Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Guess Penny's Breeds

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
We just received Penny's certificate of DNA breed analysis :goodvibes:. Only two breeds are specified, one primary (one of her parents is a pure breed), one secondary (other parent is most likely a mixture of two breeds, one of which is the same as the other parent). Any one care to take a guess :D?

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
I will say Lab and mybe a pointer in there?? BTW Love this pic!!! Penny is a pretty girl

corky/max
April 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
I can only guess the one breed: Black Lab

Melinda
April 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
can I guess twice?

lab and dobie

lab and dane......

happycats
April 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I say one parent was pure lab and the other a GS lab mix :)

I would love to get Buddy done.....where do you get it done, and about how much does it cost?? (if you don't mind sharing :o)

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Labrador is right but none of the secondary breeds mentioned are correct. I know that I never would have guessed it myself :D.

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
ok...border collie??
or Huskey

happycats
April 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
ummm rotti? maybe JRT, or beagle :D

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
:laughing: No and no.

happycats
April 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
okay more pics please :D

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Poodle lol

CearaQC
April 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Beagle :laughing:

DOH! :wall: Beagle was already mentioned.

Ok... ummmm Whippet? Greyhound?

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Oh LP .....let's see....staffie???

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Oh the suspense is killing me..

Melinda
April 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
greyhound? whippet?? its the way she is sitting....

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Rottie?? Geez LP....I am dying to find out.

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
okay more pics please :D

Will do but it'll take me a few minutes...Sandman put a Parental Block on photobucket :rolleyes: :frustrated:.

Poodle lol

Beagle :laughing:

:laughing:

Oh LP .....let's see....staffie???

That's exactly what I would have guessed too, Benmax. But I was wrong :o.

Melinda
April 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
she just so looks like my brina, lab/shepherd

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Let's see if these help....prolly not :laughing:.

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I always though lab/dane but I see that is wrong. :D

So, I'll go with the lab/greyhound or lab/whippet. :shrug:

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Aww, I love that last pic. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Setter :p

Sandman was jus' tryin' to protect you from all the evilness out there on photobucket! :laughing:

Chow? :o

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
How about if you tell us if the "other" breed is also a large one? :D

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
On second thought, after looking at the pics again, I'm gonna stick with Setter... She's a'pointin' in that one pic! :laughing:

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
I will go wit Hazel on this and say setter

Or mybe mastiff LOL

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Flat coat retriever???

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
A couple little details about her...she weighs approximately 58 lbs, she eats almost twice as much as Lucky and Ava who each weigh about 65-70 lbs, she's super active, super smart, and loves to play fetch/retrieve. She also has the funniest sense of humor, often tricking the other dogs into giving up their toys to her. She even tricks dh into getting up in the middle of the night (she rings the cowbells on the patio door for him to let her out) and by the time he stumbles to the door, she's made a u-turn and steals his spot on the bed :D.

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
A couple little details about her...she weighs approximately 58 lbs, she eats almost twice as much as Lucky and Ava who each weigh about 65-70 lbs, she's super active, super smart, and loves to play fetch/retrieve. She also has the funniest sense of humor, often tricking the other dogs into giving up their toys to her. She even tricks dh into getting up in the middle of the night (she rings the cowbells on the patio door for him to let her out) and by the time he stumbles to the door, she's made a u-turn and steals his spot on the bed :D.

Ok well that sounds like a basset hound but that is absolutely impossible...:laughing: Actually no it doesn't sound like a basset except for the appetite.

This is a tough one LP.

Mat&Murph
COME ON!!!!! teeeeellllllll us!!! :laughing:

Melinda
I think setter also now that I saw the long "feathers" on her hind quarters...

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM

I know - what a meanie!:laughing:

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Lab/Border Collie :D

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
I can't think of anything else. except small breeds.

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Sandman was jus' tryin' to protect you from all the evilness out there on photobucket! :laughing:

Someone's gonna have to protect him from me when he gets home from school today....he keeps changing the password on the computer too :D.

How about if you tell us if the "other" breed is also a large one? :D

I think the other breed is about the same or just a wee bit larger :shrug:.

Or mybe mastiff LOL

:laughing: Too funny!

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Ok I got it.

Alittle of everything!!!!! :laughing:

Tell us!!!!

Winston
April 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Labrador & Pointer?

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think the other breed is about the same or just a wee bit larger :shrug:.

Same size or larger than a lab and she only weighs 58lb? :confused:

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
She has to be a hunting/retrieving breed...think, think....

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
How about if you tell us what colour the other breed is or can be? :D

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
It has to be pointer or Golden retriver

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
How about if you tell us what colour the other breed is or can be? :D
Good idea Rainbow

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
I would love to get Buddy done.....where do you get it done, and about how much does it cost?? (if you don't mind sharing :o)

Here's the website happycats http://www.canineheritage.com/

Hey, I had to wait 9 weeks :D.

I think setter also now that I saw the long "feathers" on her hind quarters...

There's a clue :).

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
golden retriever, or setter

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
It has to be pointer or Golden retriver

:party: Ding ding ding!!!!!!!!! And we have a winner!!!!!!!

Penny's a Labrador Retriever and a Golden Retriever :laughing:. I laughed so hard when I read the results....and Aslan got it on the first guess :frustrated: :laughing:.

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Irish Setter, Gorden Setter, English Setter...Where is Hazel????

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
:party: Ding ding ding!!!!!!!!! And we have a winner!!!!!!!

Penny's a Labrador Retriever and a Golden Retriever :laughing:. I laughed so hard when I read the results....and Aslan got it on the first guess :frustrated: :laughing:.

Get the heck OUT!!!! And no fair Aslan is on site!

