Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! At my wits end!

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
We've got mice...again.
I've tried those electronic thingys, I've set traps and I've sealed the holes around the kitchen sink plumbing where they seem to have nawed their way thru.

I'm just totally creeped out, there was mousie poop in my bedroom!:eek:

Is there any other way of getting rid of them, besides traps and poison, I can't do poison because of my pets, I won't take that risk. I don't like using traps either because Kato found one decided to lick the peanut butter, setting it off and having it snap on his tongue...poor boy.

So if anyone has any other ideas that won't be dangerous or painful to my pets I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
There are sticky traps--you bait them, the mouse goes in and sticks to the trap and dies. It's gruesome...the thought of something starving to death isn't pleasant...but it's safe around your pets and gets rid of the mice. :shrug:

sugarcatmom
April 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
The sticky traps horrify me. They use them where I work and it's one of the most gruesome forms of death for any living creature. It's not just about starving to death, there's the frantic attempt to get free of the glue, to the extent that skin is ripped off. Snap-traps are way kinder. Is there anywhere you can put them where none of the pups find them, like in a cupboard or something?

Another option is live-catching it/them using a deep bucket or garbage pail with peanut butter in the bottom. Put a staircase of books up to the edge of the bucket and a trail of bread crumbs leading the way. Mouse jumps in bucket but can't jump out. Cover and take it to a field somewhere and let it loose.

rainbow
April 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Can you put the traps in the kitchen and then block it off somehow so the dogs can't get in? :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
April 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Too bad leaving LeStat loose in the kitchen isn't an option....

:laughing:

:sorry: I couldn't help it :o

dustybird
April 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
There are live mouse traps, same idea as the live traps used for strays or racoons. My mom's office used them and we used them the one time we had a mouse problem at the vet clinic I worked at. We set them free in a field far away.

The little buggers can get through almost any small gap, crack or hole, if they can get their head through the rest of their little body just squishes through. I don't know any way of keeping them out other than finding where they're comming in, they are crafty.

This is the one we used, for the most part they work well and peanut butter seems to be the best bait. There is however the odd mouse the can trigger it to close before going inside, best to make sure it's on a level surface.

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5442112/name/traps_mouse_live_victor_2pk

This one seems interesting
http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5442845/name/trap_mouse_inn_sleepaway

Home Hardware seems to have the best selection....online anyway.

Melinda
April 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
did you find where they are getting in?? we used chalking at my daughters and went into each cupboard, each drawer (pulled them right out) and found all kinds of holes, they fit through dime size ones don't forget, she loaded her cupboards, floors etc with live traps, mice stick to following walls so always place the traps against the walls, once in they can't get out, take it out to a field and remove the cover....

CearaQC
April 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
There is a live trap thing that I saw in one of my gardening catalogs. It's a yellow plastic thing that looks like a piece of cheese, and it screws on a 2 litre plastic pop bottle.

You put bait into the bottle and the mice will go in but can't get out. And it's a tight comfy squeeze for them.

Find potential holes where they might be getting into your home and spray the can of spray foam into the holes. We had to do that this winter when a vole got into the house via a tiny hole. It was so funny when it was in the house and both dogs just looked at it running around and the cat couldn't even catch it, even though he tried!

I also caught one that was in my vacuum cleaner hose that I left out one day. I kept hearing scratching sounds and hubby thought I was hallucinating noises. :laughing:

Here's a picture of the trap. I can't remember who sells it but it was in a Canadian-based garden supply catalog from somewhere in the western parts, like Alberta or somewhere.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JEkCXyAUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

GavinB
April 27th, 2009, 11:30 AM
There are sticky traps--you bait them, the mouse goes in and sticks to the trap and dies. It's gruesome...the thought of something starving to death isn't pleasant...but it's safe around your pets and gets rid of the mice. :shrug:

The only way they'd starve to death is if you let them linger on the trap for a few days. Or take the trap with animal and throw it into the bin.

Do you?

