Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A pleasant experience.

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I awoke this morning to find there was no coffee in the house, so I made myself look as human as possible and whipped off to Walmart.
My regular brand Folgers, was almost 8.00!:eek: Nope refuse to pay that when two weeks ago I bought Folgers for 4.49 /can. So I grabbed a Maxwell House, never had it before, so I hope it's good.
I was going just for a can of coffee, yep, three packs of socks (with pink details so my hubby and kids don't steal em), two pkgs of boyshort undies, 1 pkg of Zantac and a pkg of 30 plastic hangers later, I'm on my way home.

As I was walking to my vehicle I see a man putting a dog into his back seat, I could hear him talking to his dog, "I love ya Rupert, now sit, you can't come in the store with me". I look over and out of the door pops this huge white head with a brindle patch over his eye. I smile, at the face staring back at me, and the guy says, "don't worry he's friendly, too friendly".
I ask him if I can approach to see his dog and he welcomes me. As I'm walking towards him the big head pops out again, and I laugh, I say " Hey there you big Pitboy!" The guy gives me a look and smiles.
He tells me how most ppl avoid his dog, and I inform him that I have three Pits and a Rottie at home.
Rupert, the Pit stole my heart, omg what a big handsome guy he is. He licked my face and tried to climb up on me, his owner was quick to correct.
As it turns out, he and his wife sold almost everything they had, packed up the rest and moved out here from Ontario a few months ago. Apparently, where he lived, Animal Control kept trying to apprehend his dog. He said he was constantly harassed and watched. At one point a bogus attack complaint was made against him, his dog was apprehended, however he could prove it wasn't his dog, as his dog was at a kennel, while he and his wife were on vacation.His dog was returned thankfully. They had enough and decided to move out here.
He smiled and told me that they made one more stop as they were leaving Ontario, a truck stop, where he ventured to the garbage can and threw away Ruperts muzzle and promised him that he would never have to wear it again.
They just recently moved to my town, so I gave him our phone number, Rupert has no dog aggression issues, so I've suggested that maybe he and his wife could bring Rupert over for a play date.:D
He thanked me would love for the four of us and our dogs to get together.

of course I didn't mention that my ulterior motive is to dognap Rupert ;)

Chris21711
April 28th, 2009, 11:22 AM
That is so sweet LMPG, it brought a lump to my throat, thinking the lengths some people will go to for their beloved pet.

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Wow, if only more people were like him. I hope he calls you. I'd love to see some pictures of Rupert.

rainbow
April 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Kudos to the guy and his wife :highfive: ....what a wonderful heartwarming story. :cloud9:

Looking forward to an update (with lots of pics of course) when they all come to visit. :goodvibes:

Btw, I buy Folgers or Maxwell House whichever one is on sale and they're both good.

Love4himies
April 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Awww Rupert sounds like Tigger a pit I met a few months back. Couldn't get enough licks in, and yes, she thought she was a lap dog :laughing:

angeldogs
April 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Know that is the best kind of story to read.a man telling his dog he loves him,and meets a stranger who wants to kidnaphis dog starting with the play date.the best part was the throwing of the muzzle in the garbage just because of it's breed

Just remember to get pics of this big ole love bug if you do have a play date.

14+kitties
April 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Gee thanks LMPG! I needed a good minicry. Relieves the stress of life y'know.
Thanks for sharing your story. Thanks for being you too!! It's amazing that they would pick up home and move for love of Rupert! Wonderful!!

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Kudos to the guy and his wife :highfive: ....what a wonderful heartwarming story. :cloud9:

Looking forward to an update (with lots of pics of course) when they all come to visit. :goodvibes:

Btw, I buy Folgers or Maxwell House whichever one is on sale and they're both good.

Thank you for the thumbs up on Maxwell House, I haven't made any yet, went to Timmy's and then Starbucks ...lol...I'm an addict:o

Awww Rupert sounds like Tigger a pit I met a few months back. Couldn't get enough licks in, and yes, she thought she was a lap dog :laughing:
I would've gladly stood there for hours getting Rupert kisses.:D

Know that is the best kind of story to read.a man telling his dog he loves him,and meets a stranger who wants to kidnaphis dog starting with the play date.the best part was the throwing of the muzzle in the garbage just because of it's breed

Just remember to get pics of this big ole love bug if you do have a play date.

