Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tip: Itching/scratching dog

denisesyd
April 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hello,

After several visits to my veterinarian's office and a lot of bills, I read that Omega-3 for children (210 mg) could relieve my dog's itching and scratching.
I got my Shih Tzu at the SPCA - Please boycott the pet shops. They are only an excuse to promote puppy mills who specialized in mass breeding in extremely unsanitary conditions.

My dog is about 4 years old and weighs 18 lbs. I gave him, for one week, one capsule a day after he had finished eating. It did improve, but he was still scratching his neck area and sometimes biting the inside of his back legs.

For the last week, I have been giving him 2 capsules and he is a whole lot better. He gets one capsule (Omega-3 for children) in the morning and the second one at night after he has finished eating.

kiara
April 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
It seems that your vet is good at taking your money and not resolving the itching problem. I don't know what part of Canada you live in? In Montreal I can recommend several good vets. Your dog needs to have allergy tests done to see what he is allergic to! So that you can eliminate the cause. Often pets are allergic to food ingredients, or liquids used to wash the floor. In the spring time, grasses and fertilizers on your lawn. As far as self-medicating, it is a very bad idea, as it may do more harm than good. We are not vets and therefore cannot recommend any medications or the doses. Pet shops should be banned, but it seems that people want purebred animals. Suppy and demand!!!

AnnHFashion
May 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi

I had a white shepherd that was allergic to glucosimine.
It took me nearly 2 years to totally solve the problem.
The dog food she was getting had changed receipes and
I was now buying one for large breed. Well it had glucosimine
in it and then the vet added glucosimine for her hips( age 5 ).
She started licking paws raw and vet gave me prednisone
and I went back to the original recipe of the same brand of food.

I also took her off the glucosimine and the licking stopped.
Try the glucoimine tablets again ( as per vet ) and in just
2 days she was licking her paws raw again. So that ended it.
No glucosimine and she was fine.

This was trial and error and you know your pets but it sure
would help if they could speak in English.

Ann

MadeleineI
July 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Itching and skin eruptions are generally an indication that your dog is trying to get rid of toxins in the body. Commercial pet food are generally pretty toxic. Try a raw meat and bones diet. Although this may make things worse initially, it will then get much better.