Because that's certainly unnecessary. It is also why you're supposed to check them frequently. If you find a mouse stuck on a glue trap, just kill it and don't prolong its misery any further. I've always hated glue traps and I think they ought to be outlawed. And for the people who use them irresponsibly and in a very cruel manner, the less said about them the better. Starving an animal to death, as well as letting it tear itself apart/gnaw its limbs off is unacceptable. There are better ways to go about things, and torture is NOT one of them!

GavinB
April 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
The sticky traps horrify me. They use them where I work and it's one of the most gruesome forms of death for any living creature. It's not just about starving to death, there's the frantic attempt to get free of the glue, to the extent that skin is ripped off. Snap-traps are way kinder.

Have you explained to your boss about this? Why aren't they using snap traps instead?

Ugh. Sometimes I hate my own species.

sugarcatmom
April 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Have you explained to your boss about this? Why aren't they using snap traps instead?

Ugh. Sometimes I hate my own species.

I work in an enormous warehouse where pest control is contracted out from head office in who-knows-where. Poison bait is also used and that's usually what gets the mice first.

Chris21711
April 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
We had a really bad problem with mice last year, they seemed to favour one particular spot in the kitchen....ie counter....I bought a cheapy humane trap that cost $4 and one by one caught them all (17 in total) took them across the road and released them in the field.

This year I have seen none and no signs of any.......51201

GavinB
April 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I work in an enormous warehouse where pest control is contracted out from head office in who-knows-where. Poison bait is also used and that's usually what gets the mice first.

You could do three things:

1) Attempt to speak to whoever is in charge of the warehouse, and get them to state your case assuming they are on your side.

2) Sabotage the glue traps. Or, throw them away.

3) Contact an animal welfare society (SPCA?) and see how they can help.

This pest control company seems pretty lax. A glue trap is inhumane and not too effective - plus if the animals are on there for a while, they will excrete and urinate frequently (let's not forget rotting carcasses). A major health risk. Even if glue traps are used, they should be checked frequently, and shouldn't that be the law anyway to minimise cruelty to animals? I mean, they're still trapping animals so an effort must be taken to ensure minimal suffering. Leaving them to starve to death like that should be illegal.

I hate some pest control companies for this very reason. They get away with a lot of crap that they really shouldn't. A lot of pest control companies refuse to use glue traps.

BMDLuver
April 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry, this is somewhat off topic but when I was at University, we had a flooding on the marsh's and the rats came up into the town. A few took refuge in a friends apt.... so we put out one of those sticky traps, kind of looked like a pie plate..... The rat got all 4 feet stuck to the plate and was hopping around the apartment. We had to grab a pair of hockey gloves, get hold of the rat and cut around his feet to free the plate. Then we were at a loss what to do. We put him in a cat carrier and took him to the local vet and he was kind enough to euthanize him but that made me vow never to use a sticky trap again as if we hadn't found him he would have gone slowly or worse yet been ripped apart by another animal.

I vote for the live traps myself..... we had them at my last job and we checked daily and set them free when we caught one.

sugarcatmom
April 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
2) Sabotage the glue traps.

I do. :D

Thanks for your input, since you apparently feel strongly enough about this subject to join the board specifically to offer us your advice on the matter. Perhaps you should call up Orkin yourself and complain.

CearaQC
April 27th, 2009, 01:14 PM
In Victorian times, out in gardens, they would lean a brick against a pin or nail with a hazelnut threaded onto it which also went into another brick. Hard to explain, but if the mouse tried to get the hazelnut, the other brick would fall on top of it. :eek:

Even spring traps don't always kill right away. There is some suffering there as well if the critter wasn't in the ideal position when the spring popped.

Live trapping is best IMO, out of all the methods.

Can make a homemade box out of wood also. Cut a little hole in the hinged lid and attach some tough screening material in a cone shape on the inside attached to the hole. Dump in some dried peas/seeds or other bait and the mouse will crawl in and can't get out.