To be honest I was fightin' back the tears and the urge to grab this man and give him a big ole bear hug.

Gee thanks LMPG! I needed a good minicry. Relieves the stress of life y'know.
Thanks for sharing your story. Thanks for being you too!! It's amazing that they would pick up home and move for love of Rupert! Wonderful!!

I agree 14+, that is a very big sacrifice to make, pack up and move away for the love their dog. All their family and friends are back East. I really do hope he'll call, hubby and I always have room for more friends:D I would like to meet his wife and get to know them, anyone that makes that kind of sacrifice for their pet is someone I couldn't help but like:D

Furthermore, sorry this reply is so long, but I thought I would add, I went back out, this time to SuperStore for cleaning supplies and crappy tire for a mop. On my way home I passed a salon, thought perhaps I would pop in just get a trim, uh huh, that didn't happen either I ended up at the last second saying to the stylist, "take it off, take it all off", I now have very short hair, it's called a "boy~cut". My husband is going to freak when he sees my head.
It is way short, I mean short short short! Did I say super short? :laughing:

I also stopped at Pet Planet, and bought myself a new Pooper Scooper!:D This one is awesome, it has a big pan and a rake. I saved the little pusher from the other one I had just incase, did my dog poop in record time!:D

Kind of a surprise for hubby, to distract him from my head.:laughing:

angeldogs
April 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Giving him a big hug wouldn't have been a bad thing i think.the world sure could use alot of that this day in age.

And a reminder to remember pics if you see the boy again.

onster
April 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
awwww what a pleasant story indeed. Heartwarming.

I hope he does call you and there's a playdate arranged. And you snap pics of course :D

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
awwww what a pleasant story indeed. Heartwarming.

I hope he does call you and there's a playdate arranged. And you snap pics of course :D

I was kinda hoping I would've heard from them this evening..:sad:
Oh well, hopefully he'll call and if he does and we can get together I promise to take lots of pics. I'm sure Abby will fall in love with Rupert, she'll want pics of him on the walls of her crate!;)

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Oh, I hope they call to arrange a meet-and-greet! What a great story, LMP!

:goodvibes: that you hear from them soon and get lots of pics! :D

growler~GateKeeper
April 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
What a wonderful story :D

rainbow
April 29th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Hopefully he will call soon :fingerscr ...they sound like such an awesome couple to befriend. :goodvibes:

And, I'm surprised no one else requested pics of your new hairdo so let me be the first. :D

CearaQC
April 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Is the man retired or still working?

And that was a very nice story. You probably made his day and he was smiling all day! :D

People are afraid of pits just like they are afraid of terrorists. And that's because the media hypes everything and promotes fear.

Personally I've never, ever seen a mean pitbull, or a mean Rottie. I know someone who has a Rottie locally and she's a nice dog.

Oh and we always drink Maxwell house. :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
April 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Is the man retired or still working?

And that was a very nice story. You probably made his day and he was smiling all day! :D

People are afraid of pits just like they are afraid of terrorists. And that's because the media hypes everything and promotes fear.

Personally I've never, ever seen a mean pitbull, or a mean Rottie. I know someone who has a Rottie locally and she's a nice dog.

Oh and we always drink Maxwell house. :thumbs up

I made Maxwell House this morning, holy moly :eek: I think I made it too strong, my machine calls for 8 scoops of coffee per 14 cups, I think with the MH I will have to cut it back to 6. It's tasty tho, I'll give it that, infact it may become my regular brand now.:D

I agree with you the media has demonized the Pitbull, even when there is an attack and no Pit involved they report it as a Pit attack or Pit like dog...ummm like the Boxer/Pointer attack, please someone explain to me how that is a Pit like dog? :laughing:
Then there's the Preso attack, again called a Pitbull like dog, ummm sorry wrong again, that's a Mastiff not a Pit.
I'm more afraid of the media than I am of terrorists :rolleyes:..:laughing:

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I think the media is becoming a sort of passive aggressive terrorist group in themselves.

