Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eye boogers and Raw

bendyfoot
April 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi all.

The girls are doing, overall, amazing on their raw diet. Jaida especially, who has transformed from a bone rack into a lovely, filled-out young lady.

The only concern I have right now is that I've noticed, mainly with Gracie, and increase in eye boogies. It's more than the usual morning eye dirt, I seem to be picking it out at least twice a day (maybe I'm exaggerating, but it seems like it).

Any ideas?

hazelrunpack
April 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Is it the food, do you think, or just spring allergies? We're having a dry spring, so there's lots of dust. Between the usual spring allergens and all the dust, we've cornered the market on eye goobies here. :rolleyes:

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
I laways heard it was the food , the cheapest , the more eye buggers .... Sam had leaking eyes , and it never changed while he was on raw. So really , I don't think it's food related. IMO. :shrug:

bendyfoot
April 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I'm not really sure what to think. Heidi's boogies got BETTER. Jaida's stayed the same. Only Gracie's seem to be more. Her eyes are not irritated at all, there's no concern there...I dunno. I'm not really that worried about it, just curious if anyone else has noticed something like it. It's probably not the food.

cassblonde
April 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM
My Susie is also an eye boogie girl but when I asked the vet she said that since her eyes aren't irritated not to worry. I just clean them out and tell her she's pretty :)

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Have you tried a sterile saline flush a couple times a day, bendyfoot? If she's reacting to allergens or dust, saline might do the trick :thumbs up

Chris21711
April 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I noticed that since I switched to dogs to grain-free kibble, Reb gets icky eye boogers, not the others though...I just clean them more frequently, much to his chagrin....:dog:

LittleMonster
April 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't noticed any difference with my dog. Eye boogers are eye boogers, I get them too. My dog usually "washes" his own face with his paws and his tongue every morning when he wakes up. :thumbs up: works great.