Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just need to rant I guess

TopSecret
April 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
My JRT broke her pelvis last week. It is broken in several places and she is on meds and cage rest.

It's been 7 days now and she is doing really rather fine as far as I can tell. She eats (lots) and drinks and walks and goes to the bathroom.

It's much harder on me than it is on her I think. I have a wonderful husband who puts up with my emotional outbreaks and if he is home he'll give me the chance to go out and do something instead of worrying about the doggy. Not that there is a whole lot I can do that actually distracts me. But he also has to go to work and then it's just me and the pup (our big dog escapes outside as soon as we let him, poor guy)

I dunno what my problem is cos there are no signs of her feeling horrible or being in pain or being close to dying or what have you. Yet I get extremely worked up when she cleans herself or walks in her pen or outside.
Sometimes her bathroom times hurt... she had a big number 2 this morning which made her yelp and attack it afterward and that is also something that just gets me all upset.
Sometimes she gets all excited, panting, restless and I dunno why or how to figure out why. And because of that I get all upset and I start to worry and worry.

There is a part of me that would love to just drop her off with professionals and let them handle her until she is mostly healed up but then another part wants her to stay home cos well, it's always nicer to be at home around people you love and that love you. I feel bad for thinking stuff like that but I'm kinda overwhelmed and slightly exhausted from the emotional stress.

So I'm confused and emotionally upset and I have no experience whatsoever with dogs and broken bones which is a big part of me being a nervous wreck. I just wanna be there for her and make her feel alright so she has an easy time healing but I can't even convince myself that everything is good and it really sucks. It seems the better she gets, the more agile and willing to move around, the more nervous and freaked out I get.

*sigh*

/rant

bendyfoot
April 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I can relate a bit.

Although none of my dogs ever broke their pelvises (knocks on wood), one did get her forearm amputated.

I remember feeling very much like you sound right now. Most of the time during the recovery she seemed "ok", but it was hard not to imagine the worst. She also had pain at potty time, and it was horrible. She had complications, which meant lots of vet visits.

Even if things are going pretty well, when something big like that happens, it takes a huge emotional toll. We had a lot of sleepless nights, and a lot of tears, and a lot of worry during the weeks it took her to heal. I think what you're feeling is perfectly normal. And as far as leaving her with the vets, honestly, I think it's a WONDERFUL idea. We had to leave Jaida with them twice for a few days at a time for monitoring, and it was probably the best thing for everyone. We got a little mental health break, which made it easier for us to care for her better when she was back home, and she got round the clock care. It's win-win, really.

Is she on any pain meds right now?

As for the activity she wants to do, I think, within reason, you have to follow their lead and trust that they know their limitations. Obviously, if she's on crate rest as per vet's orders, then you need to follow that. But if she's ok moving around in her crate or taking a few steps unassisted during the potty break, then I think it's ok. Just hold your breath and be there to help if she stumbles, but remember that eventually she's going to be totally fine and back to normal and she's going to have to test her own abilities sooner or later.

The best advice I can offer is, if you have the opportunity to let someone else do some caregiving for a few days, take it. And also, do your best to keep your fears/worries in check around your dog; they're little emotion sponges and if you're freaked out, SHE's going to pick up on it and get upset too. Stay upbeat, light and happy with her, then lock yourself in a bedroom and have a big cry afterwards if you need to, but don't ever do it in front of her.

:grouphug:

TopSecret
April 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Is she on any pain meds right now?

Thanks so much for your reply.

She is getting metacam every morning as well as stool softener twice daily and she also has sedatives for the night. She managed to sleep with only half a tablet of sedatives last night which was nice.

She's alot calmer than she was yesterday which keeps me calm too. We'll see how long that lasts.

I'm still contemplating contacting the vet and asking about them taking her for a while but I know the hubby wouldn't be too happy about it and I would feel like I was abandoning her too but like you said, it would be nice to have that break and just for a couple of days not worry about her too much.

Gosh I dunno but I did appreciate the words... :)

bendyfoot
April 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
If she's on Metacam then she should be comfy. Was she ever sedated or under anaesthetic? sometimes that can make them feel really off/weird for a few days, sometimes even a few weeks as it gets out of their systems...it can make them pretty panty/moany/whiny/restless.