GavinB
April 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I do. :D

Thanks for your input, since you apparently feel strongly enough about this subject to join the board specifically to offer us your advice on the matter. Perhaps you should call up Orkin yourself and complain.

I've helped get them banned in my state.

They are one of the worst things in the world (for animals, anyway). People think fox hunting, seal clubbing, factory farming and animal testing are bad? Let me just tell them this: they haven't seen nothing yet! At least in all the above instances, by law, killing is required to be humane. But apparently it's OK to chuck a cardboard full of glue, and let a rodent/bird/lizard maul itself and starve to death. I mean, superglue to catch and kill animals with... what the hell were they thinking? When I see that sort of stuff, I'm almost ashamed to be human.

GavinB
April 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Even spring traps don't always kill right away. There is some suffering there as well if the critter wasn't in the ideal position when the spring popped.

That's true, not all traps are infallible. However, on a glue trap there's a 100% chance of suffering. A snap trap, when correctly set, maybe 10%? Misfires in my experience are pretty rare, I guess it depends on the design. These days there are hooded snap traps where the animal has to place its head in there to get the bait, the little trigger is right inside.

Chaser
April 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I would definately try the live traps. Just hope you don't have smart mice.....I had a huge mouse infestation in university and my mice worked in pairs: one mouse would hold the trap door while another went in and brought out the bait! They were Super Mice - I considered assembling a mouse army to do my bidding for a while, since they weren't going away.

In terms of prevention, any time you find a hole stick an SOS pad in it! This is hands down the best way to avoid the problem. They will not chew or claw through those...a very good deterrant.

BenMax
April 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Live traps work well. Our office uses the sticky trap but 'someone' sabotaged them. They then went to poison - gee those little buggers ate them all up...:D (right!).

I vote live traps then re-locate.:thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Too bad leaving LeStat loose in the kitchen isn't an option....

:sorry: I couldn't help it :o

roflamoooo...I said the same thing to hubby:laughing:

rainbow
April 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
roflamoooo...I said the same thing to hubby:laughing:

:laughing: I thought it was pretty funny too. :D

And, I know what rotflmao means but wth does roflamoooo mean? :confused:

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions, I am going to look for some live traps today. I will continue to use the snap traps as well, only in the kitchen and in my bedroom, sorry but I don't want those critters in my food or my bed.
I have heard about SOS pads in holes before as well, and I will be stocking up on those today as well.
I will put live traps in my basement, and I will be doubling up on my electronic thingys too.
I don't think I'd use sticky traps, until this thread I've never heard of them before. I am creeped out by the fact that there are mice in my house, but the thought of even an unwelcomed critter suffering, is too much for me to bare.
I worry that my snap traps may cause some suffering too, but in the past they seem to work well. The one that got my Kato, was way under my bed, he somehow managed to squirm and wiggle his way under, he's much bigger now and won't fit under the bed.

I barely slept last night, every lil noise had me curling up in the fetal position, worried that one of these lil critters were going to invade my bed with me in it.:o

Thank you again to everyone that replied, it was very helpful.
I live not too far from the countryside, so I will try the catch and release method.:)

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
:laughing: I thought it was pretty funny too. :D

And, I know what rotflmao means but wth does roflamoooo mean? :confused:

Oooops it was a typo:o...meant to say roflmaoooooooooo....sowwy:o
I'm so over tired, I didn't get much sleep last night, the thought of critters nawing on my toes or nesting in my cleavage kept me awake most of the night:o...:laughing:

rainbow
April 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Oooops it was a typo:o...meant to say roflmaoooooooooo....sowwy:o
I'm so over tired, I didn't get much sleep last night, the thought of critters nawing on my toes or nesting in my cleavage kept me awake most of the night:o...:laughing:

LOL ....since you always come up with such hilarious sayings I thought maybe it was a new one. :laughing:

Good luck with the mouse problem. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
April 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
LMPG,when we had mice,I first heard them in the ceiling,then I found some potatoes in my cupboard had been gnawed on and the mice had gone from insidethe wall and made a big hole in my kitchen-cupboard.
I put a live-trap in there and it is effective,since we had closed up the point of entry,we just let them out in our backyard.

