Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another case of mistaken identity

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Couple days ago in Calgary, it was reported that a woman and her child were attacked on the street by a Pitbull that escaped it's yard.
Today, while covering the attack, it was suddenly a Boxer/Pointer cross.
There was no retraction, or correction. So people who heard about the attack, but don't put two and two together will still assume it was a Pitbull.:frustrated:

A few months ago, a mail carrier in Calgary, was attacked by a dog. It was of course reported as a Pitbull, turned out to be another Boxer cross. Once again no retraction, no correction.:frustrated:

Why can't a dog attack, be reported just as that, a "Dog attack", any dog is capable of it, and it would help prevent all these cases of mistaken identity, in which has done nothing but to further demonize "Pitbull" breeds.

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Oh btw, just a few weeks ago, a young couple were in the middle of a heated domestic situation, they had a young pit , who frightened by the situation, felt confused by it all, tried to intervene between his two owners.
According to the ppl involved they seen that he was getting agitated and confused and frightened, instead of calming down and removing the dog to a place where he could relax they continued their "melee" infront of him.
It got to the point where the dog felt he had to protect both his owners from each other, and with his excited intensity level nipped at their hands.

They called the police, the dog was apprehended and taken to animal control, where he continues to linger. His owners want him destroyed.

I have it by a reliable source that the head of Bylaw Control is trying with all his might to save this dog from being euthanized.

He like many others feel that this dog should be spared, because his actions were due to his owners direct and diliberate behaviours, even when they seen it upsetting the dog.

My rotti Kato, is very much the same way as this dog in question. We can under no circumstances "play wrestle" with our kids, my hubby cannot play wrestle with me either, otherwise Kato goes into protection mode, he gets very upset with any sign of violence between his people.

I hope this dog is saved, and shame on his people for not stopping their behavior when they knew perfectly well it was affecting their dog.

dustybird
April 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I totally agree with you, it shouldn't matter the breed or breedx, a dog attack is a dog attack. The media is such a powerful tool and sadly the only thing they do with that power is negative, hurtful and a times spitefull.

So many animals suffer and as far as I see it, it is all do to the actions of the human race.

The couple fighting are idiots and the poor dog was just trying in the only way he knew how, to stop their fighting. What does he get for his attempt to help....possible death. If a person had stepped in to stop the fight and reason with them through words, which an animal can't do. Maybe they would have stopped and worked out whatever they were fighting about. All they had to do was take their argument or whatever away from the dog. They obviously don't give a crap about the dog.

My father-inlaws dog gets very upset with what he's sees as violence. You can't wrestle around him either as he try's to break it up. No one gets upset with him, he has no other way of showing he doesn't like what your doing. Because we all know we don't goof around infront of him. It's weird though because kids can wrestle and goof around and he just sits there or barks if it starts to bother him but when it's adults he then feels the need to step in, it's like he knows kid are more delicate. He doesn't really try to nip either just grabs your clothes to pull you away from the other person.

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
He doesn't really try to nip either just grabs your clothes to pull you away from the other person.

That's what Kato does too, altho once or twice he did manage to give my hubby a pinch, but showed immediate remorse for it. We just don't play fight or wrestle infront of him, we either put him in our room or in a crate where he can't see us.

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Sadly, it isn't news to just say a dog attack. People are so misinformed. ANY dog that even looks like pit bull, in size or color is assumed to be one, especially if the dog attacks someone. As you said, it could be a boxer mix or a lab mix or any other dog or dog mix and people will say it was a pit bull. I doubt the public in general even KNOW what a pit bull actually looks like.

It isn't worth their time to retract something, because it will mean they didn't do THEIR research. Had they done so then they would have reported it from the beginning. Also, we "allege" someone is a murderer or burgler or beat someone up, but why isn't a it an "alleged" pit bull when you hear about it on the news?

Regarding that couple. This is another sad case of the HUMANS being too ignorant of their own pet. Our pets are very in tune with our emotions. They should have realized that their arguing was affecting their dog! I wonder if the dog had been a poodle or a Yorkie, would they also have taken it in and wanted it killed?

angeldogs
April 28th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Both mine here don't even like it when we even ruff house with each other or the kids.I agree they should have removed the dog from the situation before continuing to argue.

The news paper should be obligated to retract and correct the story.but to them the origional story is a better news story.

TacoGrl
April 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I think people forget their pets are still animals and animals have basic instincts when faced with basic situations. Animals can't speak English, so they do what they do to communicate.

As for the child...I am going to piss some off with this :rolleyes: however, I firmly believe not tooo many children are taught ANYTHING close to manners by their parents much less how to act around an animal (domestic or wild). The child may have been running up to the dog barking like he was annoyingly doing during the ENTIRE interview on Global :rolleyes: There have been others in the past I have thought need to learn how to act around animals too. Yes, it is sad the child and his mother got hurt, but the dog was probably scared and reacting the only way the UNTRAINED pup knew.

Why do people not realise the importance of training BEFORE bad things happen??? :wall:

It was nice to see the one lady on Global talking about training and about how animals react to people arguing...the others all seemed to gloss over the facts.

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think people forget their pets are still animals and animals have basic instincts when faced with basic situations. Animals can't speak English, so they do what they do to communicate.

As for the child...I am going to piss some off with this :rolleyes: however, I firmly believe not tooo many children are taught ANYTHING close to manners by their parents much less how to act around an animal (domestic or wild). The child may have been running up to the dog barking like he was annoyingly doing during the ENTIRE interview on Global :rolleyes: There have been others in the past I have thought need to learn how to act around animals too. Yes, it is sad the child and his mother got hurt, but the dog was probably scared and reacting the only way the UNTRAINED pup knew.

Why do people not realise the importance of training BEFORE bad things happen??? :wall:

It was nice to see the one lady on Global talking about training and about how animals react to people arguing...the others all seemed to gloss over the facts.

I agree, ppl should "train" their kids how to respect and treat animals properly.
Between the hours of 3-5 pm, I keep my dogs inside. Too many times I've caught kids teasing my dogs from the other side of the fence along the back lane. Sticks poked thru, rocks thrown over, kids pounding on fence boards.
I got to the point where I was going to go over the fence myself and kick some butt. I've tried to talk to them about their behaviour and how it's wrong to treat someone's animals that way , usually only to be given the one finger salute.:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I've tried to talk to them about their behaviour and how it's wrong to treat someone's animals that way , usually only to be given the one finger salute.:rolleyes:

And there you have the future morons of our world.

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
And there you have the future morons of our world.

Yes, scary isn't it!:sad:

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
It's scary and sad. I have to lay the blame on the parents. Sure there are bad kids, but most of the time kids are like that because the parents don't care enough to teach them any better.