Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sad news on the news

Luvmypitgirls
April 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
There was a baby killed by a Pit mix.
Apparently the parents had a difficult time conceiving and it took them years to have this baby.
They were in the room with the baby when the dog burst in and grabbed the infant by the head shaking it.
The father shot and killed the dog with his hand gun, but it was too late.
Apparently this dog had been cited as a dangerous dog long before this incident.
It's sad and tragic, and I know it will be used as another arguement to "ban" the breed:sad:
I hate it when this kind of thing happens, it's a tragedy for all involved human and canine alike.

BenMax
April 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
This is so very tragic.

If this dog was already deemed dangerous - why take the chance?

I am not a bleeding heart. I personally have no problem with euthansia for dogs that are aggressive towards humans. Sorry - I don't really care what breed it is - if it is dangerous - do the right damn thing.

How very very sad and totally unnecessary.

marko
April 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
This is a terrible tragedy and my heartfelt condolences go out to this family and I agree with your post BenMax.

Dog Dancer
April 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
It's so sad, no matter the breed of the dog. I hate stupid people. We had an attack out here a couple weeks ago where the family's pit x attacked their 3 year old child. Mauled him badly. Father says they knew the dog wasn't good with children, and it was his fault for letting the dog off his chain into the house. Why then??? Sadly the dog paid the final price for the man's stupidity, and again it's the breed that takes another shot. It's just not right. If my lab was people aggressive she would be gone. Period. I'm with you too BM.

LavenderRott
April 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
You know, I have a very hard time feeling sorry for this family.

A month ago I put down a beautiful dog who had some issues. He attacked my husband and, as I was sitting right next to him, I can say this was an unprovoked attack. I was heartbroken but the thought of what could have happened if my husband hadn't gotten into the bathroom fast enough or if my 11 year old had been the one attacked made the decision to put him down an easy one.

These people KNEW that this dog was dangerous before they got pregnant, before the child was born and before the decision to let this dog in the house with this child. This dog had terrorized the neighborhood for quite some time and yet they let the dog into the house with their child.

This happened just outside of Detroit, in a not so lovely neighborhood.

Love4himies
April 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Very sad indeed. :sad:. Too bad the parents were so darn irresponsible.

I agree with you BenMax, you can't risk a human life (unless it is a Michael Vick type person) to save a pets. The child was an innocent baby and didn't deserve to die.

:rip: pup, the demons in your head are now at rest :candle:

:rip: sweet baby. :candle:

Luvmypitgirls
April 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
This is so very tragic.

If this dog was already deemed dangerous - why take the chance?

I am not a bleeding heart. I personally have no problem with euthansia for dogs that are aggressive towards humans. Sorry - I don't really care what breed it is - if it is dangerous - do the right damn thing.

How very very sad and totally unnecessary.

I agree 100%. I have always maintained that if one of my dogs regardless of breed ever showed human aggression I would have the dog euthanized, unless the attack was on a home intruder or someone causing me or someone in my family bodily harm, because I know my Rotti would try to protect me/us. However a complete unprovoked attack, would mean euthing.

The dog in question, has shown human aggression time and time again, I don't know why they would have their baby around a dog that has been deemed dangerous.

coppperbelle
April 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
This is so tragic and unnecessary. I have a sometimes aggressive dog and have battled with myself on what I should do. Most of the time she is sweet and loving but then there are times when she is not. She has bitten three times and for absolutely no reason.
It is so difficult to make "THE" decision. I question myself and wonder if I have the right to play God. I often wish that somehow the decision would be made for me. I know this is the cowards way out but I love her dearly and we have been through so much together. She has other issues such as pooping and peeing in the house on an almost daily basis but I can live with things like that if only there wasn't the aggression.

angeldogs
April 23rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
That is very tragic and sad.

:rip:sweet innocent baby.:candle:

flipgirl4
April 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
This is such a sad story. Maybe they shouldhave euthanized the dog, maybe they thought about it and maybe they felt bad if they have to kill their dog. We don't know the whole story. We had to euthanize a 9-month old dog because of aggression. Sad but the woman had 3 young children. I'm sure the parents are regretting keeping the dog now; it's just too sad.

Magicwildwolf69
April 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
i agree with a lot about they shouldn't have kept the dog if it was agressive toward people. Sadly if i ever were to get pregent (not planning on it right now) we might have to get rid of one of our cats who is a agressive toward me and other people. i mean we are fine with him right now cause its just me and my FH. i just wish sometimes people would think in the long run and not just live in the now. :sad:

rainbow
April 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
What a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented. :sad:

I feel sorry for the parents for the loss of their child :grouphug: :candle: but they really should have known better. :frustrated: And, unfortunately, the poor dog had to pay the price for their stupidity. :wall:

LavenderRott
April 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Now the family is encouraging anyone who owns a pit bull to get rid of it. According to the family, they can't be trusted and it was a sneak attack.

