Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it the boy or the girl?

Chama
April 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
So, 9 weeks ago my foster cat had her litter of kittens. There are three black kittens and two tabbys and the vet told me which were males and which were females.

The tabbys look pretty much identical and now I can't tell which is which but I know that there is one female and one male. I know there is the whole colon, semi-colon way of thinking but I still can't tell. The one that I originally thought was the boy is now throwing me off because although I originally thought there was a small dot at the bottom, now I think that might just be a little bit of darker fur. I guess my question is, do they usually have darker fur around their genitals.

Sorry, I know this question probably sounds ridiculous.

14+kitties
April 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hubby says to shake them. The male rattles. :rolleyes:

At nine weeks old the kitties should be showing little sacs if one is a boy. His penis will be further away from his anus with a small sac behind it. Yes, the fur may be a little darker. A female's vagina will be closer to the anus.

catlover2
April 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
The females have a slit below the anus.

check out these sketches:

http://www.moggies.co.uk/catguide/html/mf.html

chico2
April 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My Tabby-boy,of course he has been neutered,but he now has two little black dots,where his thingys used to be,so yes,he was kind of black there.:cat:

Aiffe
August 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
lol, I feel your pain. The male's "innie" penis looks rather a lot like a vagina.

The way I tell is usually either the presence of testicles (which in very young kittens or some neutered toms can be hard to see) or the presence of what I think is probably the clitoris on the female, which will appear as a little furry lump beneath the vagina. Since the male's penis is in his "hole," he won't have a lump under it.