Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally a breakthrough!!

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
It has been quite a while since kr brought Kitty McKat out to me. Mid October I think. He is the one I swear was abused. Slowly over the months I have seen strides with him. He got to the point where he would let me pet him for longer than a few strokes, then finally last week I was able to pick him up and hold him for about a minute before he started showing aggression. This morning I sat in the chair in his little shed to see what he would do. He climbed onto the little bed beside the chair and then on to my knee!! He took a while before he settled but he finally sat and let me scritch him. Never got to the point where he laid down but...... it's a start!!!
Just wanted to share my little success. I wish I could say as much for the ones in the garage... :sad:

BenMax
April 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
14+ you amaze me. These small little victories mean so very much...to them.:)..and us of course.

Great work, patience and never giving up. You are one wonderful human being.:grouphug:

Chris21711
April 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Great 14k :thumbs up

How are the boys in the garage doing?

Jim Hall
April 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
there you go diva du says good work

clm
April 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
It's such a great feeling. Congrats 14+.

Cindy

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Aw thanks ladies. I am working on building a protected area so he can go outside of his shed and the other kitties can't get to him. It will let him get some fresh air and they can all get to know each other before I hopefully let him in with the others. :fingerscr Hopefully by the end of the week the fence will be finished and they can all get outside. Hubby is working at it. :thumbs up (Pics to follow)

As for the ones in the garage...... I am not making any headway. I have a feeling I will have to neuter and release them. I will keep food in the garage for them though so if they want they can come eat. Not much else I can do.

I have to talk to the tenant though. He keeps letting his Siamese cat out and he comes down and eats all their food. :frustrated:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Jim and clm. It is a great feeling!! :cloud9:

Love4himies
April 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
That is great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs up :highfive:.

All kitties love to get loved, some just need more time to learn, great job, 14+.

ancientgirl
April 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM
That's fantastic! Every little bit counts. It's such a wonderful feeling when they do stuff like that. I'm sure he'll get to the point where he'll be laying on your lap. He's already comfortable enough to sit so laying down is just around the corner!:goodvibes:

TacoGrl
April 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
:goodvibes:

That is great news!!! Next thing you know, he will be kneeding your stomach when you are trying to watch TV/read or "helping" you type when you are on the computer! The shy ones REALLY come out of their shells when they decide to...I had one tearing around on my bed last night, biting my toes, jumping on my stomach :rolleyes:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
It's definitely a step in the right direction for him. Next step........ integrating him with the other kitties in the sanctuary..

Winston
April 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
14+ the kitty angel strikes again! Great work MF! You have this way about you! I think I am going to change your name to the Cat Whisperor! you have the knack thats for sure!

I really hope the other 2 can come around! I would hate to see you have to release them? I guess in a sense its good that the 2 of them are mates :thumbs up

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I really hope the other 2 can come around! I would hate to see you have to release them? I guess in a sense its good that the 2 of them are mates :thumbs up

I guess what it will come down to with Big Guy and Little Guy is the pros and cons. Can I put them in the sanctuary and hope that they will be happy in a 1/4 acre area? Can they eventually get along with my other kitties? Can I afford to take the chance that they won't injure my other ones? They will live a longer life. Can they be put in with my others and not pass anything along disease wise?
If I let them go I know they will head back to the bush. They know that as home. They will be able to come and go to get food from the garage. Their life will probably be cut short by coyotes or illness.
These are all questions I have been asking myself. Believe me, it isn't easy. I am really torn.

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry you have such a hard decision with the Garage Guys :grouphug:

But that's wonderful about Kitty McKat! I can imagine you're on :cloud9:!