Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For All You Guys With Leash Issues!!!!

pattymac
April 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ok, first you have to try this before poohpoohing it. All you need is your leash and even just a flat buckle collar, and of course, your dog!! Now with your dog on your left, place your left hand on the leash about a foot from your dog's collar, with your right hand, loop the rest of the leash around your dog's chest and hold it in your right hand. Keep your left hand loose and relaxed on the leash. All it takes is a gentle give and take with your right hand when your dog starts to pull. I used this with Bayley today going to the park. We haven't been to the park for 2 days (eternity for her!!) so she was let's go let's go..hurry hurry quick!!!! Aha..guess what Mom fooled her and she only needed a few little tugs to stop pulling :) and lots of praise. Bonus it keeps the dog close too. If you want to see more and video plus directions for the dog who likes to back up or spin. DogstarDaily has video and instructions. Just look for the Balanced Leash

muggsmom
April 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks, I will definitely try this! Muggs is horrible on the leash, he has a great sniffer and living in the country there are SOOOOO many things to sniff.

mollywog
April 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
pattymac, could you please post a link? I tried to search that website but couldn't find it. I think the video would explain it better... I am a visual learner!

pattymac
April 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.dogstardaily.com/videos/walking-balance-ttouch

There's the link, hope it helps!

muggsmom
April 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok, I'm impressed. I have walked Muggs up and down the driveway (it's fairly long) a few times, and it works great! I had to put the leash between his legs and under the collar because he was backing up, and after a few times I didn't have to correct him, he just felt the tension and slowed down. I'll have to take him for a long walk later, but so far so good!

cell
April 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
you can also do the same thing as the video but loop it behind the front legs so when the dog pulls it tightens in the armpits. I've seen this method used alot by flyball people whos dogs try to strangle themselves at competitions.

Bailey_
April 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
This is SO awesome! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
April 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Well you hit that spot on Pattymac :thumbs up

Many years ago when we had a dalmation, we took her to obedience school. The technique that you have described has lived with us for over 14 years :lightbulb:

Something so simple can make all the world of difference :lightbulb:

Mat&Murph
April 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
This works great!!! Even with a mastiff. Thanks alot for sharing

mollywog
April 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
thanks Pattymac, I have never seen this before. Molly can be a puller (we are working on it....) so I will have to give this a try!!!

Chaser
April 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Will definately be trying this out - thanks for posting it!

pattymac
April 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM
No problem, glad I could help out a little

Etown_Chick
April 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I couldnt get the video to play, but I did a search and the Calgary Humane Society has a good article on it. It also includes why it works and why pulling against the dog, does not work.
Tried it at the park today. My leash is too short, but man this actually makes sense! I think a couple of us are going to try it.

http://www.calgaryhumanesociety.ca/controlling_pulling_and_lunging.pdf

Romeo's #1 Fan
April 26th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I am SO going to try this! Romeo is a "puller" as well, that has always been the area of training that is a challenge for me, and let me tell you, he may be small (mixed pug/chihuahua) and about 13 pounds, but he is muscular and strong! I can't wait to try it. I also have a double end leash that is mentioned in the written information, so I'll try with both. Thanks for sharing ~ I'll report back. It makes sense though because when Romeo would step over his leash, thereby having it down his chest, he would automatically walk slower! :D

rainbow
April 26th, 2009, 01:33 AM
The video showed the dogs walking back and forth on a sundeck. :rolleyes: Also, neither dog appeared to be very strong pullers at all. :shrug:

Has anyone tried this method on an aggresive puller where they have encountered other dogs on their walk?

pattymac
April 26th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Yup! Bayley is a master puller and can be leash aggressive. If they can back out of the leash around the chest then you bring it under one front leg and up then slip the leash under the collar so it still crosses their chest. I think the video shows that too. But it does work even with master pullers. And when she's in a hurry to get to the dog park!

mollywog
April 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Molly is a strong puller. I have tried a no-pull harness, but that wasn't working so now I am using the Halti with quite a bit of success. I tried this method out of curiosity, and the leash always ended up across her neck when she pulled. It might have something to do with the fact that she is quite short. But it didn't work for me. :shrug: I will stick to the Halti instead.

Bailey_
April 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Mollywog, if you fast forward the video to the end, you will see another type of method where you can put the leash under the leg and that prevents the leash from coming across the neck. I used this method in my class recently and have two clients with small dogs (one is a cockapoo x and the other is a border collie/corgie) and the 'under the leg' leash worked perfectly for them. :)

Etown_Chick
April 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Ok the in front of the chest thing doesn't really work, it keeps sliding up to his neck. Will try the under one leg thing and report back. Scruffy is a major puller, esp when there cats and bunnies around.

kandy
April 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've used this method with my collie mutt since I got him. He's not a big dog, but he pulls like one. I didn't know that anyone actually teaches this method, I tried it because it seemed like it would be similar to how the halti works - that when they pull, the tension pulls them sideways. I use a harness on Malone, so I hook the leash to the hook on his back and then loop it around his chest. It works like a champ, even when he sees other dogs or something else that he'd like to investigate quickly. As soon as the leash tightens on his chest, he slows right down. I've noticed that if he pulls all of a sudden, the leash can slide up his chest a bit but it's never caused any problems because he quits pulling when it gets tight so it slides right back down.

Miss Dottie
June 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Wow, I tried this after going through Every method with my 1.5 yr old lab... (she is Very stuborn with the tree method believe me!) and this worked so well....The very first time I tried it we went for an hour and a half walk and it seems like she finally "gets" what I am asking of her!! It has made trying to train her without the leash in front of her chest easier as well!!