Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Corporate run!

ancientgirl
April 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I've been walking on Saturdays with my friend Lisa. She works for a large company that does a corporate run every year and she talked me into doing it with her.

Now, we aren't running, we're just walking it, but I have to say I'm super nervous about it!

I'm nervous about not being able to get through even half the course, and I'm even more nervous about being around such a huge group of people! Several times this week I've just been so close to telling her to do it with her hubby, but I've stopped myself. LOL, right now I'm really hoping I don't get any blisters.

bendyfoot
April 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
How long is the run/walk? When is the event? :D

ancientgirl
April 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
It's tonight!:eek: My friend told me it's only about 3 miles.

Love4himies
April 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Just make sure you have runners that fit your feet, very, very important.

Try doing a dry run of the course, sometimes that can set your mind at ease. Also remember, fear of the unkown can really play with your brain. Relax, prepare for it, and you will do great. When you are done, then you can give yourself a pat on the back for accomplishing it. Who knows, this could be the beginning of a marathon career for you.

Love4himies
April 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
It's tonight!:eek: My friend told me it's only about 3 miles.

:eek: So no time to prepare or shop.

OK then, bring water, wear bandaids where you think you may get blisters (I know somebody who uses duct tape for her long runs (50km).

While you are walking think of positive things, keep the conversation going and enjoy the scenery. Plan your weekend, just keep your mind occupied (not with negative thoughts though) and it will be done in no time.

bendyfoot
April 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM
yep, water, comfy good-fitting shoes and comfy clothes. You'll be great! Don't be afraid to stop a few times along the way for a quick calf/hamstring/quad stretch...even a minute every mile or so will make your legs happy!

ancientgirl
April 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
L4H, I like the duct tape idea. I have some at home so I think I'll do that. The beginning of a marathon career? Maybe not, but I have been thinking it would be nice to do more of these shorter type deals. :D

Bendy, I will certainly be stopping! LOL.

Lisa told me they'd have stuff there. Water, power bars, freebie stuff, so I'll have to check that out before the whole thing starts. I have to meet her at her job at 4:30. She has a t-shirt for me. Oh, I should take my camera! We'll get on a bus that will take us to the location. They have a tent where they will have some stuff for us, and even food for after wards. I probably won't be home until late, but it does have the potential to be fun.

I know once I actually get going I'll be okay. It's just the time leading up to the event that makes me a ball of nerves.:frustrated: I took my pill earlier so hopefully it will have kicked in by the time I leave here.:laughing:

Love4himies
April 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
It has great potential! Walking is a great stress reliever and yes, it can lead to more intense exercises.

I started out biking after spraining my ankle, doing a 15 km loop last year, now am biking 40km to work and am thinking about entering a relay team for this year's triathlon. Think positive and you will do and feel great! I guarantee you.

Love4himies
April 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I know once I actually get going I'll be okay. It's just the time leading up to the event that makes me a ball of nerves.:frustrated: I took my pill earlier so hopefully it will have kicked in by the time I leave here.:laughing:

That's right, it is the fear of the unknown. Have a great time.

breeze
April 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
you'll do great!!!!

comfy shoes good socks (I always bring an extra pair)

don't worry....:grouphug::goodvibes: and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Hall
April 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
you might meet a cute guy !!!:thumbs up:loser::loser:

Love4himies
May 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
How did it go?

ancientgirl
May 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
It went very well! My friend and I made it through in under an hour. I think it was a 5 mile course.

There were a couple of times where I didn't think I was going to make it. I really didn't think I was. I had water and when I felt my body starting to drag, I drank water. There were two bridges, small but they seemed like Mt. Evarist to me! The second bridge my friend had to pull me up. :laughing: I was so tired!

But when we were about 50 feet from the finish, I sprinted. LOL I said, "I'm not going to be the last one dammit!"

My feet were killing me though, but oddly enough I actually feel pretty good today.

All in all, I'm really glad I did it. I'm proud of myself that I accomplished this.

Love4himies
May 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
WAHOO!! I knew you could do it, give yourself a big pat on the back.

As for the feeling good, exercise is an addiction. I believe it releases endorhpines in the brain for the "feel good" feeling. I can't go a day without my exercise.

Sooooooooo, now that you know you can do it, get some good shoes and continue on, I guarantee you will not regret it and will feel so much better!

breeze
May 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
WOOOO HOOOOO

:grouphug: for you for finishing the run.. I knew you could do it..:highfive::highfive:

Jim Hall
May 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
you meet any nice guys?:D

Love4himies
May 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
you meet any nice guys?:D

Jim, you're bad :crazy::laughing:

Jim Hall
May 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
who me?? hey ag said she was looking what better way ?

glad you finished ag and that bridge couldnt have been to bad its floraida its flat really flat flat as a sat on hat

bendyfoot
May 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
:party::party::party:

Yay! Congrats! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
May 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone.

My friend said I needed some really good walking shoes, and she's right. I'll have to look into that. For now though, the ones I have should be okay for a bit.

No Jim, I didn't meet any guys. LOL.

Lisa and I have been walking on Saturdays. She drops her kids off at Karate, and we meet at this little part down the street. I'd like to go out a couple of times a week after work and just walk myself. I keep saying I'll start when I get that pet stroller, but I can't wait on that. It's just another excuse to not start.