Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking For a Job

TacoGrl
April 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Ok, so I REALLY need to find another job and am wondering what ways you can think of to find one?

I send my resumes out on spec...I answer ads I find on job lines...I don't have many references/contacts as most of the jobs I have had, the companies have been sold or gone under and I just haven't kept in touch with people :sad: ...plus, I haven't been asked for references in probably close to ten years so I haven't really even thought about it!

My current industry (automotive) is laying people off right left and center and the ones left aren't earning much...my previous industry (oil & gas), well you all know where they are! :frustrated:

People tell me I am over-qualified or they are looking for a BA that will work for minimum wage...don't people promote from within anymore and don't they know that BA will leave once the economy picks up?

I am thinking I need to be creative, but my brain just keeps thinking of yellow balls and daisies. :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
What is it you do? Line work? Office work? Accounting?

Now ask yourself what your dream job would be.... :cloud9: ...and tell us... :D

Then we'll brainstorm from there! :thumbs up

TacoGrl
April 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
When I worked in oil & gas, I was a Technical Assistant...creating live well charts, designing tech manuals, QHS&E manuals/orientations, extensive spreadsheets, field evaluations of well sites, community assessments...the list goes on :rolleyes: This type of work is what I am trying to get back into...I was in line for a really good position iwth a really good company, but the funding got pulled until after break-up, but who knows now with the economy and all if it will ever get funding.

In the automotive world, I am a Service Advisor...I HATE it. :yell: People are so rude and I work on 100% comission which means sometimes I struggle with my ethics. :frustrated: However, I do like doing minor repairs to people's vehicles and see the surprise on their faces...I like the freedom of going for roadtests when I am bored...I like the continual learning that goes with the job.

My dream job? Being the best I can be while a Cabana boy serves me! :thumbs up Seriously, I would like something that takes me to the field again the odd time...something technical (I like tasks I have to THINK about with research involved)...something more than sitting at a desk 100% of the day. I would like to be QHS&E advisor or Environmental Tech (I have expereince doing both, but not credentials to do full time), but going back to school just isn't in the cards financially. :sad:

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Are either of those something that you can work into as an apprentice or intern? Get your experience, save a little money while you're doing it, and then getting the education credentials while you're on the job? :fingerscr

TacoGrl
April 23rd, 2009, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately not...they are 2 and 4 year full time courses (no night school either) with practicums...I took some of the courses as electives while I was taking my Social Sciences Diploma and they have helped out with some of the tasks I have been given with other jobs, but to actually do them, I need to go back and get the credentials :sad:

As for the SS Dip...not interested in working in that field...too frustrating...too much red tape to help anyone and the pay is horrible.

Luvmypitgirls
April 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
In the automotive world, I am a Service Advisor...I HATE it. :yell: People are so rude and I work on 100% comission which means sometimes I struggle with my ethics. :frustrated: However, I do like doing minor repairs to people's vehicles and see the surprise on their faces...I like the freedom of going for roadtests when I am bored...I like the continual learning that goes with the job.

TacoGrl, unfortunately I have no advice to offer, but whatever it is you are looking for I hope you find it eventually.

My husband is in the auto industry, finance manager, used to be in sales, as was I at one point.
It's funny, I have yet to meet a Service Advisor that actually likes their job. I've witnessed how rude ppl can be to their service advisor, and had to bite my tongue on many occassions. I could never be a Service Advisor, I don't have the "temperment" required for the job.;)

BenMax
April 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
TacoGirl as crazy as this sounds if I did not have the credentials I would offer them 1 week FREE of service and they could evaluate me from there. After 1 week - if no good - I leave without a word. If they like me - then I stay and discuss the salary.

This technique has gotten my some incredible opportunities. I landed this great job I am presently at and they did infact pay my week. It's been 3 1/2 years and I am very happy here.

A 'no' can be a 'yes'.:)

TacoGrl
April 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
LMPG...yes, people sure can be rude and I am finding I am not putting up with the ignorance as much as I usually do (especially since the $$$ aren't there anymore)...it doesn't just slide off my back anymore...that's how I know it's time to find another job. I just can't believe some of the things people say to us...like WE broke their car :frustrated:

BenMax...that is a good idea...never thought of it :) I am not sure how to swing it when I am at work during the day for 12-14hrs though :sad: (did I say I hate my job? :frustrated:) I am going to try to set something up though cuz I don't think I will be here very much longer and it sounds like a good way to get a foot in the door...thx. :)

Bina
April 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I know of someone who lost a very "cushy" job after 26 yrs of service.....well, he went down the road,
applied for a bottum rung factory position, and one year later was promoted with a 50% pay raise,
then another year later promoted again with a 30% pay raise.
Sometimes that "special" job is in front of you and you never realize it. :)
Good Luck.

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
In the automotive world, I am a Service Advisor...I HATE it. :yell:

Welcome to my world .... I'm a claiman :D if you do want to stay in this field , there are jobs available , just don't apply in american car dealers ....

It's funny, I have yet to meet a Service Advisor that actually likes their job.

I do but ... omg they complain all day long :p

TacoGrl
April 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
It's funny Frenchy...when I started, I loved it and had a lot of fun...I used to look at my co-workers who had been at it for a while and thought...wow, how grumpy! Now I find myself grumpy and I don't want to be that person.