Luvmypitgirls
April 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I think the media is becoming a sort of passive aggressive terrorist group in themselves.

AMEN AG, couldn't have said it better myself!:highfive:

Luvmypitgirls
April 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hopefully he will call soon :fingerscr ...they sound like such an awesome couple to befriend. :goodvibes:

And, I'm surprised no one else requested pics of your new hairdo so let me be the first. :D

Ohh rainbow, I am not photogenic whatsoever :o...but I'll ask hubby to try and take a pic that won't scare the beejeepers outta everyone. Probably won't be until tomorrow tho, cuz he works the late shift today and won't get up until almost noon..(:frustrated: lazy *&^%$% that he is, I've been up since 6, have done 3 loads of laundry and washed my floors and got kid off to school)

That way I'll also have time to "put on my face"...won't have a pic taken without plastering my face in makeup first:laughing:...I think it lessens the fear factor:laughing:

krdahmer
April 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Aw now that's a good morning pick me up! What a sweet man!:lovestruck:

And as for the coffee.... I loooove Maxwell House, I have a big plastic jug of the decaf, but to make 12 cups, I only use two of those scoops they give you, about 4-5 tablespoons.... 8 scoops would be more like espresso!!! :eek::laughing:

Luvmypitgirls
April 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Aw now that's a good morning pick me up! What a sweet man!:lovestruck:

And as for the coffee.... I loooove Maxwell House, I have a big plastic jug of the decaf, but to make 12 cups, I only use two of those scoops they give you, about 4-5 tablespoons.... 8 scoops would be more like espresso!!! :eek::laughing:

:laughing: @ like espresso....yep that's exactly what it was like!:laughing:

krdahmer
April 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Oh and not sure if you know this also... if you sprinkle a bit of salt into the coffee grinds before you brew it, it cuts the bitterness, makes the coffee taste smoother. (not sure it would make a difference to those 8 scoops though!:laughing:)

Luvmypitgirls
April 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Oh and not sure if you know this also... if you sprinkle a bit of salt into the coffee grinds before you brew it, it cuts the bitterness, makes the coffee taste smoother. (not sure it would make a difference to those 8 scoops though!:laughing:)

Seriously? Salt in the coffee, never heard that one before, but I will try it thanks:D Yes next pot I make I will decrease the scoops to 6 (my scoop is 1/2 tsp).

CearaQC
April 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, dash of salt in the coffee grounds before brewing improves it.

In my standard 12 cup drip coffee maker, I put only 3-4 level tablespoons (soup spoon from the cutlery drawer) grounds into the filter. Any more and it's like tar and undrinkable, especially if you're like me and pour loads of milk into it anyway. :laughing: And you can take the already ground coffee and grind it finer before brewing.

I know someone who uses a French Press and that coffee is NASTY. :laughing::crazy: Spoon almost stands up by itself in that brew.

Luvmypitgirls
April 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I know someone who uses a French Press and that coffee is NASTY. :laughing::crazy: Spoon almost stands up by itself in that brew.

:laughing:...sounds a bit like my brew this morning!

I just returned from doing a transport for the rescue, and on my way home I stopped at Starbucks, for a quick fix:D

ancientgirl
April 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
:laughing:...sounds a bit like my brew this morning!

I just returned from doing a transport for the rescue, and on my way home I stopped at Starbucks, for a quick fix:D

I love Starbucks! Venti soy Mocha latte! Venti chai soy Latte! My favorites!

Luvmypitgirls
April 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Still no contact..:shrug:
Maybe we'll hear from them over the weekend....maybe:shrug:

Hopefully....I wanna see Rupert again:o

angeldogs
April 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Still no contact..:shrug:
Maybe we'll hear from them over the weekend....maybe:shrug:

Hopefully....I wanna see Rupert again:o

Hopefully you do hear from him.will give Rupert 4 new friends in his new home town.