Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6 new kittys

llj212
April 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hi our cat just had kittens 2 days ago and today the mom has vomited a large amt- looks like fecal material. she is not eating or paying much attention to the babies. i have kitten formula which i have given to them. What should we do?:cat

14+kitties
April 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry. Your mom cat just had kittens and she isn't paying attention to them, not eating, and is vomiting up what looks like fecal matter and you haven't taken her to the vet why?
Please get her and the kittens to the vet asap or you will be losing all seven of them.

14+kitties
April 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to add - if mom cat dies or is unable to feed her kittens because she is too sick do you know how to look after the kittens for the next 8 to 10 weeks? Feeding every two hours for the first 4 weeks? Stimulating the genital area to encourage defecating/urinating? Weighing daily to make sure kittens are gaining weight (which should be done anyway). Teaching them to use the litter box once they have reached that point?
Cats can not go a long time without eating. Twenty four hours with no food would be a wake up call and can lead to deadly diseases. Not to mention she needs all the nutrients she can get because she is being drained by six little ones. She is in serious trouble.

Love4himies
April 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I am sorry to hear about momma and her precious kittens. Please get her to a vet ASAP and continue with the supplemental feedings every two hours. Kittens should never go more than 3 hours without a feeding. As 14+ has stated, after each feeding stimulate the genital areas so the kitten can relieve itself. Weigh them everyday with a digital kitchen scale. They should be gaining 10 grams a day.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last piece of advice: Once momma has weaned her kittens and her milk has dried up get her spayed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rainbow
April 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
You have just received excellent advice from two of the cat gurus here. :thumbs up

Please take the momma cat and her babies to the vet for a checkup asap. Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr And then 14+kitties and Love4himies will be able to guide you through how to give them the best care possible. :goodvibes:

onster
April 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I just wanted to 2nd/3rd the opinions in the posts above.

Really its the only responsible thing to do....good luck and please keep us updated.

lUvMyLaB<3
April 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
yikes, are you kidding? I am sad you wasted the time to log on to a computer. I am raising foster babies right now because of reasons like this, I don't find this amusing in the least. Get all of them to the vet YESTURDAY!