Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great couch-material for pet-owners

chico2
April 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I am just so very impressed by the ultra-suede material.
I've had this couch for 13yrs in"my" TV-room,it was dirty so I was going to have it steam-cleaned.
But decided to unzip the seat-pillows and unstitch the lose pillows and throw them in the washmachine and dryer,they came out beautifully,no shrinkage at all:thumbs up I'ts like a new set..
That room and couch is used a lot,by 3 cats and us,cats do not like to scratch it,except for maybe a couple of times,I highly recommend it to pet-owners.
Any single stain can easily be cleaned off with a wet cloth too.
We have leather in the livingroom,but the cats are seldom in there.

Lukka'sma
April 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have an ultra suede couch as well chico and I agree that it cleans up very well. My BIL allowed his 1 year old to color with a ball point pen on the couch one day:frustrated: and I was able to get it all off without a trace:thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Chico, I love your couch. How does it stand up to the kitty claws?

Is ultra suede actually suede or just something manufactured to feel like it?

Melinda
April 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
ohhh I love your whole room, that gorgeous cat statue!!! your couch.....can I move in?? *L*

chico2
April 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
AG,no it's not suede,it's just called Ultra Suede,it does feel like it though,the cats only scratch it a bit in the beginning,it's the longest I've ever had a couch,13yrs,imagine that with 3 cats:thumbs up
Lukkas mom,that little couch fit right in to my little room,I found it at IDOMO 13yrs ago.
I've cleaned up kitty-throw-up and all kinds of stuff,but I was amazed how it washed in the machine,the seats are all zippered.
Melinda,I LOVE my little room too,the stone-kitties I bought for myself when they were on sale,love them too:thumbs up
I actually just painted the room,at first I hated the color,but now I love it.

cpietra16
April 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Chico.....I like your wall...is it ...wainscoting....and thanks for the tip on the couch..I'm lookin ginto buying a second hand couch and its good to know what to look for....thanks again. Nice couch...are you selling??????:D

TacoGrl
April 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with Ultra Suade as well :thumbs up

My two are scratching the arms, but they cant get their nails to catch on anything...its great!

I have had mine for 4 years.

chico2
April 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
cpietra,no it's old panelling,we decided to paint it rather than take it off,it used to be a terra-cotta color before.
I definetly recommend the Ultra-Suede,but mine is not for sale:laughing:

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
I think I'm going to have to look into ultra suede for myself then. :D

Luvmypitgirls
April 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
The painted panelling looks awesome:thumbs up
That sofa looks amazing for being 13 yrs old, with cats!
I too, love your stone cat figurines, very cute indeed!

I wish I could've found a furniture set in Ultra suede/Microfiber, that was the right color and size for my room.
But all I could find was the utra suede with the leather/vinyl on the sides and back, that just didn't appeal to me.

My new stuff is chenelle (sp..sorry brainfart, can't spell today). There will definitely be no fuzzy butts allowed.

happycats
April 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
looks amazing!
Ultra suede it will be for my next purchase......they are really killing the leather :frustrated: Even Buddy goes on the leather when we're sleeping or away.....sneaky guy, how do you train a dog when you never catch him doing it! :D

Is it the same material as "micro fibre suede" ? there are so many different names these days.

rainbow
April 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well a new couch is definitely on our shopping list since we still haven't replaced the one that Chase ate yet. :rolleyes: So that is good to hear about the Ultra Suede fabric. :thumbs up

I have seen them in the flyers that come around but the only colours they seem to come in now is red :eek: or chocolate brown. :yuck:

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
looks amazing!
Ultra suede it will be for my next purchase......they are really killing the leather :frustrated: Even Buddy goes on the leather when we're sleeping or away.....sneaky guy, how do you train a dog when you never catch him doing it! :D

Is it the same material as "micro fibre suede" ? there are so many different names these days.

Me too. I'd read leather was supposed to be great for cats, that they hated the way it felt on their paws blah blah blah.

Riiiiiight. You should see the corners of my couch.:laughing: I'm just glad it was a hand me down or I'd be really pissed.

Luvmypitgirls
April 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Well a new couch is definitely on our shopping list since we still haven't replaced the one that Chase ate yet. :rolleyes: So that is good to hear about the Ultra Suede fabric. :thumbs up

I have seen them in the flyers that come around but the only colours they seem to come in now is red :eek: or chocolate brown. :yuck:

I was trying to find a set in chocolate brown, but all I could find was ivory or grey or red and green.

TacoGrl
April 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I got a neutral colour (light brown) cuz I thought it would go with anything and it gave me an excuse to go shopping to accessorize with colour! :lightbulb:

I was a bit leary of something this light, but it sure does wash up well.

cpietra16
April 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
I just noticed that your cat and the statue of the cat have the same pose...was this a set up?????.......:D:rolleyes::D

rainbow
April 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I was trying to find a set in chocolate brown, but all I could find was ivory or grey or red and green.

I don't want choc brown or the bright red and bright green as they will show the dog/cat hair too much. :rolleyes: And the ivory and grey would get dirty so quickly. :frustrated: I need something in between. :D

ancientgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'd love one in lime green!:D

TacoGrl
April 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'd love one in lime green!:D

The Brick has a sofa collection that comes in lime green, steel blue and tan...they are quite nice as well...and inexpensive :thumbs up

chico2
April 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
My 2 leather couches in the living-room are fine,that's where hubby watches"his big screen plasma TV'(that he's soooo proud of:laughing:),the cats prefer to be with me in my little room,it gets really cozy,used to be one of my boys bed-room.
I think Ultra Suede is Microfiber,but I don't think it matters that you get a light one,hair is easily removed,stains easily cleaned.

AG,for some reason I like lime-green too,it's such a light sunny color,goes great with my pinestuff in my room.

cpietra,I just noticed that too,I was not planning on having Vinnie in the pic,but there he was:laughing:

Chaser
April 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm glad to hear this! :thumbs up I just bought a microsuede sectional that's going to be delivered to our new place next week. Good to know from other pet owners that my three little monsters aren't likely to destroy it!

chico2
April 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
CM,well,you have 2 not so little monsters(although I would never call them that):laughing:
I am sure you'll be happy with your new set:thumbs up

dmc123
April 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the information - we've looked at those types of material before and wondered how they'd hold up to pets.

Maybe one day we can get new stuff. In the meantime we use similar type material for blankets and throws on our old beat up couch.

Diane

mollywog
April 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Chico, thanks for the info. Looks like a nice cozy couch to curl up on with your favourite furkids!
And BTW, I love your pine coffee table/ trunk!!

chico2
April 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Thank's Mollywog!
I am a little surprised at all the responses,but I guess we all have the same problems,4-legged little destroyers:cat::dog:
Another good thing with the U-S,the hair comes off easily with any brush:thumbs up No knotty tweedy material to get stuck in.

krdahmer
April 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
I love that couch! I should have listened to advice when we went and got our set, the leather is not doing well with the cats, although I have never actually caught them at it, it has some rather bad spots now. And we had a tweed like one last that was supposed to be great for pets... balogna! It didn't even make it 2 years before it was shredded. I've always heard the ultra suede was best for cats... should've listened!