I was sitting watching TV one night and here comes a mouse,with a feisty Vinnie behind him,I to this day have no idea where that mouse went,I know Vinnie did not get him:confused:
I would never,ever use sticky-traps or even snap-traps,there really is no need to kill them,the live-traps work fine.
We had a couple of weird looking black plastic-boxes and they really work.
Bought them at "Crappy Tire"(Canadian Tire).

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I would prefer not to use snap traps as well, but that is an arguement I lost with hubby. I understand his point as well.
I will have live traps in most area's but hubby insists of snap traps in the kitchen and bedrooms (ours and our youngest son's).

Trust me I don't relish the idea of "killing" anything (with the exception of bugs), I once cried for three days when I ran over a gopher, unfortunately circumstances didn't allow for me to swerve to avoid it. I felt so horrible:sad:

Dee-O-Gee
April 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Found this link LMPG....

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-mice/

Mice have a natural aversion to mint, and will generally avoid it. Plant it around the exterior of your house as a deterrent as well as potting some around your home. Not only will they keep mice away, but they'll freshen the air as well. Ahhh. Spearmint seeds can be had in garden centers or ordered online

Don't think Spearmint gum would work though :shrug: :D

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hey the mint thing is a great idea, I think I'm going to use it along with the traps.
I've set two live traps so far, so we'll see if we catch anything tonight!

Dee-O-Gee
April 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Just make sure you don't put the mint near the traps cause mice don't like mint. So if they smell the mint near a trap, chances are they won't go near the traps :shrug:

GOOD LUCK!! 51214

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Just make sure you don't put the mint near the traps cause mice don't like mint. So if they smell the mint near a trap, chances are they won't go near the traps :shrug:

GOOD LUCK!! 51214

Nope no mint near the traps, I'm going to plant the mint outside and maybe have a couple plants inside in the kitchen and familyroom.

Thanks for that link, it'll help me identify what kind of mice I have. I am deathly afraid of deermice, as I've heard they are more prevellant when it comes to carrying things like the hantra virus.
I'm really paranoid about things like that because my youngest son has a supressed immune system.

pbpatti
April 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM
My :2cents: another repellant for mice is Moth Balls. Only problem with them is you have to live with the smell:frustrated:. I used them in my vacation trailer and It took the whole summer + to get rid of the smell:yuck:. Good luck with the traps and I sure hope you get some sleep tonight:sleepy: pbp

Dee-O-Gee
April 27th, 2009, 10:42 PM
My :2cents: another repellant for mice is Moth Balls. Only problem with them is you have to live with the smell:frustrated:. I used them in my vacation trailer and It took the whole summer + to get rid of the smell:yuck:. Good luck with the traps and I sure hope you get some sleep tonight:sleepy: pbp

I thought of moth balls too but they are highly toxic when ingested, causing serious illness or death especially in children and pets.

Also using a large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serous respiratory problems in people living in the space. Just something I read up on and was also exposed to them when I was young--not a very please smell :yuck:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The only way they'd starve to death is if you let them linger on the trap for a few days. Or take the trap with animal and throw it into the bin.

Do you?

Because that's certainly unnecessary. It is also why you're supposed to check them frequently. If you find a mouse stuck on a glue trap, just kill it and don't prolong its misery any further. I've always hated glue traps and I think they ought to be outlawed. And for the people who use them irresponsibly and in a very cruel manner, the less said about them the better. Starving an animal to death, as well as letting it tear itself apart/gnaw its limbs off is unacceptable. There are better ways to go about things, and torture is NOT one of them!

