Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WARNING: 2010 Olympic Glasses

rainbow
April 22nd, 2009, 02:16 AM
I received this info from a community list I belong to so thought I'd pass it along ....

WARNING: 2010 Olympic Glasses are Dangerous

I don’t want to be a downer on the 2010 Olympics paraphernalia, however I do believe this needs to be addressed to the public for a SAFETY CONCERN.

The Olympics has put out some glasses to commemorate the event and they are being sold at various locations. Our family purchased 2 of these glasses, thinking we would collect 2 of each kind they make. Although these glasses LOOK fairly sturdy and thick, trust me when I say they are not! Our 2 glasses broke fairly quickly (within a month) while washing them, so thinking that maybe our son was a bit clumsy when doing the dishes, we went and bought 2 more. Then, I broke one while doing the dishes and realized how flimsy they really are.

The safety concern I have about these glasses, and hense this email, comes in regards to how the 4th glass got broken. It broke INSIDE MY SON’S MOUTH! He was taking a drink from one of these glasses when a huge chunk (which splintered into smaller pieces) broke off in his mouth!!! Luckily he was not hurt beyond a small cut on his tongue, however it could have easily been MUCH WORSE! What if he swallowed some of the glass splinters? What if my young toddler had taken a drink from this glass and it happened to her? I don’t even want to imagine the consequences…! Internal bleeding? Possible death? Who know’s?!

So, please warn others on your email list about this potential danger. I will be sending a letter to the sponsor’s of these glasses, but wanted to spread the word about this to as many people as possible, so as to not cause anyone else harm.

UPDATE: The glasses I am referring to are the ones sold at all Petro Canada gas stations. Currently, the only glass that has been released (the one I am referring to) is the “Capilano” glass.

Dog Dancer
April 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, that's scary!! I won't be buying any of those for sure.

TacoGrl
April 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
It's funny cuz I still have some of the gold glasses from the '88 Olympics I got from Petro Canada...guess quality is going down everywhere :frustrated:

Love4himies
April 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the warning.

Where they made in China :rolleyes:?

rainbow
April 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't doubt it since that's where the Roots clothing is made now. :sad: :frustrated: :mad:

Dee-O-Gee
April 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Wow that's pretty scary! I'll be sure to pass along the message--Thanks Rainbow :thumbs up

cell
April 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
are these meant to be used or just to be decoration?

Luvmypitgirls
April 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the warning.

Where they made in China :rolleyes:?

lmao, that's exactly what my MIL would ask!:laughing:

pbpatti
April 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Wow that is so scary, I am happy that your son was not seriously injured. Have you contacted Petro Canada and advised them of the flaws in these glasses? If not please do for the safety of all the children out there.

I found this website that might be helpful to advise Petro Can of the dangers of their glasses. pbp

http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/customerservice/1671.aspx

rainbow
April 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
are these meant to be used or just to be decoration?

Yes, they are meant to be used.

kanis
April 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
We've purchased a few of these and we haven't had any issues yet. We'll be mindful while washing them.

Bina
April 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the warning........I take anticoagulant meds and surely don't need to get cut.

Schwinn
April 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
I have to question the validity of this, same as I do everytime I get these in my e-mail (I'm not questioning you, Rainbow). I mean, this is pretty serious. Everytime I see something like this, though, I wonder, "If it were true, wouldn't it be on the news somewhere?". I can't find anything about it anywhere on the 'net. Usually I'd check Snopes or breakthechain.org, but anything to do with Canada usually isn't on thier radar.

If it weren't true, why would someone lie? I don't know, but I do know that 90% of what I get in my e-mail turns out false (and I get them from my parents, mom-in-law, etc. One that turned out to be pretty scary, and later false, came to me with several VPs of the bank on it!) I'd be cautiously skeptical, to be honest.