Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rather cute...but what is it???

onster
April 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Background info:

For the last few days Onnie has had some vigil in front of the backdoor. My response has been "no you are not going out buddy." I didnt know what was up with his sudden obsession?? :shrug: I mean when I do let him out with me he gets obsessed for a day or something but then he gives up. This time I hadnt even let him out but he was spending day and night in front of the door - I thought it was spring fever.

Yesterday I was clearing the deck a bit and moved a bag of birdseed that was against the wall in front of the backdoor. As I was moving it the seed started pouring from underneath but I thought nothing of it. I thought we musta put it down upside down/ it ripped over the winter.

Today Onnie was doing some crazy mind bending acrobatics at the door. My mom felt so bad she ordered :rolleyes: I go out with him. While I went to put on my shoes lil bro put his collar on and opened the door. I came back and lil bro had shut the door and mom was watching Onnie while I came back. Oddly enough Onnie was now begging to come in :shrug::shrug::shrug: He was pawing like mad. So I thought yay i dont have to garden, lol, and let him back in. Then he started pawing at the door like mad (make up ure mind kitteh!!!). I look down and what do I see????

A mouse eating the seeds!!!!

:headslap: now it all makes sense.

Now...what is it??!?! lol. It is such a lucky thing that Onnie is a chicken. I cant believe he ran back inside. I think he wanted mommy to come with him and check out the furry thing :rolleyes:

Ran to get the camera - Onnie doing his vigil. Bunduk confused. You can see Onnie is still wearing his collar. *Ignore the soil on the ground in the backround as well as the knocked over plant. That would be Bunduk harassing my mom's new plant even though he has cat grass :frustrated:

onster
April 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Btw yes I know the deck is a mess...were jsut getting round to spring cleanup.

I cant believe it didnt run away. Bunduk is now chilling upstairs cuz he still doesnt knwo what the excitement is about. Onnie is still watching the furry thing.

I think its rather cute. has a really long tail you cant see clearly in the photos, it goes under the leaf.

Im a lil worried it will want to move in now though :eek::eek::eek:

And is ive come to find out my cats would be rather useless :rolleyes:

Melinda
April 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
its a grey mouse *S*, a vole or mole would not have a long tail, cute little thing

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
The ferocious mousers, eh, onster? :laughing:

They've heard that expression about how curiosity killed the cat and they want no part of it! :thumbs up Smart kitties!!

It is pretty cute...its head looks so big! I wonder if it's a youngster? And how nice of Mr Mouse to help you with spring clean up! :D

chico2
April 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Awww Onster looks like a little field-mouse,they are adorable,but not very good to have around.
We had them in our shed,where we keep birdseeds and corn for the birds and Squirrels,but ended up storing the food in those big plastic-containers with a lid.
They even made nests in our snow-blower and lawn-mower,hubby swearing as he tried to clean them out..
If you don't have any containers,you can get them really cheap at home-depot,it's like a big bucket with a lid.
For a while we had mice outside everywhere,but we drew the line when we had them in the house:yell:no matter how cute they are..
My cats are pretty good mousers outside,but I never let them torture a little mouse,hubby has to rescue it:laughing:
The problem keeping seed-bags outside is,you can also get rats.

Dee-O-Gee
April 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ah what a cute little Despirado :)

It's amazing how Onnie kept up his vigil for days--humph a one track mind :D and a smart one at that :lightbulb:

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
chico, we had the same problem, only with white-footed deermice. We finally bought metal garbage cans for the seed and started putting bounce sheets under the engine hood on the tractor. No more problems! :thumbs up

Also, the mice built a nest under the hood on top of the LP tank. We found out that as long as we left it undisturbed, they didn't even try to get into the house! :D Our LP-man, Rodger, is trained to leave the mouse nest alone when he fills the tank! :laughing:

They're really cute, too, onster--fawn-colored on top with cute white bellies and feet :lovestruck: I really like them, unless they're in the house... :o

onster
April 18th, 2009, 05:08 PM
klmccallum It is amazing! Onnie is the smartest cat Ive ever had (and Ive had many/ taken care of many thru the years). He is patient and creative in getting what he wants. Seems he is also a big chicken. You should have seen him wanting to come back in. It was like he was on a sinking ship outside...his one paw frantically going up and down the glass, eyes bulging. Maaaaaaa its gonna eat me!!!!!! hahahahaha. I think he was trying to tell me that his job was only to notify me of the intruder, not deal with it for heavens sake!

chico ack!!! we had mice in the house before (the attic) and shelled out quite a bit to get rid of them and then have all the possible lil entry ways sealed up. I was hoping it wasnt a mouse. Thanks for the tip: re putting the seed in a sealed container - will certaintly do that. Now that I think of it it was kinda stupid to leave the bag on the deck like that :o

Hrp, melinda & all

are you guys suuuuure its a mouse???? I told my brother it wasnt a mouse! lol it looks nothing like the lil grey mice we did physio experiments on in lab. Note: we didnt do anything cruel. Just measured respiration levels.

I was hoping it was something less likely to cause a nuisance. :sad:

It does have a big head eh? Maybe it is a baby.

Anyway my bro and I did end up gardening for an hour and when we went to come back in the mouse was still in the deck. It didnt move when we came close. My brother got two pots and didnt even have to trap it. Just nudged into one pot with the other. It had no reaction other than to shake violently :sad: We then carried it to the forest near our house and let it free. It didnt want to get out of the one pot so we just left it there.

My lil bro thought maybe it was blind? I figured it must be a defense mechanism but Ive never heard of mice playing dead?!?!

In any case after we took it away Onnie went to sleep on my mom's bed. Seems like his job was done.

