Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about martingale collar

scathach
April 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if martingale collar were a good alternative instead of using a chain choker. My lil english bulldog Georges started OB classes, the trainer talk about getting chain or nylon choker but i'm worried that a chain choker and alot of extra neck skin won't go well together. :shrug:

Bailey_
April 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
The martingale collar is a safer, more comfortable tool than the choker and is generally more easily used by people unaccustomed to training collars.

However, the martingale and the chain (though they may seem similiar) are quite different. If there is a reason that your trainer wants you to get the choker, I would talk it over with them. A martingale won't deliver the same results as a choke, and vice versa.

scathach
April 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
yeah i've read that martingale wouldnt gave tha same effect than a choker. But Georges was one of the best behave dogs in the group and all we had was his 1" nylon collar.So that lead me to think he should do okay with a martingale. I should talk with the trainer. I think i'll send him an e-mail.

luckypenny
April 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
If Georges is well-behaved and very responsive to you, I don't see why you can't simply use a regular flat collar. Why punish him with corrections when you can gently teach him instead :shrug:? Have you looked into other positive training methods/classes rather than one that uses positive punishment for 'mistakes'?

If it's absolutely necessary, then I'd rather see a Premier Collar used instead of a chokechain. It's similar to a martingale but using nylon rather than a chain. Definitely a better choice imo.

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/collars/other#premiercollars

Just scroll down to Premier Collar for a description.

LavenderRott
April 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
IMHO - there is no single collar that is good for every single dog. I would be concerned about a trainer who wanted every dog in a class to have the same type of collar.

Talk to the trainer about this. If you are not comfortable putting a choke collar on your dog - it is simple - DON'T.

A martingale can offer pretty much the same correction as a choke collar - unless, of course, your correction involves choking your dog.

Melinda
April 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
our martingale collar has canvas and chain, I just love it, Brina is famous for "backing" out of her collars and this solves the problem.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/DSCF0309.jpg

scathach
April 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
The trainer is not all about correction, he said it's more about positive reinforcement :thumbs up The choker was more of a help to be understand, just a quick pull nothing to really hurt a dog. He was all about us talking gently to our dog while he was doing good.

Georges is most of the time well behave but he can be a stubborn lil devil sometime, like at the end of the class when he was tired and didnt want to follow anymore. He knows how to get loose of his regular collar and did it 3 times at the end :shrug:

I send a e-mail the the trainer and i waiting for the response at the moment.