Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing Miss Luna!

SolaMio
April 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hi all! Sorry I've been away for so long :o ... But I have good news!

DH and I have a new addition: Luna! :D She is a deaf Sibe, and is adjusting very well. Hopefully will have more pics soon. She and Sola are getting along well and she doesn't seem to mind the kitties at all!

Anyone have experiences with hearing impaired rescues? We've had great advice from the rescuer so far, great support.

Hope you like her :lovestruck:

Lukka'sma
April 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Aww, she's pretty.

LavenderRott
April 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
If you google "deaf dogs", you will get a ton of websites with information that may be helpful.

This one looked interesting and informative...

http://www.deafdogs.org/

If you searh yahoo groups - I can't imagine that you won't find a message group for deaf dog owners. There are yahoo groups for many dog related illness and such (not saying that deafness is an illness!).

Chaser
April 10th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Awwww....what a beauty! :cloud9:

Good for you rescuing a special needs dog! :thumbs up

diandpat
April 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Wow, Luna is beautiful :cloud9:

Our Ginger is now deaf but really it seems to bother us more than her :laughing:

Definitely read up on it on the site that LavenderRott suggested and there is a deaf dog group on Yahoo that will be helpful too, I am sure. Your best help is going to come from Sola. She will follow what Sola is doing.

I know that Hobo definitely keeps Ginger stimulated with the goings on around here as she "hears" him bark and follows him wherever he is going.

Thank you for taking in a special needs dog. I am sure you are going to be wondering how you ever lived without her in no time :thumbs up

SolaMio
April 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks all!!

Yes, the deafdogs.org site is very informative. In fact, it is one that the rescuer recommended to us. Luna can hear some noises, like mecanical noises (such as the click-click of nails being cut) and also high pitches like whistling. She also seems to be able to hear Sola bark, but the verdict is still out. Poor girl was set to be euthanized because of her hearing impairment. The rescue we got her from specializes in special needs dogs, mostly blind aussies and deaf sibes.

Luna is a very very sweet girl. She knows a few basic signs, like those for sit, stay, down etc. What's kind of funny is that someone (possibly on pets.ca) recommended that I teach Sola hand signs along with her regular training, just in case she ever had hearing loss. Seems like it came in handy :)

We're very lucky to have her. She's also very soft like a persian kitten, :cloud9:

chico2
April 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
SolaMio..soon to be SolaLuna;)
Luna is beautiful,looks just like my neighbors Fate,she is all white with beautiful blue eyes,not deaf though.
Thank dog for rescue people who prevented her from being put down and thank you for adopting her.:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
April 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Oh, she's a beauty, SolaMio! :flirt: Quite the looker!

Thank you for giving Ms Luna a loving home. :grouphug:

So when do we get pics of Luna and Sola together? Hmmm? :D

Magicwildwolf69
April 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM
oh my she is very pretty! :cloud9: i just want to reach through my screen and pet her.

growler~GateKeeper
April 11th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Awww Luna is Gorgeous!!! :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9:

LuckyPenny was fostering a deaf pittie pup not that long ago, perhaps she can give you some pointers on what worked for her.

SolaMio
April 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks everyone! We feel very lucky.. Yes she is very huggable :)

LooneyBoone
April 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
-plots ways to steal Luna- http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/ninjastealth.gif
She's beautiful, no advise sorry, just wanted to comment on the pretty gal.