Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

If you are new to Pets...

JennieV
April 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I think that you should be aware, that while it is very generic in name(Pets.ca), majority of the members here are very pro-neuter/spay. Most of the long-time members are involved in rescue of some sort and feel very strongly about breeding of dogs or cats. Especially, there is no particularly good reason to do so.

Please, consider reading up a little bit of information prior to posting your question, maybe search the subject, you will find that alot of questions have been already answered this way or another. If your question pertains to whether or not your pet requires immediate medical attention - it probably does, otherwise you wouldn't be asking it...and you should address that question to your vet as soon as you can.

While we are happy to help with whatever we can, it really creates an unpleasant situation when we are asked about breeding and breeding-related issues. Or when we realize that you are sitting at your computer, waiting for or answers and your pet may be dying. :sad: The emotions get the best of us and it becomes very obvious.

I, for one, am a very strong-minded individual, I tend to get aggressive and say certain things that I would have said differently. :shrug: A lot of us here take the animal welfare too close to heart and sometimes things get out of control.

So, to end my post on a positive note, welcome to the Forum, please post responsibly...:laughing:

Bailey_
April 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for posting this JennieV.

:thumbs up

BenMax
April 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
JennieV - you are so transparent we know exactly where you stand and why. No beating around the bush with you Girl.:thumbs up

If someone does not want to know the truth...don't ask JennieV.

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately if people can't be bothered to read the posted rules I can't see them bothering to read this informative thread either. :shrug:

marko
April 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think that you should be aware, that while it is very generic in name(Pets.ca), majority of the members here are very pro-neuter/spay. Most of the long-time members are involved in rescue of some sort and feel very strongly about breeding of dogs or cats. Especially, there is no particularly good reason to do so.

Please, consider reading up a little bit of information prior to posting your question, maybe search the subject, you will find that alot of questions have been already answered this way or another. If your question pertains to whether or not your pet requires immediate medical attention - it probably does, otherwise you wouldn't be asking it...and you should address that question to your vet as soon as you can.

While we are happy to help with whatever we can, it really creates an unpleasant situation when we are asked about breeding and breeding-related issues. Or when we realize that you are sitting at your computer, waiting for or answers and your pet may be dying. The emotions get the best of us and it becomes very obvious.

I, for one, am a very strong-minded individual, I tend to get aggressive and say certain things that I would have said differently. A lot of us here take the animal welfare too close to heart and sometimes things get out of control.

So, to end my post on a positive note, welcome to the Forum, please post responsibly..

Although the general pulse of our forum is summarized by your post, please do not post aggressively. These posts end up closed and nobody learns anything when tact/diplomacy/politeness/restraint is not used.

We were ALL uneducated newbies once - please let's never forget that.

As always members are free to PM me or any MOD directly if threads are out of hand or look like they are going that way.

many thx in advance,

Marko
ADMIN

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
hey it never hurts to try

JennieV
April 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks BenMax..LOL :laughing:

Marko, that is why I rarely get on the board. Because I get emotional, I take things to my heart and I am not the one to hold back. I am learning, but it's hard, when you get these questions, that just get under your skin. And its a shame, because everyone here has A TREASURE of information to share.

Yes, we were all once newbies, and that is why I politely suggested that the new person take a few minutes to search the info. And no, I didn't read the rules first when I joined, that is why I wanted to post an actual post.. :) And it'd help if it was indicated nice and clear that a lot of us here are very pro-neutering.

I try to always remain polite, and I respect that everyone has their opinions but if I am angry about something the person is asking or saying - I can't help it. If I cannot speak my mind - I won't bother coming here at all. Theres just no point. I know you can't win this battle, but I won't give up the fighting nonetheless. :shrug: Must be the Taurus in me! :laughing:

Winston
April 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Marko I was just wondering if when someone joins can you set them up so that they can review the basic rules of the forum and then agree to them? sort of like when you download software it makes you accept the license agreement? It could be brought forward more like rules or things to remember when you join and at that point they agree or not?

I know some may think this is a waste of time but maybe some people are not getting the point about the rules and need it sort of brought to the fore front when they join. Just a thought?

I will also admit 100% that I DID NOT READ THE RULES when I joined. :sad: but it didnt keep me from going anywahere! :laughing:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Great idea Winston!! Hopefully they would read the rules that way. But they would have to be kept rather short and to the point. I know when I see an accept/don't accept I don't bother to read the terms. I just hit accept. :o For some reason though when I joined this forum I did read the rules first. :shrug: Weird.

Winston
April 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah it should be brief and to the point if possible. I have a solution though?

One sentence in font size that is REALLY LARGE that says

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PRO SPAY AND NEUTER FORUM AND WE ARE NOT VETS!

Short and sweet!

JennieV
April 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PRO SPAY AND NEUTER FORUM AND WE ARE NOT VETS!

I like! :thumbs up:thumbs up So Marko, what do you think? :laughing:

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM
lol well marko as always is being the epitome of tact and inner calm
jen do what i do maybe dont look or go pet a furball

marko
April 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
lol well marko as always is being the epitome of tact and inner calm
jen do what i do maybe dont look or go pet a furball

That's funny Jim! Truth be told, I always try to project calm, but i'm not always feeling it:D I've been doing this for a while...so i think I know what works and what doesn't work on newbies.

With regard to the rules thing, let me look into some possible changes to make things clearer.

many thanks everyone!
marko

JennieV
April 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Marko, with regards to the rules, I was thinking that if this could be made into a nicely visible line, right before the new person clicks on "submit", with their name etc... So there would be no way they could have not seen it.
I think that would help reduce all these random posts by people who are trying to get information on breeding. :shrug:

Maybe even put the info right ON the button? Just thinking out loud. :2cents:

LavenderRott
April 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Interesting.

Maybe we could try calm and reasonable education of people.

Or better yet - just closing the forum and not allowing any newbies at all. That should just about solve the "problem".

marko
April 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have modified the rules to include the following bolded phrase RIGHT BEFORE new members click the "I agree to the rules" button.

I have read, and agree to abide by the Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca rules. Please Note: Everyone is welcome but most of us are VERY pro spay/neuter and 99 percent of members are NOT vets.

Let's see if it helps,

Thanks everyone!
Marko

JennieV
April 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks Marko! thats is awesome! I hope that it will help!

As far as closing the thread - yup, that would sure solve the problem! Once and for all.

What I was trying to achieve was not to offend anyone, but suggest a clearer and more visible way to define most of the people, who frequent the forum, and try to reduce the amount of threads that cause fighting and aggressiveness.

On my side, I am going to try and reduce the amount of energy I spend answering these threads.

marko
April 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Or answer them diplomatically if you can;)

Thx - Marko