I think what makes me the angriest is that the media has all of negative press to show about these dogs but there is absolutely no way you can get them interested in doing a positive piece about a pit bull.

Sylvie
April 24th, 2009, 05:51 AM
What a tragic story, both for the dog and the baby.

If the dog burst into the room, how was it a sneak attack. I think the parents are to blame, as in so many cases it is the humans fault not the dog.

Now a child and a dog is dead thanks to humans again!

I agree with BenMax, the one thing I will not put up with any of my dogs, is aggression to people. If everyone felt this way, then there would be less dog attacks.

Sorry to rant. I just feel that pit bulls are always blamed for peoples stupidity.

BenMax
April 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Now the family is encouraging anyone who owns a pit bull to get rid of it. According to the family, they can't be trusted and it was a sneak attack.

I think what makes me the angriest is that the media has all of negative press to show about these dogs but there is absolutely no way you can get them interested in doing a positive piece about a pit bull.

So now the family is condemning all pitties or like? That is just as irresponsible as actually keeping a dog that has this history and letting him around a child. Can you imagine what this is going to do? Unbelieveable and now tragic for all pitties since they will be targetted yet again. There are going to be four legged victims due to this tragic event which is 100% the fault of these people.

Sorry to rant, but I can just see the writing on the wall.

Luvmypitgirls
April 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
So now the family is condemning all pitties or like? That is just as irresponsible as actually keeping a dog that has this history and letting him around a child. Can you imagine what this is going to do? Unbelieveable and now tragic for all pitties since they will be targetted yet again. There are going to be four legged victims due to this tragic event which is 100% the fault of these people.

Sorry to rant, but I can just see the writing on the wall.

Exactly, and let's not forget that this dog, had lunged at other ppl in their neighborhood, was deemed dangerous and the owners/parents, didn't follow the guidelines set out for their dog by the court. Had they, the dog would have been secured and their baby would probably still be alive.

Now, all responsible Pittie owners are going to have to fight all the harder to dispell the media hype, the stereotypes and defend their dogs.
What really pisses me off, is now they are speaking out against Pits and Pit x's, they didn't seem to really care when their dog was terrorizing their neighborhood, but now that they've lost their own child they scream the breed can't be trusted.

If they can't be trusted, then please tell me why less than 1% of the Pitbull population has attacked a human.

I feel sad for the child whose life was lost, but the responsibility lays squarely on the parents shoulders.

Love4himies
April 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Exactly, and let's not forget that this dog, had lunged at other ppl in their neighborhood, was deemed dangerous and the owners/parents, didn't follow the guidelines set out for their dog by the court. Had they, the dog would have been secured and their baby would probably still be alive.

Now, all responsible Pittie owners are going to have to fight all the harder to dispell the media hype, the stereotypes and defend their dogs.
What really pisses me off, is now they are speaking out against Pits and Pit x's, they didn't seem to really care when their dog was terrorizing their neighborhood, but now that they've lost their own child they scream the breed can't be trusted.

If they can't be trusted, then please tell me why less than 1% of the Pitbull population has attacked a human.

I feel sad for the child whose life was lost, but the responsibility lays squarely on the parents shoulders.

Well said and agree 100%.

ancientgirl
April 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
This is a terrible story. What makes me angry also, is that the media will no doubt put aside the irresponsibility of the parents and lay the blame more on the breed of the dog.

The focus will now again unfairly be on pit bulls and the dangers they pose. :rolleyes: When in reality, these parents had in their home a known aggressive dog. Pit bull or not, it could have been a chihuahua, this dog was aggressive and had previously been a danger. WHY did they have this dog in their home, and why did they not keep a better watch over both the dog and the baby?

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
ARe the parents going to be charged with anything? Knowing they have an aggressive dog and allowing it to be in the same room as a newborn is irresponsible.

In what city did this happen?

LavenderRott
April 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
ARe the parents going to be charged with anything? Knowing they have an aggressive dog and allowing it to be in the same room as a newborn is irresponsible.

In what city did this happen?

It happened in Eastpointe, I believe, which is a border 'burb of Detroit.

Of course the parents won't be charged with anything! It was the satin spawned pit bull that killed the baby! Dad was the hero, remember? He is the one who shot the dog as it killed his son.

luckypenny
April 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM

I'm sorry, as harsh as this may sound, the death of their child is not the fault of their dog, but their own. What a way to take the responsibility off oneself :mad:.

This just makes me sick.

RIP baby.

:candle:

ancientgirl
April 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry, as harsh as this may sound, the death of their child is not the fault of their dog, but their own. What a way to take the responsibility off oneself :mad:.

This just makes me sick.

RIP baby.

:candle:

I agree. It's really convenient to blame the dog after the fact. This absolves them of any blame because it was a pit bull and we all know how dangerous they are.:rolleyes: What idiots. These people should never have children. They can't be responsible.