Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jack Russell question

Dougskeat
April 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Is this the right place to ask this - I am very worried about my dog please help

Hi -Doug here - We have a ten week old Jack Russel and he went in for second shots today - he made a lot of noise and was very unhappy at the time - but soon settled down. It is now about 6 hours after shots and he is very tender at the site of the injection much yelping if yiu stroke him there- normal?

BenMax
April 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Doug - it's normal. Your pup may even be alittle tender for a couple of days. You may notice a bump at the injection site and a difference in habits as well such as eating little less, sleeping abit more. There may even be a difference in his movements for a day or two. No need to worry.

If this persists for more than 2 days then I would say call the vet. If something is nagging at you and does not feel right - then follow your gut.

Your worries can be subdued with a phone call to your vet.

Dougskeat
April 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi Doug - it's normal. Your pup may even be alittle tender for a couple of days. You may notice a bump at the injection site and a difference in habits as well such as eating little less, sleeping abit more. There may even be a difference in his movements for a day or two. No need to worry.

If this persists for more than 2 days then I would say call the vet. If something is nagging at you and does not feel right - then follow your gut.

Your worries can be subdued with a phone call to your vet.

Thank you I feel much better and will sleep 2nite

Melinda
April 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
very normal Doug, Brina has a lump for a few days when ever she gets her shots, I know with an adult large dog the vet tells us if its tender to the touch to give her a bayer asprin, but you'd have to call him about the pup.

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yes, very normal. We freaked several years ago when one of our Dachshunds exhibited same after having shots - and being experienced with Dachshund disc disease raced to the vet. Our Eskimo had his 5th physical last week and printed on reverse of vaccination certificate was a complete listing of possible side effects - including the tenderness and how long to wait before contacting the vet. Guess they have had a lot of calls.