Don't worry about feeling guilty, that doesn't help anyone. She'll just be happy to see you when you come pick her up, and it will all be forgotten. I swear Jaida had forgotten her whole ordeal within weeks of the surgery...don't forget that dogs live in the present and don't hold grudges. :grouphug:

TopSecret
April 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
If she's on Metacam then she should be comfy. Was she ever sedated or under anaesthetic? sometimes that can make them feel really off/weird for a few days, sometimes even a few weeks as it gets out of their systems...it can make them pretty panty/moany/whiny/restless.

Yeah she was. She was hit on Monday night and due to the shock and trauma as well as the pain they couldn't get a proper x-ray. So they sedated her the next morning to get a good picture.
She also had a pain patch up until this weekend.

I'm just such a scaredy-cat when it comes to animals.

bendyfoot
April 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Ok, so with the sedation, the pain patch, and the metacam, she's going to be feeling weeeeiiirrd. Any noise, restlessness etc. right now is most likely really an anaesthetic hangover, not pain. She's going to be fine. :grouphug:

TopSecret
April 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I'm sure she will be fine.

I sure can't wait until we are done with this... or at least with the hard part which is keeping her quiet. She likes to bark when she hears the neighbour dogs (she sometimes even seems to prepare herself to get up and tell them herself *shakes head*) or any other commotion... Jack Russells alright.

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I know when my Abby had her leg amputated I felt so inadequate, was I doing enough to keep her comfy, was I giving her the right amount of meds, was the amount of meds correct in keeping the pain tolerable. Did I cuddle her enough, pamper her enough and so and so forth.
It's natural, you are stressed and worried because you love your lil JRT.
All I can suggest is to make sure you take some "ME" time, ie:long hot soak in a bubblebath, or anything else you enjoy that can help you relax a bit.
When your hubby offers to watch over her, let him, and take some time for yourself. Your pup will pick up on your stress and worry, so try to give yourself those moments where you can "de-stress".

Hope your pup has a complete and quick recovery, hugs to you, I will be keeping you in my thoughts.:)

Bina
April 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Caregiving is hard work, but all of a sudden they start to feel better....
Years ago my Labrador got a nasty slash from running into a lawn swing, she had some pain and lots of staples. She was freaking out with the cone on her head, so we took turns looking after her.
My husband, daughter, and I all took shifts, making sure that Cleo didn't touch her staples.
It was alot of work and sacrifices were made, but 10 days later our sweetie felt so much better.

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
We go through those same feelings every time one of ours has surgery, TopSecret! :o It's so easy to focus on immediate worries and sometimes it starts to feel like it's never going to end. But this, too, shall pass and recovery will be complete before you know it! :thumbs up

So breathe deep and hang in there, kiddo! :grouphug:

TopSecret
April 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Well I just dropped my little pup off at the vet.

She chewed the tip of her tail off last night... no idea when, just know she did. It's definitely missing it's tip, it's not just like she chewed on it til it bled, no... the tip is gone. So this morning even the hubby agreed to board her at the vet tho in general he isn't too psyched about it but oh well.

The vet was very impressed with her walking skills (so am I tho cos she is walking 98% normal, just very careful and well no jumping or running or anything crazy like that), not so much tho with what she did to herself.

So she'll be at the vet for a couple of days, they'll take care of the tail and her in general... I booked her in til Monday cos I wanted to have a check up then anyway but depending on how she is doing maybe she'll come home on the weekend. Like I've said numerous times before, she is doing really well considering the circumstances, it's just that she seems to feel the need to do alot more than she should that especially drives me insane. And it's only been a week and no matter how healthy of a dog we have, it's not enough time to give her back the freedom she wants.
We think that being in her square meter pen all day and only going out a couple of minutes a day is getting to her but that's no excuse to chew the tail off. She has to deal with it.

I hate to say it and I feel like a really bad doggy mom but I'm looking forward to some rather quiet days. I kinda feel sad and happy at the same time *sigh*.

I know she'll be fine, I'm gonna miss her tho, after all she's my little squishy :lovestruck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/psychobella/The%20new%20place/stinky.jpg