You'll be relieved to hear that we don't use any traps at all, then :p

The last mouse that got in the house ran the gauntlet of 8 dogs and hubby, and trapped itself in the bathroom, under the laundry hamper. I had to rescue it in a coffee can and take it out to the head of the drive, where it was released in good health, probably to make it's way back to the house. It likely calmed down much faster than hubby and dogs did! :laughing:

But I do appreciate your passion on the topic. As I said, the sticky traps are a gruesome alternative. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM
LMPG, if you know where they're coming in, you can use that expanding foam to plug the holes. It works great and they don't like the taste so they don't gnaw their way back in :thumbs up That way you can save your SOS pads for greasy pans. :D

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The last mouse that got in the house ran the gauntlet of 8 dogs and hubby, and trapped itself in the bathroom, under the laundry hamper. I had to rescue it in a coffee can and take it out to the head of the drive, where it was released in good health, probably to make it's way back to the house. It likely calmed down much faster than hubby and dogs did! :laughing:

:

Actually I just read on the link that klmccallum posted, that if you live trap, you should drive them at least a mile away, because they have an uncanny sense of finding their way back to their nest! Smart lil critters!
I'll be driving any I catch, at least 10 miles away, I just hope they don't invade some poor ole farmers house, mind you I'm sure most of the ole farm houses out here have mice anyway. I say that because I see an influx of owls here lately, which leads me to believe the hunting is good!:D

Oh it also basically said that all that money I spent on those electronic devices was a big waste of money...ummm I want my 160 + dollars back!

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 11:26 PM
If they're deermice, they won't necessarily end up back in a house. We have trouble with mice trying to set up housekeeping in the house in fall and winter, but come spring, they pretty much want to be outside :thumbs up

And yep, I knew the end of the drive wasn't far enough...but hubby didn't! :o I was just tryin' to settle the poor man down by getting it out of the house! :laughing:

Mice and spiders! :p Woman's work!

Luvmypitgirls
April 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM
If they're deermice, they won't necessarily end up back in a house. We have trouble with mice trying to set up housekeeping in the house in fall and winter, but come spring, they pretty much want to be outside :thumbs up

And yep, I knew the end of the drive wasn't far enough...but hubby didn't! :o I was just tryin' to settle the poor man down by getting it out of the house! :laughing:

Mice and spiders! :p Woman's work!

Ok spiders I have a issue with, I'm severly arachnophobic (sp?). Seriously, if the spider is too close I will have trouble breathing, I have been known to faint as well. Not so much if the spider is outside, but in my house it's a whole different story!
:eek:

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'm in charge of all Varmint Transport here. :D I have little plastic cups all over the house that are labeled "Bug Cup"...used exclusively for bug and spider transports. If you ever visit Hazel Run and get thirsty, closely examine your cup to make sure it isn't labeled. :o

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I'm in charge of all Varmint Transport here. :D I have little plastic cups all over the house that are labeled "Bug Cup"...used exclusively for bug and spider transports. If you ever visit Hazel Run and get thirsty, closely examine your cup to make sure it isn't labeled. :o

Omg, I just envisioned me picking up a cup to take a swig, and there floating is the biggest meanest looking spider.....heebee jeebies...ACK!

I appreciate your willingness to save all creatures, but I still draw the line with spiders.
We had that creepy spider outside last year, that is the first spider I didn't have the inkling to kill. There was something about that spider that made it "special", altho I do hope that the winter killed it off and that it doesn't reappear this year, I may not have that same feeling towards it, and it could end up going splat with a steel toe workboot thrown from a safe distance:laughing:

rainbow
April 28th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I had to use a work boot on a black widow here a few years ago ......I still shudder when I think of it. :o :yuck:

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I had to use a work boot on a black widow here a few years ago ......I still shudder when I think of it. :o :yuck:

:eek:..omg!

