Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Invasion of the Ladybugs (aka Lady Beatles)

luckypenny
April 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Ok, I'm a wimp, I'm a wuss, I damn near peed myself when I went downstairs today and saw the swarms of lady beatles there. No sooner than I finished vacuuming them up, hundreds more appeared and I can't get the smell out of my nose :yuck:.

I know they were probably wintering in between the walls or something and now want out to enjoy the Spring weather like the rest of us :o, but I can't stand them all over the place :yell:.

Please, someone, tell me what I can do to get rid of them :pray: :cry:.

Mat&Murph
April 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Dish soap!! Makes a mess but they will die off. Then you just clean it up.. Lady bugs are sooo cute. Are you sure you don't want a couple million more roommates?? :laughing:

Jim Hall
April 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
lol aint country living great!!1 and how a few lbugs are cute but a hoard is horrriblel

luckypenny
April 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I love the real lady bugs :o, but these are imposters :frustrated:. They're actually Asian Lady Beetles and they stink...and they bite :eek:.

Do I just put out a bowl of water and dish soap M&M?

Mat&Murph
April 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Find the entry point and just squirt straight dish soap there and leave it for 5 mins. Believe me I have done this and works like a dream

luckypenny
April 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I don't think they're coming in right now (they normally look for shelter in the fall)....actually, I think they're trying to leave. Maybe I can remove a few window screens and see if that doesn't help a bit :shrug:.

Bina
April 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
When I've had the Lady Bugs all over the windows, I get a glass half filled with water, then I use a spatula to scrape the Bugs off of the window and into the glass. Then you can either flush them or throw them outside.
Lately I've had the elongated version of common Fly.
I'm using the Fly tapes and also a small square plastic container with water and a few
drops of oil, which is placed on the window ledge against the window glass.
When my water trap is full, I throw them outside.
Good Lord, we have become DIY exterminators........so sad.;)

Mat&Murph
April 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I don't think they're coming in right now (they normally look for shelter in the fall)....actually, I think they're trying to leave. Maybe I can remove a few window screens and see if that doesn't help a bit :shrug:.
That should help!! If they are trying to leave you may be in luck

rainbow
April 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, I'm a wimp, I'm a wuss, I damn near peed myself when I went downstairs today and saw the swarms of lady beatles there. No sooner than I finished vacuuming them up, hundreds more appeared and I can't get the smell out of my nose :yuck:.

Aslan must have had tears rolling down her cheeks laughing at you. :laughing:

Glad we don't get those nasty things here. :yuck:

And, hope you get rid of them :grouphug: ......good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

aslan
April 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Aslan must have had tears rolling down her cheeks laughing at you. :laughing:

Glad we don't get those nasty things here. :yuck:

And, hope you get rid of them :grouphug: ......good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

LOL, i chuckled away quietly to myself Rainbow, I was afraid to laugh outloud, what with this funky dance she was doing, :laugh::laugh:

angeldogs
April 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Get a picture of those things.i've seen lady bugs but never lady beatles.

Skip that i did a google search.i thought they were two different bugs but looked the same.duh.

cpietra16
April 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Don't get rid of them...they're great for afids....they eat afids and keep your plant from dieing....I should come and get some. i always get afids eating my poor plants away......

rainbow
April 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
LOL, i chuckled away quietly to myself Rainbow, I was afraid to laugh outloud, what with this funky dance she was doing, :laugh::laugh:

:laughing: I suppose you didn't get pics for us either. :frustrated:

Jim Hall
April 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
oh damn yeah those are worth a scream did they leave> i would have used somoethong on them d washing lig is good so is bleach

Jim Hall
April 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
When I've had the Lady Bugs all over the windows, I get a glass half filled with water, then I use a spatula to scrape the Bugs off of the window and into the glass. Then you can either flush them or throw them outside.
Lately I've had the elongated version of common Fly.
I'm using the Fly tapes and also a small square plastic container with water and a few
drops of oil, which is placed on the window ledge against the window glass.
When my water trap is full, I throw them outside.
Good Lord, we have become DIY exterminators........so sad.;)

lmao i need to wipe my face im laughing so hard somebody should make a sticky homeopathic extermination maybe ?

cell
April 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
wow I wish I only had lady bugs, I have house centipedes! and a huge in coming of pill bugs, I have silverfish, dandy long legs and I've seem a couple of these bright red spiders with 2cm long pincher. I wish I had lady bugs...

hazelrunpack
April 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Don't get rid of them...they're great for afids....they eat afids and keep your plant from dieing....I should come and get some. i always get afids eating my poor plants away......

They got here because gardeners imported them for just that reason. Unfortunately, they're prone to huge population surges and are outcompeting the native species :sad:

Plus, as LP says, they stink (that and cigarette smoke are the two main aggravators of my asthma) and they bite. :eek:

Multiply one stinking, biting ladybug by thousands hanging out in your house and you'll realize why you really don't want any of these guys :p

Our first fall here, I cranked open one of my basement windows and stuck my head out to see what the dogs were doing and about 250 of the little ladybuggers fell out of the frame into my hair :yuck: I had bad dreams for weeks! :laughing:

LP, my advice is to keep on a'vacuuming! :thumbs up And get a package of those perfumed beads that freshen your vacuum. Doesn't get rid of the ladybug stink totally, but it at least covers it up some. :o

Dog Dancer
April 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
We got infestations at my old office, but here I've bought them for the garden! Go figure huh.