world away, was very difficult for me and at times still is:sad:
Take comfort in knowing her passing was a peaceful one,surrounded by her family.
My condolences to you and your family:grouphug:

onster
April 30th, 2009, 05:36 PM
DogDancer, my deepest condelences. I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Love4himies
April 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your mother, please give your family a hug for me. :grouphug:

dmc123
April 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I also, am so sorry about the loss of your mom. I lost mine in 1982, when I was just 20. There is never a good time, but I am glad you were able to tell her goodbye.

Diane

Magicwildwolf69
April 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
i am so sorry for you lost. i haven't lost any of my parents yet but i can't imagine the pain. my thoughts and prayers and heartfelt wishes are with your family. Take care and have a safe trip home :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

RolandsMom
April 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: Im so sorry for your loss.

joeysmama
April 30th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I am so sorry ! I feel sad for you. The loss of a parent is a difficult and painful thing. My condolences to you and your family.:grouphug:

luckypenny
April 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
My sincerest sympathies to you and your family, Dog Dancer :grouphug:.

angeldogs
April 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
My deepest condolences to you and your family.:grouphug:

Luvmypitgirls
April 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
DogDancer,

My sincere condolences to you and your family for the loss of your Mother.
:2huggers:

pbpatti
April 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I am so sad to hear of the loss of your parent your Mother, this will probably be a difficult journey that you are on but know that the pain does ease. I was telling a friend today about the death of my DH and told her that the pain does not go away and is not easy but it truly does ease. GB Patti

Frenchy
April 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I am so sorry Dog Dancer :sad:

:grouphug:

TeriM
April 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm so sorry :sad:.

Lots of hugs for you and your family :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:.

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm so sorry you didn't have more time, Dog Dancer, but I'm glad you got to say your goodbyes. :grouphug: My condolences to you and your family.

Dee-O-Gee
April 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
So very sorry to hear of your loss Dog Dancer. Thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. :pray:

Iggette
May 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Dog Dancer My condolences to you and your family . :grouphug:
You are very blessed in having the chance to say your goodbyes and your Mother very blessed as well for having her loved ones with her at her time of need to help make her passing a peacful one :angel:

Sylvie
May 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family:grouphug:

breeze
May 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM
My condolences to you and your family Dog Dancer.

may the candle shine bright and true :candle:

:grouphug::grouphug:

clm
May 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. :candle:

Cindy

WantingToLearn
May 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
DogDancer, I am so sorry about your mum and your family's loss. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

Take gentle care.

WTL

ancientgirl
May 2nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Dog Dancer, I'm so very sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies. Loosing a parent is such a difficult thing to go through. Take comfort in knowing she is no longer suffering with her sickness.

marko
May 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
My Sincere condolences as well :candle:

Dog Dancer
May 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Thank you all for your kind words of condolence. I have passed them on to my family. I am back home now, at last. It was a very long week away. I have to say though that it was nice to have my cyber family supporting me. It was strange being away from home at a time like this and not having the usual support network of friends you generally rely on. My sister lives in Toronto and had her friends there, but my son and I were sort of without a support net other than our immediate family. So rest assured your words were heart warming for sure. Now I am home and I really really need some sleep and to unwind. Stayed home from work for one more day today, but tomorrow I must return. Just as well. Anyhow, we are at peace with my mother's passing. It was the best for her. Thanks again. Love to you all.

Golden Girls
May 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
My condolences to you Dog Dancer and your family, I'm so sorry :candle:

Romeo's #1 Fan
May 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'm new here, and wanted to extend my condolences for your loss. I was with my mom when she passed away six years ago, and when all was said and done, I held the thought with me that she was not alone - I still do. It's very comforting. All the best to you and your family.

Dog Dancer
May 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thank you all, we're at peace with her passing. It was best for her, maybe not us, but definitely for her.:grouphug:

BusterBoo
May 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
:sorry: Dog Dancer......it's a tough time to go through, my Mom left us in 2007 and I still miss her all the time.

:pray: to you and your family during this difficult time... take the time on Mother's Day to think of the many good times you had with your Mom and then do something special for yourself....you know she would have wanted you to... :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
May 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thank you Buster Boo. I know Mothers Day will be tough. But to all of you out there who sit on the fence about it, may I suggest if you are healthy and able consider donating blood. My mother was receiving about 20 units of blood a day in the hospital, and if it wasn't for the wonderful people who donate she would not have been alive when I got there. I have asked my son and his girlfriend to do this in memory of his grandma. They don't want my blood anymore sadly, although I used to donate regularly.