Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When should my baby be fixed...?

Princesss04
August 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM
How old does your puppy have to be to have him fixed. He has had Parvo so the vet has been waiting to do everything. He is going in in two days to get wormed and than his shots. But I was not sure about his being fixed. We went out of town this weekend and he tried (well) hupping my little cousin. So I am sure that means it is time. The vet when we took him for his last check up with the Parvo seemed to think he was 3 maybe 3 1/2 mts. old.

sammiec
August 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Princess, usually around 6 months is the best time to fix them. Your vet would be the best person to answer this since there is SOO much stuff going on with the litte guy!! I am so happy that things have worked out for you guys!!! He's a lucky little bugger!! :D

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Princesss, we know that YOU are responsible enough not to let your little guy run loose and impregnate females, so there isn't any big hurry to have him neutered.

As for the humping, sometimes even bitches do this. You just need to teach him "OFF" and not allow this behavior.:)

sammiec
August 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
As for the humping, sometimes even bitches do this. You just need to teach him "OFF" and not allow this behavior.:)
LOL, Briggs likes to hump boys all the time!! Dirty girl!!! :p

Spoiled
August 9th, 2004, 02:14 PM
If your dog is a small dog, then wait until six months. My vet wouldn't do it on Bentley because he hadn't grown enough for it to be safe. If your dog is larger then four months would be OK. You certainly don't want to risk adding to the population of unwanted pets.

Princesss04
August 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks I will talk to the vet when I take him in. It was so funny my little cousin was on all fours playing with my rats and the puppy jumped up on her and was going at in and I was like no and he stopped and she was like he is just playing with me!!! See he likes me and we all laughed so hard. But, that is the only time I have seen him do that. I was like well he is a typical male start feeling better and than want to get at it. LOL :eek: Thank you all once again I will let you know what the vet says.

glasslass
August 9th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I've seen puppies doing this when they couldn't possibly be sexually mature. I think I read somewhere on this forum that it's actually a dominance issue? I was babysitting Corky and Spunky this weekend. Wish I'd had my camera handy when Den-Den humped Spunky who was humping Corky - all neutered little boys! :p