Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartworm season - What is the best prevention?

AussieAirlie
April 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I just got back from the vet and $160 later I have "Advantage multi 55" for my dog. I know there are many different medications including shots. Anyone have an opinion on what the best way to prevent all of the worms and others bugs that my dog can get into?

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM
We use Heartgard and Heartgard Plus, mostly because it offers some protection against not just heartworm but some other types of worms, like hooks, too. We've still had cases of hookworms (one summer they were just so prevalent that they overwhelmed the meds) but Merial made good on it and we got a rebate. :thumbs up Can't ask for better customer service and for the most part, we've had no complaints about the product. :D

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
My Eskimo is on chewable Sentinel - used to be on topical Revolution - but with a double-coated dog, they were finding that it was hard to get the topical into the skin properly without shaving a spot - and I agree - a nightmare. We live in Toronto - for the past 2 years he has been on Sentinel 12 months a year due to our so-called wamer winters - and the little beasties that are in the ground and accessible to dogs - many dogs were showing up at vets in Jan. with conditions that would be prevented by the heartworm meds. And, yep, 12 months doubles the cost for the little devil.

ScottieDog
April 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I use HeartGuard Plus for my Scotties. Where I live, I treat year-round. During flea season, I use Canine Advantix. My vet specifically wants this flea treatment verses a pill due to my dog's flea bite dermatitis. He says HeartGuard is a very safe medication.

Dr Lee
April 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
This is not an easy answer. There is NO best medicine for all. There may be a best medicine for your demographic and pet lifestyle though. As far as efficacy against heartworms - most all of them work very well. I personally like Heartgard due to the high safety factor (most dogs would require eating about a 7 year supply to get to average toxicity levels. Collies breeds need to eat about 20 doses before toxicity). With that said...

Heartgard may not always be the best. It is great against roundworms and hookworms which are the two most common intestinal parasites that people get from their dogs. However... it does not take care of tapeworms or whipworms.

Revolution takes care of roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms. It also takes care of fleas however is very poor against ticks. So most people that are in tick territory will have to look for something else.

So....

If you are just looking for heartworm the choices it is hard to go wrong. If you are looking for other parasites (fleas, other phases of flea life (larvae, eggs, etc...), ticks, sarcoptic mange, hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, tapeworms, ear mites...) then my recommendation would be to ask your veterinarian. It would be important to explain your pet's lifestyle (live in backyard/ranch/couch??). Also if there is a little interaction or a lot with people or people that are young/old/immune compromised, etc..