Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is My dog Drinking Too Much Water?

Buck44
April 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I got a male Golden Retriever about a month ago, he's 11 moths old. He's big now, (85 lbs), and the vet says he's going to get bigger. He's real strong and healthy. We go hiking in the woods every day and take another walk every evening, so he's plenty active.

Question: He drinks at least a gallon of water daily. I have a 2 gallon bucket in the kitchen and he stop by and drinks a lot - a gallon or more per day. Is this normal?

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the board, Buck44! :D

So is your dog urinating excessively? Having accidents in the house? Or getting you up in the middle of the night to take him outside?

If he's not, it might just be that as active as he is, he needs more water than normal. I've heard that a 50-pound dog can require up to 10 cups of water a day, so I guess a gallon for an 85-pounder might be about right. :shrug:

If you're uneasy about it, talk to the vet about it--simple tests to rule out things like diabetes might do a lot to set your mind at ease.

mummummum
May 4th, 2009, 02:48 AM
A gallon is about 3 3/4 litres for us Canucks.

This doesn't sound unusual for an active, young and healthy 85 lb dog. But, I do stress active. I'm sure you've noticed that when a long-jawed dog, like a Golden, drinks AND is VERY thirsty most of the drinking goes to slop. Hence the puddle around the "bucket" :D

Have you considered bringing water and a portable bowl for him on your walks? With all the gear that's out there today, he can carry it himself.

Also, if you are feeding him only kibble, this is drying to his system and he will always be thirstier than dogs who are fed a raw diet.