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
HAHAHA Tell aslan that she is a smarty pants!!! LOL

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
I agree BM....Aslan gets to up close and personal

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Get the heck OUT!!!!

This was sooo much fun :D.

She only has the two breeds so chances of an error are next to none.

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
That is wild!!!! This was fun though

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
That is wild!!!! This was fun though

This has got to be my favourite thread. I was scrambling...:laughing:

I would have never ever guessed that - even had I been sitting right next to her.

Thanks for the mind twister LP.:D

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
We had Lucky done last year and were told that he's either not on the list of 100 breeds they test for, or he's the King of Mutts :D.

But seeing Aslan was right on with Penny, she surprised me when she said Lucky is part Coyote :eek:.

Next testing is Ava :D.......That will be fun!

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Awww, I missed all the excitement thanks to a hard to get rid of telemarketer. :frustrated:

So lab/golden cross def explains the feathering. :D

But I am surprised that she only weighs 58lb. :o

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
I would have never ever guessed that - even had I been sitting right next to her.

I never would have guessed it either and I'm her mom :yell: :o. Wonder if this is going to make it any more difficult the next time I try to convince dh we need a Golden to add to our brood :D.

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Soo you still have no idea what Kind Lucky is??? I could see coyote. Or dingo.
9 wks to wait for Ava!!

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
But I am surprised that she only weighs 58lb. :o

Just looked it up and both Golden and Lab females average 55-70 lbs. Athough she's quite muscular, I guess she's on the smaller side :shrug:. Don't know anything about her history other than she wasn't socialized well and was found wandering a country road when she was about 5-6 months old. I'm just glad she wandered into our hearts :cloud9:.

Mat&Murph
April 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Awwww LP. She is a pretty girl. Doesn't matter that she is smaller

BenMax
April 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Just looked it up and both Golden and Lab females average 55-70 lbs. Athough she's quite muscular, I guess she's on the smaller side :shrug:. Don't know anything about her history other than she wasn't socialized well and was found wandering a country road when she was about 5-6 months old. I'm just glad she wandered into our hearts :cloud9:.

I am glad she is with you too....hell if I were a dog I would want you as my mom! Woof, woof!!:dog: I feel whiskers growing...itch, itch.

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Golden!?! The Sheriff just bet and lost all his doggy biscuits... :dog: He was sure she must be part setter! 'course he's sure just about any dog is part setter...not that he's biassed or anything! :laughing:

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Golden!?! The Sheriff just bet and lost all his doggy biscuits... :dog: He was sure she must be part setter! 'course he's sure just about any dog is part setter...not that he's biassed or anything! :laughing:

:lightbulb: Seeing we already have a part Golden now (:laughing:still find that too funny), I could convince dh to get a Setter next :crazy: :lovestruck: :cloud9:. We'll eventually need one more to even the pack out right?

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM
That's right! :thumbs up You must have an even number or your pack will list to one side when it walks... :o

:laughing:

Chris21711
April 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Rats, I missed all the fun :frustrated:.....stoopid mission I was sent on :frustrated:

She is a beauty LP.......man you are a tease :rolleyes:

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM

I think Penny looks more like the American (field) lab than the English (show) lab.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/english-american.html

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
This website shows lists the differences between the two in weight ....

http://www.ecology.org/ecophoto/articles/Labs.htm

luckypenny
April 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks for those interesting links rainbow :thumbs up.

I had this idea earlier...if she's only a mix of two breeds, I was wondering if there was a breeder(s) in the area she was found. So I did a bit of research and found only one in the town right next to it (she recently moved out of that area). She breeds Labs and Goldens :rolleyes:. Has 4 males and 7females that she breeds. I'm wondering what the chances are that Penny belonged to an 'accidental' litter.

Dee-O-Gee
April 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Oh rats!! I missed all the fun :sad:

This was interesting LP :thumbs up I especially liked the cow bell ringing :laughing::laughing:

Tundra_Queen
April 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
I guess setter?

clm
April 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I never would have guessed it either. Definately a nice breed mix though. She is a beautiful dog.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I did a bit of research and found only one in the town right next to it (she recently moved out of that area). She breeds Labs and Goldens :rolleyes:. Has 4 males and 7females that she breeds. I'm wondering what the chances are that Penny belonged to an 'accidental' litter.

An interesting idea. :D I know a setter that bays... Turns out the breeder that produced her breeds both setters and hounds. So is the baying a learned behavior or the product of an accidental exchange of genetic material in an unsanctioned liaison, so to speak? :o I wish her owner would run one of the DNA analyses on her! Might be very interesting... :rolleyes:

rainbow
April 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks for those interesting links rainbow :thumbs up.

I had this idea earlier...if she's only a mix of two breeds, I was wondering if there was a breeder(s) in the area she was found. So I did a bit of research and found only one in the town right next to it (she recently moved out of that area). She breeds Labs and Goldens :rolleyes:. Has 4 males and 7females that she breeds. I'm wondering what the chances are that Penny belonged to an 'accidental' litter.

An interesting idea. :D I know a setter that bays... Turns out the breeder that produced her breeds both setters and hounds. So is the baying a learned behavior or the product of an accidental exchange of genetic material in an unsanctioned liaison, so to speak? :o I wish her owner would run one of the DNA analyses on her! Might be very interesting... :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm guessing that both these breeders didn't keep a very close eye on their dogs. :rolleyes: :eek: :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
April 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Might not have been accidental at all :rolleyes: There is a "kennel" in BC that produces 4 different purebreds plus they also use some of those to cross breed for desiger mutts for a total of 8 different "breeds" produced :rolleyes: :frustrated: :loser:

Penny is just adorable :lovestruck: I would've thought Lab x Flat Coated Retriever since she looks much more the flat coat type than a golden :D