Gail P
April 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
We get mice here no matter what, I can't seem to find where they're getting in. With all the dogs in the house they tend to stay between the walls and the floorboards for the most part. They used to run rampant inside my kitchen cupboards (the lower ones) so I kept everything in there stored in glass jars so they couldn't get at it. Of course they could still run all over the jar tops and make them a mess, as well as the floor, and they'd get up into the drawers. nothing more disgusting than finding they'd been into the silverware drawer and having to clean it all out. I have traps set all over the place and will occasionally catch a mouse but not all that often. I've also tried the Victor tin cat live traps with about the same amount of success. What I found works to at least repel them from areas where you really dont' want them (like in the silverware and kitchen linen drawers), is putting some peppermint essential oil on a piece of paper towel and leaving that in the drawer. Until the oil completely evaporates the mice stay away. I also gave the cupboards a super-duper clean out, stuffed around all the pipes with steel wool and sprayed a bleach mixture over the floor and shelving before putting anything back in. Seems to be helping keep them out of there, though I know there are still mice in the house. I hear them from time to time. They seem to be worse at certain times of the year. Back in the fall I also had shrews. I caught 7 of them in total, but they are easy to catch so I think I got them all.

NoahGrey
April 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Is there any other way of getting rid of them, besides traps and poison, I can't do poison because of my pets, I won't take that risk.

And not to mention that it is illgal to cause an animal distress..and these methods certainly do.

As well...it is law that any animal can only released within 1km from where it was found. yes, even for mice. It is actually against the law to relocate any wildlife, by MNR.

ACO22

coppperbelle
April 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
The first thing I did was crawl around from room to room and try to figure out where they were getting into the house. Any wires or pipes coming into the house are mouse runways. In my house it was the wire or hose for the dishwasher. Once you find an opening (it can be as a small as half the diameter of a dime) then you must seal it up with steel wool. You have to check the spots regularly because they will try to push it out of the way. I put duct tape on top of the steel wool. I have been told by a few people that poison actually attracts the mice. I have foundthat snap traps are the best. I place them in areas where I suspect the mice have been coming into the house. Although better than glue traps they still may not work immediately. One day I got to the cottage and couldn't find two of the traps I had set. The mice had dragged them across the house. Most of the time they are killed instantly thankfully.
Life trapping does not always work and they can return especially if they have a nest.

happycats
April 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
We've got mice...again.
I've tried those electronic thingys, I've set traps and I've sealed the holes around the kitchen sink plumbing where they seem to have nawed their way thru.

I'm just totally creeped out, there was mousie poop in my bedroom!:eek:

Is there any other way of getting rid of them, besides traps and poison, I can't do poison because of my pets, I won't take that risk. I don't like using traps either because Kato found one decided to lick the peanut butter, setting it off and having it snap on his tongue...poor boy.

So if anyone has any other ideas that won't be dangerous or painful to my pets I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

I use the humane traps that they go in but can't get out, you can get them at walmart or canadian tire. Mice HATE mint, used mint tooth paste around areas you think they are coming in, also sponges soaked with mint mouth wash.

Use steel wool to plug all holes, they can't chew through it :D

Luvmypitgirls
April 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
And not to mention that it is illgal to cause an animal distress..and these methods certainly do.

As well...it is law that any animal can only released within 1km from where it was found. yes, even for mice. It is actually against the law to relocate any wildlife, by MNR.

ACO22

Ok, well law or no law, I am taking any mice I catch out to the country. I will not drive a mile and drop the mice in another neighborhood to infest another house. I'm not too worried about the mice calling and reporting me to authorities, ;)

I take great precautions not to cause harm to any living creature (with the exception of certain bugs and spiders like I mentioned before.)
Which is why I won't use the sticky traps or poison.

Not to mention, my son's bus driver's daughter, had to put her dog to death after it got into rodent poison, (not going to go into details, but the whole situation sucked and pissed me off).

I am going to do the mint suggestions, as well as the steel wool, I know they are in the walls, how they are getting access I'm not sure but once the weather is nicer we are going to go over this entire place with a fine tooth comb filling every niche and cranny, crack or hole.
I have banned soda and food from the bedrooms (kids..:rolleyes:), Stewies food and hay are going to be sealed in garbage bags and then placed in bins.

I have live traps set as well as 4 snap traps (don't like them but in key areas I had to comprimise with my hubby).