I have one more pic Im resizing of mouse from the side.

onster
April 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Oh and I thought its sprawled it lil legs were super cute too..and unmouse like :D

onster
April 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
At some point Bunduk did discover the lil guy
These are fuzzy but mouse from the side

onster
April 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
And just cuz this was on the camera....This was taken when my mom came home and I was busy unloading groceries while lil bro was busy taking incriminating evidence of Bunduk's nomminess.

Bunduk says: why should I think bout mice when I have fresh chicken at my disposal.:rolleyes:

Yes, the nominator is back. Except....I think he ate more Styrofoam then chicken. For those of you wondering why lil bro would take a picture rather then help remove the chicken or the cat from the situation...little brothers do as they please, don't try to understand them :rolleyes:. I dont wanna get whacked with a cat toy again for arguing, eh hazel? :rolleyes::laughing::loser:

rainbow
April 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM
LOL about scaredy-cat Onnie. :D Actually the first time one of my cats seen a field mouse run across the carport it ran the other way :rolleyes: but now the poor little mouses around here don't stand a chance against both my kitties. :evil:

I think your wee mouse looks like a deermouse too ....they are so cute but good thing you caught and released it away from your house. :thumbs up

So Bunduk is back to nomming again. :sad: :frustrated: Thankfully, from the pic he didn't injest too much of the styrofoam since it is made with petroleum. :eek:

Oh, and, cute pics you managed to get too. :D

ancientgirl
April 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
What a cute little mouse! His back legs are long. He looks like one of those kangaroo mouse.

babymomma
April 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
It is 100% without a doubt, A mouse.. A very cute one at that!...He looks different, but we have to keep in mnd all the different kinds of mice out there... I personally have a thing for albinos..:D

hazelrunpack
April 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Yep, looks like a deermouse, onster...actually, a youngish deermouse. That isn't normal behavior for one. I wonder if the little darlin' was sick... :sad:

I have some pics of ours in their top-of-the-LP-tank nest around here somewhere, but I haven't loaded them back onto the new computer yet. :o And then there was the one that ran across the family room and into the bathroom with 8 dogs and a hubby in hot pursuit! :laughing: (And lived to tell the tale. :D) Deermice are cool varmints in hazel's book! :thumbs up As long as they're not in the house! :p

angeldogs
April 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I would agree a deer mouse.it looks bigger then the field mice we get here in the back yard and are black.

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Cute :lovestruck:

chico2
April 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
My cats and I were watching a baby deermouse,he looked like just a big head,absolutely adorable,he picked up a peanut almost bigger than him
and yes,they really do play dead.
Rocky had one and when we noticed,the mouse was belly up and stiff looking,as soon as Rocky was gone and we tried to pick him up to bury,he scurried away,very much alive.:thumbs up
We also had mice in the attic and we found the hole outside where the AC-pipe goes in to the house.

Hazel,I found a mouse-nest too on the side of our house,underneath a pile of brush.
I lifted the brush to take it away and there was a little mouse-family,looked like a dozen pink babies:lovestruck:I quickly put the brush back and it stayed.
They also live in the vine we have in the back of the house,keeps the cats interested,but the mice are safe.

rainbow
April 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
So if it's a deer mouse it looks like bunduk will have some competition :eek: :laughing:

From http://www.pestproductsonline.com/1_rodents_deer_mouse.htm .....

They can chew on wiring, wood, plaster, and dry wall while inside your home.

binkybuff
April 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
A word of warning

If the mouse is a deermouse, be very careful in cleaning up the area. They are known to carry a disease called Hantivirus, which can be deadly in humans. Make sure you have rubber gloves, and a mask on when cleaning the area. I have known several farms to get extremely ill when cleaning out their grain bins, and don't take precautions.

take care
binky

babymomma
April 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I wonder if the little darlin' was sick... :sad:
[/size]

I was wondering the same thing/

Melinda
April 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
sorry I don't have a side shot and they are very very blurry..... this little one is about 10 days old, they will fall asleep after eating....thats why 8 from a litter of 10 will not survive, they fall asleep on the spot after eating....brina brought me this little one that was drowning in a puddle on my deck, he lived and was released at 4 weeks roughly, I know...I'm nuts...but we fed him with a syringe (warm rice water for the first few feedings)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/100_3581.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/100_3584.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/Shelleyb15/100_3582.jpg

babymomma
April 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
By the looks, And the sound of it, Your little mousey had a upper respitory infection... Not moving much and not wanting to leave the pot is normal behaviour for a mouse with a respitory infection, and the way hes hunched over in the pictures point to one too.. Even the way the texture of his fur looks , and the way his face looks points to a respitory infection..

onster
April 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
awwww melinda, that's very sweet of u to care for the lil guy! not nuts @ all.

so the general concensus is a deer mouse huh? Thanks everyone for the ID. Rainbow, im so glad I took it away to the woods now! I dont need any more wire chewing going on.

Binkybuff, thanks for the heads up re: proper cleaning up. Had no idea

BM...It was eating though? I honestly think it was maybe playing dead. Even if it was sick though, I can only hope it will get better on it's own :fingerscr

chico2
April 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Awww Melinda,is it ever cute:lovestruck:
Nothing nuts about giving a living being a helping hand,whether it's a tiny Mouse or a Grizzly-bear:grouphug:

I think Frenchy would just love this thread:laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack
April 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I think Frenchy would just love this thread:laughing::laughing:
chico, you have an :evil: streak! :eek: I've never seen that in you before! :p

:laughing:

onster
April 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM
muahhahahaha

excellent idea chico :evil:

:D