Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, my lil buddy is acting up

Shift
April 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have an 8 yr old toy chihuahua and recently he started peeing in his crate every night and he's been sneaking around the house and pooping and peeing. He still goes to the bathroom outside but its like he saves some to go in the house too. I've always had a problem with him trying to mark his territory inside as well now and then but he's also been doing that more. We thought maybe he was mad about something and lashing out so we have been for the last 2 weeks just showing him as much love and attention we possibly can but he's still at it. And my 6 year old son was sitting with him just petting him and he snapped at his hand out of no where for no reason. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

t.pettet
April 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
A vet visit for total check-up including urinary tract, dental etc. would be a good idea to ascertain whether he has a physical ailment or its a behavioural problem.

Bailey_
April 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I have an 8 yr old toy chihuahua and recently he started peeing in his crate every night and he's been sneaking around the house and pooping and peeing. He still goes to the bathroom outside but its like he saves some to go in the house too. I've always had a problem with him trying to mark his territory inside as well now and then but he's also been doing that more. We thought maybe he was mad about something and lashing out so we have been for the last 2 weeks just showing him as much love and attention we possibly can but he's still at it. And my 6 year old son was sitting with him just petting him and he snapped at his hand out of no where for no reason. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your little guy is not feeling himself. When an older dog starts exhibiting unsual behavior, I would definitely reccomend getting him checked out; as t.pettet said, it could be something to do with his urinary tract.
Sometimes when a dog is feeling stressed out for other health reasons, they'll start relieving themselves where they feel comfortable (in their crate, or your home) - so it's best to take your pooch to a vet and make sure he's okay.